Potty Training

When to start? Newbie.

My daughter is 14m 1w

We talk about potty, changing diapers, and poop. I feel like starting to talk about it early is a good idea. Well, when she poops -- she will grab her diaper and say "poop" and walk over to me to be changed. Could it be time to start potty training? Or am I crazy to even be contemplating this yet?

Re: When to start? Newbie.

• That is pretty awesome that she does that already. Usually 18 mo is the earliest I hear of them being ready but you can for sure start introducing things and see how it goes.

When you see her going tell them they are going poo or pee so she start to relate the sensation/ act to the word.

Get a potty and get her use to it, have her sit on it and show her dolls going potty even. Some kids have problems potty training because the potty is foreign to them. This will make her comfortable about it.

Then I would start researching what method you want to use. The three day method is popular and what seems to work at the youngest age from what I see.

Good luck!
    You will never know how much you mean to me my little jelly Bean.
    Mommy loves you Eevee! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    <a href="http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz270/cpali/?action=view
  • I don't think it is impossible.  I only thing I would worry about is if she physically is able to hold her urine and BM's.  I was just doing some research the other day and one of the readiness signs for potty training is whether or not they stay dry for at least 2 hours at a time.  

About a month ago (DD was 16 months) I started introducing the potty seat to her.  When I change her diaper I sit her on the potty for a second or two just to make her comfortable with it. When I have to pee I tell her I am going potty and I leave the door open. Sometimes she will walk by and see me sitting on the potty.  I can usually tell when she is having a BM because she squats and/or goes in the corner.  I make sure to use language like "you're pooping, good job".  I am going to wait a little while until I go all out with potty training though mostly because DD isn't talking a lot yet, I want her to be able to tell me when needs to go.   

I say go for it. Give it a try.  If she doesn't seem to be catching on, just stop, wait a couple months, and try again. Good luck!   

Married DH September 2008
    DD1 Born March 2012
    DD2 Due November 2014

image         image

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"