May 2013 Moms
Options

Pumping routine

My LO is 11 weeks old and is EBF. I'm going back to work until Septemer but I'd like to start a pumping routine. I pump occasionally if I'm going out without him but I have a hard time getting a good amount. I think I'm pumping at the wrong times which is why I'm not getting out a lot. To the pumping moms what's your routine? Should pump right after he eats or wait awhile? I have a manual and an electric pump. I use the manual pump during his feedings but I would like to start using the electric pump more. Thanks!

Re: Pumping routine

• Options
    I pump right before bed around 10pm. DS goes to sleep between 7:30-830. I get about 3oz which all goes in the freezer.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    I'll tell you what I do but it may not be the best way. 
    J gets up around 8 and eats every 3 hours or so. I usually pump at around 9:30-10:00 and get anywhere from 3-5 oz.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    helenkayj said:
    I'll tell you what I do but it may not be the best way. 
    J gets up around 8 and eats every 3 hours or so. I usually pump at around 9:30-10:00 and get anywhere from 3-5 oz.
    I can't figure out how to edit! Anyway, that should say am in there. 

I'll also say that while I don't have any sort of supply problem, oatmeal has been part of my breakfast routine for a long time. I took a break from it while visiting my parents for a week and noticed a drop in my supply! Granted it wasn't enough to make me worry or cause problems but I noticed a difference.

• Options
    jonesma204jonesma204 member
    edited August 2013
    I EP and have since DD was about 2 weeks old (she is now 11 weeks). I pumped more in the beginning, but currently pump3x a day. When I wake up (generally 7ish), then 2x more times, usually again between 2-3 and again before bed around 11. I am currently getting about 20 oz/day.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!
  • Options
    I pump in the morning after she eats and at night a few hours after she has gone to bed.  
  • Options
    emmy236emmy236 member
    edited August 2013
    I'm an EPer but the times I get extra milk is in the morning and at night. I usually get 2 full bottles at my first pump 6:30-7am and then at night after DS has gone to bed. Those might be good times to get some extra! As of right now I can freeze about 2oz extra that I'm saving for when I have to go back to work on the 20th
  • Options
    I EBF and I have been adding one pumping session in the morning to create a stash when I go back to work.  She feeds when she wakes up and I pump while she takes her first morning nap, usually between 8-10 am.  I've been pumping daily since July 22 and started with around 5oz during that session, to getting close to 8oz now.  

I freeze 4oz and give the remainder in a bottle for her to practice for when I'm back at work.  I calculated how much milk I had stored the other day and it's over a gallon now.  I find that kind of amazing/cool.

PS I have a double electric pump

• Options
    How long do you pump for doing it 3 times a day? I am currently at 4 times a day and am looking to go down to 3.. I may eventually stop all together but was wondering how successful you were with just 3 a day. I seemed to still get enough with only 4 times a day.
  • Options
    I EP so mine will be different but I pump at 5:30 am as my first pump of the day and then every 3.5 to 4 hours throughout the day (so twice while I'm at work). I pump between 31 and 39 ounces per day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"