Colorado Babies
Options

Need a new OB/Midwife

I am 32 weeks and going to need a new doctor. I am currently going to University and I am having lots of problems with their treatment. I am seeing the Midwives because I really want more of a holistic approach and I am determined to have a natural childbirth (I am not naive though I understand that complications can arise).

Currently the midwives are being VERY push about a THIRD GD test. Each time I seem to fail the one hour by 1 point, but when I took the three hour I became violently ill leading to uncontrollable vomiting and dehydration. This happened both times. Now they want me to do it again. I am refusing. I told them to just treat me as I have GD, I will do blood sugar monitoring and watch my diet but after the last two times I feel the GD test is unsafe for myself and my son. They keep telling my that the test "Is not optional". I have been threatened with them taking my water birth away because I am "high risk" and going as far as to tell me stories about babies born with nerve damage, shrunken heads, shoulder dysplasia, still births and infant deaths. I am pissed.

I need a new practitioner. I am not going to be treated like this when the treatment for GD is exactly what I am proposing anyways. 

Any advice on a holistic Dr that will let me do things naturally and keep water birth? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need a new OB/Midwife

• Options
    Where are you located and where are you willing to travel?  I've heard great things about Mountain Midwifery Center.  I've been working with South Denver Midwives.  Maybe call and see how they would handle your situation? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image  image
    BFP 5/08/13 -- EDD 1/15/14 -- slow hb@7wks d&c 6/07/13
    BFP 8/12/13 -- EDD 4/20/14 -- no fetal pole @7wksnatural m/c 9/16/13, cytotec 10/17 & 10/22
    BFP 11/26/13 -- EDD 8/07/14 -- Born 7/24/14!
  • Options
    Wow.  I can't believe they told you the GD test was not optional.  It is totally optional!  It sounds like you are in the Denver area.  Here are the midwife groups I have heard good things about:
    • Mountain Midwifery (though I heard their facility could be a bit nicer)
    • The Midwives at Swedish (my doula has used them and really likes them)
    • Boulder Nurse Midwives (they are great if you don't mind the drive.  This is the group I used)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Check into the midwives at Denver Health. They allow water births and its the hospital that a lot of home birth midwives transfer to as they feel comfortable working with the hospital midwives.
  • Options
    I *just* heard about the midwives at Denver Health and how great they are (from VBAC gals and a homebirth midwife).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I can't encourage you enough to STAY AWAY from South Denver midwives. They are going through a lot of transition there and I ended up with the OB on call since there wasn't a midwife available when I was in labor and delivering. If you are very serious about trying all of the natural birth techniques I have heard nothing but amazing things about Mountain Midwifery. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"