Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

XP: What to give besides WCM?

Background--DS was diagnosed MSPI around 3 months old. Did a dairy challenge last month and he failed. Has been getting soy the last few weeks and is doing ok. I'd rather not do soy milk--biggest reason being DS hates it and that's saying a lot coming from a kid who's been on elemental formula!

So my question...

If your LO can't have WCM what do you give them? Pedi advised against rice milk because it didn't have as much fat I believe....said almond milk was a good alternative but DS hasn't had any tree nuts and I'm nervous to give him anything like that until we've been to the allergist (next month). So I'm just curious...what do you use? DS is 13 months and I feel a bit behind since he is still taking 3-4 bottles a day of neocate.

Thanks!
Mr. & Mrs. UMich! July 2006! :-)
DX: High FSH/DOR
It took 44 cycles, just over 3 years, 6 failed IUI's in MI, and 1 round of IVF at CCRM to get our BFP!

Beta #1 (9dp5dt) = 206, Beta #2 (11dp5dt) = 438
1st u/s @ 6w5d = 11/11/11 = ONE little bean! HB 120bpm!
?Our Baby Boy Born June 26th, 2012?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: What to give besides WCM?

• DD will not drink milk. We've tried WCM, 2%, almond milk & coconut milk. Sometimes she will drink a sip or two but that's it. She drinks water instead. I just make sure she eats other dairy (she loves yogurt and cheese) & she eats lots of avocado (for good fat).
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • DH and I have been learning a lot lately about the negative effects of animal proteins on your body, and now we're considering removing cow milk from our house.  I think we will probably switch to almond milk if we do it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you tried goat's milk?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DD drinks soy and loves it but she was also on soy formula so is used to the taste.

DD1 5.26.12 - Femara, Gonal F and IUI

DD2 10.18.14 - IVF

• LO has MSPI so we give almond milk.  She does OK with it but not great.
  • We used goat milk - DD loved it. 

Almond milk also doesn't have much fat - counter intuitive, I know, but read the back of the label. It has surprisingly little nutritional content, apart from the the vitamins added to fortify it. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My DD has multiple allergies, and can't have WCM, or any of the alternatives.  Her nutritionist says she'll need to be on formula until she's 2. I know that's not "normal", but my child's situation isn't "normal" so we have to adapt.

We have had some success with coconut milk products, especially yogurt. 
  • We use goat milk. Everything else (almond, soy, etc) is so processed.

• Now is as good a time as any to test the nuts, if your pedi/allergist agrees.  I am the dairy free one, but that means we don't have a lot of milk around anyway.  So we have almond milk and coconut milk.  I can have some goat dairy (it has a different primary sub-type of casein than cow milk, one which is more heavily present in human milk), so SOME people with casein issues can have it, but not all.  You can also do enriched juice for calcium or supplements, but you can also get it in lots of whole foods.  And protein and fat can be gotten from lots of whole foods as well.  (Basically, cow milk is over-rated. :) )
    IMG_8355
  • We do almond milk with a little coconut milk (the thick kind you use to make curries with) added for fat.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"