1st Trimester

Help! 6 weeks pregnant and test is FAINT

Hi ladies. I was really hoping I could get some type of insight from you. I am currently between 6-7 weeks pregnant (not sure when I ovulated). Until my first ultrasound scheduled on 8/13 i've been taking pregnancy tests every now and then just to show me i'm still pregnant. I took a test yesterday morning and it was a dark positive line and then for some reason I took a test this morning with first morning urine as well only to get a VERY faint line. I don't know what's going on! I thought maybe it was a bad test, diluted urine (even though it was fmu), or something. So I got a different test from a different box and it was the same result. I've had no cramping or bleeding so it's all very confusing. I feel like it's too late for a chemical pregnancy so I don't think it's that, but what else could be it? I've taken more tests since then with the same result. ALL FAINT. Any ideas? Could this be an impeding miscarriage? I also thought your pregnancy test wouldn't turn negative until maybe a couple weeks after tissue has been lost. Nothing has been lost for sure. Not even in pain! HELP! I would appreciate any insight. I'm no longer testing because i'm so nervous. Calling doctor on Monday.
pregnancy

Re: Help! 6 weeks pregnant and test is FAINT

• people are always so quick to say that the strength of the line doesn't mean anything, but i totally disagree.  a strong line DOES mean more hcg in your system, so the fact that you're peeing lighter positives is of concern to me.  all you can do is wait for monday...  i'm so sorry.  i realize the next 36 hours will creep by as if time was moving backwards, but there's really nothing you can do from an at-home standpoint.

keep us posted??  i have encountered a similar situation and i remember how awful it made me feel, so i really do sympathize with you.  i'm sorry this stress is your reality right now :(
  • Thank you for responding. This is hard. I don't know if I should prepare for miscarriage or not. It's just weird to have the test so faint, but no bleeding or cramping. I know in the past I miscarried around this time frame and I had a test stay positive for weeks before it turned negative. So it's weird my tests are so faint with no bleeding. 

I've read about the "hook effect". Not sure how I feel about it, but it says your hormone levels get so high that a pregnancy test can no longer register it. I don't know if I really think this is what is going on. Just very confused. My gut tells me something has to be wrong. Just crazy I went from a dark positive to a faint positive in 24 hours at this point in my pregnancy.
    pregnancy
  • Loading the player...
  • I have had another pregnancy like this in the past, except I was a lot earlier. Test became fainter and fainter until I lost it at 4w4d. I counted that as a chemical. With this being at 6/7 weeks i'm hesitant to call it that :-/ I just don't know! 
    pregnancy

• people are always so quick to say that the strength of the line doesn't mean anything, but i totally disagree.  a strong line DOES mean more hcg in your system, so the fact that you're peeing lighter positives is of concern to me.  all you can do is wait for monday...  i'm so sorry.  i realize the next 36 hours will creep by as if time was moving backwards, but there's really nothing you can do from an at-home standpoint.

keep us posted??  i have encountered a similar situation and i remember how awful it made me feel, so i really do sympathize with you.  i'm sorry this stress is your reality right now :(
    NO JUST NO!!!!!!       You need to learn how pregnancy test work. 
    A urine pregnancy at home pregnancy test, test qualitative. This means it just picks up if there is HCG in your urine.  The darkness of the line has to deal with how much die is in the test.   An at home test DOES NOT measure quantitative mean it DOES NOT test how much is in your system.   Really think about it its a stick where your urine passes through on a piece of cotton(or what the test uses) it does not have a computer in it that can analyze how much HCG is it in.    

With all that said PP   STOP PEEING ON THINGS!   Wait for your appointment, and try to relax you should be fine.   I could go pee on a stick right now and show you just how light it can be.
    we'll just have to agree to disagree then.  HPTs work via an hcg-specific antibody that has a two-step release and uptake process by which dye is released in proportionate amounts to the levels of activated (meaning...  hcg bound to it) antibodies that travel up the stick.  the more hcg, the more dye.  true, a pee stick isn't quantitative in the sense that it doesn't give you a "number"...  but i don't think anybody here is contesting that point.

in healthy, progressing pregnancies, the line DOES get darker as you pee on it day after day.  i knew somebody would chime in and speak to the contrary, but i stand behind the science of my answer, and OP - i do hope you have a relaxing weekend and you get the results you're hoping to get on monday.
  • Thank you very much everybody. It's so nice to get responses. This has all been a very confusing time for me. I've taken so many tests in my time of TTC and in my experience have always found the lines to get darker the more pregnant I am, however, I know those tests are not technically meant to tell you HOW pregnant you are. Just that you're pregnant. I know I should have stop testing ages ago. I really wish I did because had I done that I would not suspect a problem right now. 

The hook effect has most definitely crossed my mine. The only thing i'm really holding on to right now! 
    pregnancy
  • i have seen a clear correlation between my hcg levels and my line darkness over the course of several successful and unsuccessful pregnancies, and most women who test for several days in a row will also report a darkening progression.  are there many variables and factors to consider (brand of test, concentration of pee, point in pregnancy, etc etc)?  totally.  can you rely on a hpt to definitely tell you anything other than whether or not you are pregnant?  nope.  but the experience of most women  is as i described with darker lines indicating a progressing pregnancy with stronger hcg concentration...  and it makes sense when you consider how the tests work.  i really do think we all know the same correct things about the tests, and are choosing to explain the information from two different angles.  no harm in that!

OP, please keep us posted!
  • I just wanted to update everybody. I woke up this morning to some heavy bleeding so i'm very sure this pregnancy is over. My theory? I was taking progesterone suppositories and maybe that my pregnancy hang on longer than it was meant to. I just don't know. Either way, i'm sort of glad I knew it was coming (or a possibility of it). It was much better having a feeling than to wake up with bleeding. 
    pregnancy
  • so sorry to hear this, love :(
  • I am so very sorry!  I went through a miscarriage in early May so if you need to talk feel free to message me!!  Sending thoughts your way...
  • Sorry to hear this. My husband and I have done two fertility cycles and were told it was a super slim chance we could get pregnant without doing IVF. On my second cycle I miscarried as well around 4/5 weeks....I too was using progesterone supplements as well. Since then we stopped thinking about everything and just said let's just enjoy life. Didn't keep track of anything! we went on vacation and when we came back I realized my period was due and nothing! so two days after we got back i took a PT. Well I am now 7wks pregnant and was shocked when I found out. It's still early for me, but I am doing everything I can to just relax. I wish you all the best and don't give up!! Sending positive thoughts your way.
  • Oh no! Thoughts, prayers, and hugs. I'm so sorry!
  • Thank you for your kids words! Fortunately, I have a healthy 1 year old daughter. I know we can make it through a pregnancy despite my miscarriages. Just hoping our next pregnancy will be successful. I ovulated VERY late this pregnancy (CD 23) and I think my egg might not have been the best quality also. Just so many factors play into this. But i've accepted it and am hoping to be back here eventually with a healthy pregnancy! 
    pregnancy
  • I agree - I got pregnant in April on CD26.  I miscarried but the doctor didn't once think that the late CD was the issue.  I'm now pregnant again, and again on CD26.  I'm hoping this one takes!

I'm very sorry for your loss but will send positive thoughts for a healthy pregnancy next time!!

I completely agree with this. I would be concerned if I had a light line at 6-7 weeks along, your line should be incredibly dark. If you want you can call your doc and see if they will run your beta HCG, that will tell you something at least. Big hugs...I've played the line darkness game many times and it sucks when you can see something bad coming :(

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"