June 2012 Moms
Options

Using a spoon

I haven't posted here in a while, but I was curious how your LO's are doing with feeding themselves with a spoon. We have just been doing all finger foods for several months since DD stopped wanting purées so she hadn't really seen a spoon in a while. I have tried reintroducing it a couple of times with various things. I will feed her a few bites, then load some spoons for her. When I load the spoon for her and either set it on her tray or try to hand it to her, she will usually try to get me to feed it to her, or take it and throw it on the floor, or pick what is on the spoon off with her fingers. I will also try just leaving the spoon in her bowl. Sometimes she will throw it on the floor but occasionally she will put it in her mouth and get some food from it.

How is it going for your LOs? Any tips?

Re: Using a spoon

• Options
    No spoon use here. He's still just using his hands.
  • Options
    I honestly haven't had the patience lately to try relinquishing the spoon yet. I'll be following this thread so I can get some ideas!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD eats with her hands. She is trying to take the spoon from me lately. She can bring it to her mouth but cannot scoop the food herself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    khill86khill86 member
    edited August 2013
    I the last couple of weeks I've been putting the spoon and fork on his tray for him to try as he likes. If I load up a spoon and put it on the tray, he'll pick it up, eat what's on it, and then hand it back to be reloaded. He eats with his hands 99 percent of the time.

Sometimes I do hand over hand and show him how to pick something up with the fork or scoop with the spoon, but that's it. He gets utensils at every meal and he'll figure it out when he's ready. We did BLW, so I'm kind of following the same idea.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    acbfreire said:

DD eats with her hands. She is trying to take the spoon from me lately. She can bring it to her mouth but cannot scoop the food herself.

Same for my DS.

He does the same thing with a fork.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    AJ doesn't use one. I don't think she's ready. The little girl I sit for, whose a May baby, is starting to use a spoon and is pretty good with it. Her parents just started givin it to her when she wouldn't take it from them, otherwise they didn't use any special tricks that I'm aware of.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    He started reaching for mine all the time so I just gave him his own. I figured I'd take it away if it became a distraction or too frustrating.  It's messy but DS can eat a cup or yogurt by himself with a spoon and seems to enjoy it.  If frustrated he switches to his hands.  He'll occasionally take a fork and stab some food with it but that usually only last 2-3 bites.  Short stubby utensils make it much easier. I'd just put them on the tray and see what happens.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks all! This is helpful and reassuring!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"