2nd Trimester
Options

Rough U/S

With my first daughter my pregnancy was riddled with problems. I had a placenta previa and bleed more often than not. I went into preterm labor at 32 weeks. When I finally delivered at 40 weeks she was breech and we had a c section. So I was really looking forward to a worry free easy going pregnancy this time. Aside from the morning sickness it had been going great. So I had an ultrasound yesterday and they found a hard marker for down syndrome. I am only 16 weeks and will have another u/s at 20 weeks. My husband and I talked about the possibility of having a child with a disability before we decided to get pregnant. We both agreed and still agree that it doesn't matter to us. We will receive the child we were meant to receive. I just hate that I can't know for sure. We aren't going to do the testing or amnio because they won't tell us without a doubt. I honestly don't know why I want to know for sure since it changes nothing. I guess I am just processing still.

Re: Rough U/S

• Options
    I wanted to add that our little GIRL was perfectly healthy and growing just fine. She moved like crazy the whole time.
  • Options
    I am sorry your ultrasound did not turn out ideally, but I think you have a great attitude so far. No matter how your baby girl turns out, it seems like she will be loved and cared for. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts! If it does turn out that your daughter has a condition such as Down's, there are a lot of other moms on TB that could be a good resource, and a lot of great support groups for parents of children with certain conditions that may be useful while adjusting.
    Baby Boy #2
    Due Date 11/10/16
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're having to have through this, especially the wondering and worrying. I though that an amino could tell you for sure, but obviously I'm not certain. For me I would consider the additional testing so I could prepare before birth in case I needed to.

I just read a book called expecting Adam, very interesting and a good read for someone in your situation I think, as I'm sure you'll love LO no matter what.

I once heard having a child with downs is like Taking a plan and landing in Amsterdam when you expected to land in Rome. Both are great places, just different experiences. I hope that your LO keeps growing and you both stay healthy.

• Options
    we actually just went through the same thing. we decided it wouldnt matter either way but i needed to know to prepare myself of the outcome.  we had a blood test done (nipd) test and it looks for chromosomal problems.  I was told it is 99% accurate.  We found out Monday that we have a perfect baby girl and its been a big weigh lifted off my shoulders to know the result, no matter what the outcome might have been.   

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I read that the amnio is 99% but know someone that had been told their daughter would have downs syndrome and she didn't have it. In fact, she had no complications or any condition. I mulled it over with our doctor and he said that really none of it is 100%. That it could give us an idea but could also be way off or could give false results all together. I just purchased some books and am going to learn as much as I can about it and the other possibilities prior to birth and hope whatever the outcome that she is happy and healthy.

• Options
    well i guess you right and really dont know till the baby is here but i just want to wish you the best with the rest of your pregnancy! :) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"