Health & Exercise
Options

headache following exercise

I am currently going on 15 weeks and recently got back to the gym after a hiatus - one that lasted even prior to my pregnancy and throughout first trimester. In the past, I've done strength training and running. I certainly didn't want to overdo anything, so I started by walking on the treadmill on an incline - nothing big at all but for an hour at a time. I drink water the entire time and hardly even work up a sweat (I could have a conversation easily). After I'm done, I've noticed that a headache settles in for the remainder of the day. It feels like a sinus or tension headache. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, what was the outcome? I'm trying so hard not to overdo it but for some reason, even when I exert myself just a little I get a headache. This has been going on for over a week, now. 

Re: headache following exercise

• Options
    I can remember a lot of the little quirks of early pregnancy, but I'm having trouble recalling what triggered my slight headaches early on. I did have similar issues when it came to headaches, but I'm not sure they were tied to my workouts.

With that said, something you may want to consider is your overall fluid intake. Early on as your blood volume increases, your body needs more fluid than you've ever been used to drinking. I always have a tall glass of water with me or my water bottle and I am constantly drinking to stay hydrated. Even if you're drinking throughout a workout, you may still be too low in your overall intake, triggering a headache as a result.

It's certainly something to consider and I would ask your OB about it next time you have an appointment. I hope it doesn't stop you from being active because my activity has truly made all the difference in my pregnancy. I just had an appointment today (36w) and I still feel great and baby is doing really well. Whatever you can do to stay active and keep listening to your body will help your mental and physical self throughout this pregnancy! Best of luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks. The thing is - I drink a TON of water each day (at least 64 ounces if not closer to 96 some days). I guess dehydration might be a concern in the morning when I exercise (after 8 hours of sleeping and only a bit of water in the AM). I'll have to play around with it. I have an appointment with my OB next week, at which point I'll ask. I just don't want people to tell me to stop exercising, because I already feel better in other ways from doing it and I suspect this isn't a big deal. I was having headaches throughout first trimester, too, so it is possible this is only partially related to exercise. Ugh. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB recommends more than 10, 8 oz. glasses each day for anyone, and if you're working out, it must increase from there. So it sounds like it could be slightly related to hydration especially if you're only at 64 oz. some days. It's definitely worth asking about to be sure! It doesn't sound like you'll be told to stop exercising. There are more serious reasons someone would be told to refrain from exercise, and headaches aren't one of them (migraines may be a game changer). Keep doing what you can!

• Options
    I had pregnancy related hypertension with my last child - I had to go on bed rest and then was induced a week early, so that is why I'm worried the headaches might be a game changer. I was given the go ahead to exercise by my OB, but everybody is being so cautious. My blood pressure has been absolutely fine. I assume exercise would only help keep things in the healthy range, assuming I'm closely monitored (which I am). Wow - that is a ton of water. I guess I'll drink up even more and see how it goes. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"