November 2013 Moms
Options

Boys + Circumsicion

justMaikejustMaike member
edited July 2013 in November 2013 Moms
To all of you having a Boy or one one the way, how will/did you decide? My husband and I are very torn about this subject..

Boys + Circumsicion 171 votes

Yes
71% 123 votes
No
22% 38 votes
Undecided
5% 10 votes

Re: Boys + Circumsicion

• Options
    We're debating this issue in our house too... I want to talk with our midwife more about it at the next visit before making a decision.
  • Options
    We decided because in the long run its cleaner or them and easier when potty training. Or so I've been told (pregnant with my first son). And my ob/gyn said that its less traumatic for them when they are first born because all of the nerve endings aren't developed there yet.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Uh oh here we go this is going to stir up some serious opinions, but here is mine... We just saw it as unnecessary. I don't buy that they won't feel it or remember it. The look on my DS's face when he got shots was heartbreaking enough I can't even imagine chopping off a chunk of his member. It was simply an unnecessary procedure and out of the question for us. My sis also had a son and she said she felt so bad with seeing the blood and healing process for her son. I just couldn't do that to our son.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We talked about it before we found out LO is a girl, but we were pro-circumcision.
  • Options
    With DS1 I was not exactly for it in the beginning. Then DH and I were talking with his aunt, who is a child psychologist, and she said something to really think about is how you would explain to a little boy why he looks very different then his dad. So, I decided to let DH make the choice. He decided to do it, because of his aunts advice and the pros of doing it were more important to his. DS1 was already happy as can be when they brought him back to us and the healing process wasn't bad at all. DS2 will also be circumcised.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I gather there can be a medical reason to have one, but generally it is now a religious or social choice.  I don't have a particular religion and the locker rooms in our area now have more  uncircumcised boys than not.  My OB and M/W and Pedi all recommend uncircumcised unless medically necessary.  Plus I buy the idea that it makes for better satisfaction during relations for both persons.  I read that one day (as the rate of circumcision continues to decrease) men will look back and consider circumcision similar to the genital "mutilation" of girls elsewhere in the world.  That last statement is far out, but I wonder...  I'm a little nervous about trying something "new" but game...

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

• Options
    Nope, not doing it. I don't see any significant benefit in having it done, and so we won't be doing it. 
  • Options
    These are great inputs from everyone! Thank you ladies, I appreciate it.
    We want to be as informed as possible before making the decision.
    I've also had a conversation with my mother. She decided against it with my brother, but later on he had to get circumcised (age 6) because he had problems and she was devastated when seeing him in so much pain, crying and telling her how much it was hurting. This makes it even harder :-<
    But, I will have a talk with my OB and see what he has to say.

Thank you guys again

• Options
    We are getting one and it is the driving factor on where I deliver. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We're getting it done. I had it done on DS1 and plan for this little guy.
  • Options
    We had both our boys circumcised and I wish I had not. Both times the circumcision was done badly, by different doctors, and my oldest had to have surgery at the age of 2 to have it fixed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    With ds we decided to circumcize and will again with this one. It didn't seem to bother him much he just slept after. Also I dated a guy that wasn't circumcised and he was very sensitive about it because he constantly got teased about by guys and girls. I don't want my son coming home from school crying because of this. There will be plenty of other things kids will find to tease him about.
  • Options
    MsCrispyMsCrispy member
    edited August 2013

Another no here. We find it unneccessary. I'm not worried about hygiene, my DH is uncircumcised and it isn't a big deal.

I find the locker room or matching dad arguments odd. They really don't look that different and I don't think that boys and men sit there and stare at each other long enough to make this a big deal. My DH never had any issues with it growing up and it is even more common to not circumcise now.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    We are having a boy and will circumcise. We had a long talk with our pediatrician about it. She said of course it is a personal decision, but there IS a smaller chance of infection and STDs with it done (of course some of it has to do with hygeine, but not all people keep on top of it as well as they should). She said they numb them up, then give them acetaminophen for a week afterward, and she said the kids have seemed just fine to her. I also heard from a urologist that told me once that any man she ever saw in her office with a UTI was uncircumcised. And that argument about babies remembering is lame - how many kids are affected to this day by all the shots they receive when they are little? If people are worried they will be negatively affected by circumcision, then they would also be negatively affected by getting 20 shots, and I haven't heard anyone complain about that one yet!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

In my Think Tank, KM, Porteen + LowePro bags: Canon 5D Mark III / 5D Mark II
    16-35mm 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.2L, 100mm 2.8L IS, 70-200mm 2.8L IS
    Lensbaby Composer + 0.42x SuperWide, Holga Lens, Speedlite 580EXIIs + PWs,
    Mac LR4 + CS6 + Nik Editing Suite
  • Options
    We are having a boy and will circumcise. It is a personal decision but I don't see the harm in it and have heard many more horror stories about men having to get this procedure done as teenagers or adults than I have heard about complications when it is done as an infant. 
  • Options
    @JustMaike Yes! My brother was not, sorry if its TMI, and as an adult male he went through with it. He said he really felt bad about himself and less like a man until he did. Then was laid up on bed rest to recover for a good chunk of time after. To DH there is no discussion.
    imageimageimageimage

• Options
    My brother isn't. One of my best friends from high school isn't. They both do just fine.
    But, anecdotal "I saw this bad experience" and "I didn't do it, my baby is fine" remarks are really not that helpful. It comes down to this: research shows that it has some minor medical benefits. Namely, a reduced risk of UTI and STDs. It also has some minor chances of medical problems and drawbacks. Namely, risk of infection and reduction in sensation. https://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/prenatal/decisions-to-make/pages/Circumcision.aspx
    Basically, AAP and ACOG both say "It's up to the parents."  We aren't doing it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
    N '13 November Siggy Challenge- Baby Pictures

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    DH is not circumcised, however he sometimes wishes his parents had had it done for him when he was a baby. For him its really a matter of sensitivity and tenderness as to why he would prefer it although he'd never consider going through with the procedure as an adult. We are on the fence still about whether or not to have it done. I lean more toward not having LO circumcised and DH leans more toward having it done which is interesting considering DH is not.
  • Options
    DH is circumcised and I allowed him to make the decision for DS and this new baby.  Both of whom are / will be circumcised.
  • Options

DH is circumcised and I allowed him to make the decision for DS and this new baby.  Both of whom are / will be circumcised.

Before we found out its a girl mt DH and I talked about it. I let him decide also and he wanted to have it done.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I perform circumcisions as part of my job (as a hospital-based pediatrician).  We did not circumcise my son.  I didn't feel strongly on the matter, and left it up to my husband, who was very anti-circumcision, but I am glad we didn't do it.

Most babies cry some during the procedure, although some don't let out a peep.  There was a study that showed that boys who were circumcised cried longer when they got their two month shots, suggesting that they remember pain, but that may have been back in the days before doctors used numbing medicine (it definitely seems to me like it would be a cruel procedure without any lidocaine!).  

Circumcision definitely reduces the likelihood of a urinary tract infection in the first year of life, although these are fairly uncommon anyway, and don't cause long-term damage if treated properly.  It also decreases the risk of transmission of HIV and other STD's (at least in heterosexual men in Africa).  Lastly, it decreases the risk of penile cancer, but this is VERY rare, and if boys get the HPV vaccine when they are older then their risk level would be even lower.  

My husband felt that circumcision reduced sensation for the male, which was his primary objection.  The jury is still out on whether and to what extent this is true (IMO, circumcised males still seem to have plenty of sensation in that area!).  The procedure is more common in the midwest, and somewhat less so on the coasts.

Basically, I think either option is completely reasonable.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Religious reasons .... No argument at all
  • Options
    We are not. And for those worrying about their sons getting teased if they don't.... it's becoming increasing more common to not curcumsize. Also- my husband is not and he has never been made fun of. That's all I'm gonna say about that. It's your baby- research & draw your own conclusion. Don't just do what someone else tells you to do.
  • Options
    Pardon all my grammar errors there- I'm mobile!
  • Options
    I left this decision up to DH. We feel that their penis' should look similar. So (TMI) we are pro circumcision. I also feel that it is a little easier for them to take care if less infections and what not. But it's always a personal choice and to each their own.
  • Options
    I think another interesting factor that many people may not think of is when your son becomes elderly. Uncircumcised elderly men in nursing homes who can no longer properly clean themselves have so many problems with infections down there. Ask any CNA or Nurse that works in a nursing home. Very common problem.
  • Options
    My parents are from a country where female circumcision was very common until this generation. Many of the arguments for male circumcision (it can prevent infection, they will feel weird if they don't fit in, it's easier for the parents) are the same that were/are made for female circumcision. 

Culturally we do also circumcise boys. When DH and I discussed it we decided that if we circumcise him he can't undo it, but if we don't circumcise he can always get it done later. So it's a no for us.

One caution for those who are not circumcising - apparently some health professionals still don't know how to treat an uncircumcised boy so they sometimes pull back the foreskin. Never, ever do this or let anyone do it. More details here if anyone's interested: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201110/what-is-the-greatest-danger-uncircumcised-boy 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"