August 2012 Moms
Options

Which age?

I have been thinking about this a lot lately and I was curious if I was alone in my thinking.  I love this age so much, I feel like I know why she is upset and how to comfort her, I love the intentional cuddles, I love the reactions she gets when she is excited, sad, or tired and I love that she sleeps through the night.  Really, I could go on and on.  

However, My good friend preferred the newborn stage because they are so innocent and cute and so dependent. 

What about you?  Did you enjoy the newborn age or do you prefer this age?
August 2013 Siggy Challenge! 

Re: Which age?

• Options
    So far, this age. Does it make me a horrible mother to admit that I think I will enjoy ages 4 and above the most? My husband and I were always joking that we would just adopt a 4 year old before we had kids so we could skip the early years.
  • Options
    I prefer the older more independent age like how DD is now. But of your two choices I'd take a toddler over a newborn any day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    OMG, hands down, THIS stage.  The NB phase was traumatizing for me to put it lightly.  I love that DD just crawls over to me just to sit on my lap or just to touch me.  I love that I can make her laugh hysterically.  I love that she can play with toys and entertain herself with the silliest things (plastic bowls and lids).  I just love this age so much.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imagethe-dude-with-a-white-russian
  • Options
    This is a toughie for me. I LOVED having a newborn. I loved him being a snuggly but I LOVE this age too. I like that he can play with me and isn't just a sack o' potatoes. If I had to pick I would probably go with this age but I can't wait to have a newborn again.
  • Options
    I think newborn for me was easier than the toddler stage is now.  He wasn't mobile and when you put him somewhere he stayed put. Granted I was extremely lucky to have an easy going newborn who was sleeping 6-8hrs straight about a week after he was born (I am doomed to have a holy terror the next time around...haha).

Now I can barely pee without worrying about what he is getting himself into or if he is scaling the dog while I'm not looking! I love the interaction of the toddler stage and how lovey dovey he is though so its sort of a toss up for me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Even though it was more work, i loved the newborn stage. She was so needy and vulnerable...in a good way.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Scarlet Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Exactly what mrs. rohde said!
  • Options
    So far my favorite age is 2. They are more independent, can tell you what they want/need, and are just so funny. 

Between newborns ans toddlers I would say toddlers. I love watching them learn to crawl/walk/ect. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    This is my absolute favorite of all, for so so many reasons. I miss him being so very little but do not miss the sleepless nights or blistered nips.
    SMOOCHES FOR ALL!!!

• Options
    I love newborns! Even with twins it was great!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I can't choose. I like the cute little infant clothes, and the cute little tiny breakable babies. But, watching ds learn something, or watch his eyes light up when he plays with his older brother is also priceless.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ccamccam member
    This age for sure!! Even though I loved the cuddles, newborn stage was super hard!

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    Definitely now! I have been looking forward to this age since she was little.
  • Options
    OMG, hands down, THIS stage.  The NB phase was traumatizing for me to put it lightly.  I love that DD just crawls over to me just to sit on my lap or just to touch me.  I love that I can make her laugh hysterically.  I love that she can play with toys and entertain herself with the silliest things (plastic bowls and lids).  I just love this age so much.
    All this, except the traumatizing part. I will definitely have more kids, but am honestly not looking forward to all the work that comes with a newborn.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Hands down I love this stage. I *thought* I loved newborns but I just couldn't wait for DD to get a little older so I can interact with her. I did have a very easy newborn though but now I feel like we connect in a totally different way... like SHE actually connects with me. We KNOW each other now and I LOVEEEEE that feeling. 

• Options
    Saltylove said:

Definitely this age. I don't have any desire to repeat the newborn stage. DD is so fun right now! she is generally sleeping well, happy and playful.
    Maybe this is an FFFC, but a few friends have had babies recently and it reminds me how much I struggled early on. I must be immune to baby rabies!

You aren't alone. No rabies here. I held a 5 week old and a preemie in a week span and had no gushy feelings about having another baby.
    imagethe-dude-with-a-white-russian
  • Options

I think newborn for me was easier than the toddler stage is now.  He wasn't mobile and when you put him somewhere he stayed put. Granted I was extremely lucky to have an easy going newborn who was sleeping 6-8hrs straight about a week after he was born (I am doomed to have a holy terror the next time around...haha).

Now I can barely pee without worrying about what he is getting himself into or if he is scaling the dog while I'm not looking! I love the interaction of the toddler stage and how lovey dovey he is though so its sort of a toss up for me.

This exactly. Amir is so adorably cute now buy I know he'll only get busier till he learns some self control

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm with the russian lady. NB was not my cup of tea and I won't be doing it again. LOVE this age!
  • Options
    That is how I am.  I am perfectly content giving the newborn back to their parents.  I am hoping it comes back though because I do want one more!  Maybe I'll forget.  ;)
    August 2013 Siggy Challenge! 
  • Options
    Newborn stage sucks ass.  Its nice that they just sleep a lot but holy crap there was a lot of crying.  They're just so young and just cry for communication and crying is like nails on chalkboard for me.  I prefer this age cause they can be comforted and they know what they want (most of the time).  Its just a lot easier for me.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
  • Options
    Emphatically this age. I love the way she interacts with us, the way she communicates and discovers the world around her. Given the combination of PPD, reflux and an unresponsive pediatrician and prematurity, there was nothing I liked about the newborn stage.
    TTC since 3-08 IVF # 1 Dec 2011 BFP DD born at 31 weeks 6-24-12

FET #1 Dec 2013 BFN

FET # 2 Feb 2014 BFN

No more frosties

IVF #2. September 2014

PGD yielded 2 perfect 5d blasts

SET November 9, 2014
    Nov 23, 2014. Another BFN

Not sure where to go from here.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I love this age. I love how DS interacts with me and I can "see" him learning and making connections. The newborn stage, although not horrible, was hard for us. DS wouldn't nap anywhere but in our arms for his first two months. I left the house maybe under 10 times in those 2 months. We dealt with latch issues, MPI (no S), and reflux that wasn't alleviated till 5 months. I definitely love this age more. I can sit back and relax, even though he is a walking terror lol, and enjoy him.
  • Options
    My favorite age is about 18 months-2 years.  But newborn vs. now...definitely now.  I love the snuggles, but I like that she has some independence and is fun.  Newborn age was really rough in this house with her.  
  • Options
    I by far love the newborn stage.  They're so little and light and cuddlebugs.  AND NOT MOBILE!  lol!  But I do love the personality that comes with a 1 year old.  They have their adorable moments too! 

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

• Options
    Ajm11 said:
    I don't mean for this to sound heartless, but I am not a fan of the newborn stage....like, at all. DD cried constantly for the first 4ish months of her life. The only way I could calm her was by nursing, so I never really got a break. The newborn stage is not for me. If I could birth a 6 month old, I think I would. Hands down, this age is the best so far. DD still prefers me, which I secretly love, but she will allow other people to hold her and play with her. I like being able to put her down in her crib for a nap. I love being able to watch her play independently while I do the dishes or cook dinner. I love that she doesn't cry all day. Seriously, you guys. I was traumatized. And all of my friends think I did it wrong since their babies are so laid back comparatively.
    I've had both.  I know what you mean.  It's just the way their personalities are.  I was so spoiled with my son...perfect.  Hardly ever cried and STTN at 3 weeks.  So content to do whatever.  DD was up pretty much every hour or two and wouldn't let me put her down for more than 10 minutes at a time...if that.  Extremely cranky, and she had me in tears constantly.  I was wishing time away with her.  So yeah, I get you.  I want to give you hope that if you do have another, you might have a different experience.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"