TTC After a Loss

Trying after a CP

I am now 18 days past a chemical pregnancy (counting CD1 as the first day of bleeding). I have not ovulated yet. When I was at the doctor last week she did a sonogram and found that I have a lot of follicles, but they were all very immature. She recommended Clomid for 5 days and then Progesterone after ovulation. I was nervous to take the Clomid and am wondering if I should go to an RE as opposed to my ob/gyn. Also, I typically see that people are prescribed Clomid at a certain point in their cycle. I haven't had a period yet so I don't know how she knew it was just ok to take at that point?

I'm getting frustrated that I haven't ovulated, but I know that it can be delayed after a loss. 

Just interested in hearing others' experiences and recommendations for an RE vs. ob/gyn. 

Re: Trying after a CP

• lindsebertlindsebert member
    edited July 2013
    Um, don't take it. Do some research about clomid in the blog as PP suggested, as well as other places. Get, at minimum, a second opinion. Yes, you are right, clomid is taken on certain days of your cycle, and you should me monitored while taking it.
    Read the blog, lurk, and intro. GL to you.

ETA: You are only 18 days past a loss. It is not uncommon to have wonky cycles after a loss, as well as it's not uncommon to have an anovulatory cycle after a loss.
    TTC Our Rainbow Since May 2011

BFP#1 9/9/12 -- EDD 5/14/13 -- MMC 10/10/12 Miso 10/19/12

BFP #2 9/17/13 -- EDD 5/25/14-- CP confirmed 9/21/13
     BFP #3
    2/1/14 -- EDD 10/5/14 -- NMC 2/10/14

Dx: low progesterone & mild hypothyroidism

My Chart

4e41feae2813d8779361f4b4a13b4b 1

~*~All AL Welcome~*~

• EKGibsEKGibs member

As someone who took Clomid under the care of an OBGYN, I will strongly urge you to not do this. A RE will monitor you closely, doing ultrasounds & blood work. An OBGYN will usually only do blood work without close monitoring. I took clomid for no reason because I ovulate like clock work. OBGYN's sometimes think its a cure all drug. Now I'm terrified that I will develop ovarian cancer since I took this without needing it.

Do you chart? Do you know that you need clomid to O? Cycles can be very wonky after a loss so it may take a little while for your body to get back on track. I hope you research clomid a bit more before taking it without monitoring.

I'm very sorry for your loss & suggest putting info in your siggy. Also, post an intro so we can get to know you better. Welcome to the board!

TTC since 4/28/07
    Diagnosed w/ endometriosis 12/2010 Laproscopic surgery & 6 months of Lupron
    BFP 12/17/2011,EDD 8/23/12,ectopic discovered 12/29/11 at 6 weeks recieved methotrexate
    Dec '12 HSG & ultrasound showed abnormalities & more endo. Laproscopic surgery in January '13 showed significant damage & scar tissue from Endo. IVF is our best shot to concieve our rainbow.

June '13 Decided to go the adoption route!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

imageimageFollow Me on Pinterestimageimageimage

***PGAL/PAL WELCOME***

• Loading the player...
  • I am very sorry for your loss.  After my m/c last year, my OB had me call if my period didn't start after 35 days.  She had me take Provera at that point to jump start my cycle.  As others said, your cycle can be weird for a few months after a m/c or cp.  I wouldn't recommend Clomid unmonitored (I did it for months without realizing just how awful the side effects are...).  My OB also wanted me to have 2 full cycles before we started TTC again (which took about 3 months, since everything was so wonky and I have slightly longer, irregular cycles anyway).  It's perfectly normal to have a long cycle or two after a m/c or cp - all the hormones in your body throw everything out of whack.

TTC since July 2011

Me(33): normal HSG; diagnosed with mild PCOS

DH(35): normal SA

*6 cycles no meds, July-Dec. 2011, all BFN

*Clomid for 3 cycles, Jan-March 2011: BFP March 2011

*MC at 6 weeks

*2 cycles off

*Started TTC again July 2012 with Clomid, 6 cycles from July-Dec. 2012, all BFN

*1 cycle no meds: BFN

*1 cycle Femara: BFN

*1st RE visit March 2013 - first IUI in April 2013 with Femara, Menopur, and Novarel (BFN); second IUI in May 2013, same protocol (BFN); two cycle break;  third IUI in August 2013, same protocol (BFN)

*1st IVF cycle, October 2013 (Synarel, Menopur (75 iu), and Gonal-F (150 iu)) -- BFP!!  Saw two babies at our 5wk5d u/s on Oct. 28th!  EDD=June 25, 2014

• I think since you have doubts about your doctor that means you should see a new one or talk to an RE.

"It's, not, where you are, it's where you're going,
    And it's, not, about the things you've done, it's what you're doing, now"

TTC Journey Began 8/12
    BFP #1 11/9/12, MMC/D&C 12/21/12 @ 9w2d, EDD 7/24/13
    SAs: 2%-3% Morph - RE Official Diagnosis
    Unexplained
     BFN = IUI #1 (Clomid) | IUI #2 (Letrozole) 
    BFP #2 4/19/14 = IUI #3 (Letrozole)
    Expecting Our Elf 12/27/14
    ~All Welcome~

• I am sorry for your loss.  I did not have a chemical pregnancy, but after my miscarriage I did not ovulate between the miscarriage bleeding and my first AF.  I am now in my first cycle and I am fairly sure I just ovulated (I need one more day of high temps to confirm).  Unless you have a history of difficulty ovulating, I would just wait it out for a bit and not see any doctors.  18 days is not very many, though I know when you are waiting to TTC it feels like an eternity.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Junebug060609Junebug060609 member
    edited July 2013

Um, don't take it. Do some research about clomid in the blog as PP suggested, as well as other places. Get, at minimum, a second opinion. Yes, you are right, clomid is taken on certain days of your cycle, and you should me monitored while taking it.
    Read the blog, lurk, and intro. GL to you.

ETA: You are only 18 days past a loss. It is not uncommon to have wonky cycles after a loss, as well as it's not uncommon to have an anovulatory cycle after a loss.

This. There is stuff about Clomid, and why you should be monitored on it on the blog. Why is your doctor pushing medication this soon vs giving your body (and your mind) time to process your loss?

Also, it is totally normal to have not ovulated 18 days after a loss...or to have an annovulatory cycle right after a loss (I did!). It can take a while for your body to sort itself out after a loss, and you may find your body will have a new normal.

Eta: I forgot to say I was sorry for your loss.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• After a loss cycles can be wonky. Before my first loss I would ovulate on day 12-13. After my loss my I would ovulate from days 17-20. Now after my second loss its between day 13-16. 

Is there a reason why you are taking Clomid? As PP have said you should be closely monitored while on it, and you shouldn't take it unless there is a medical reason to. 
    BFP #1 7/23/12: EDD 4/1/13.  MMC discovered on 9/4/12 @ 10w1d
    BFP# 2 3/9/13:  EDD 11/12/13 m/c 3/15/13 @ 5w3d
    RPL testing shows one copy of MTHFR gene mutation. 
     BFP#3 12/24/13: EDD 9/5/14 Beta #1 13 DPO 168! Beta #2 16 DPO 895!
     First US 1/9/14 @ 5w6d Strong HB!
    2nd US 1/23/14 @ 7w6d baby is still doing great! 3rd US 1/31/14  9w0d: Beautiful wiggly baby! Keep growing baby!
    3/17/14 US @ 15w3d:Its a BOY!

My rainbow baby Isaac has arrived! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Do you have a hx of trouble TTC or ovulating? If not, don't take clomid! You're only 18 days out from your loss. It could take a few cycles to get back to "semi" normal and some ladies get a whole new normal.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image image

My Blog

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP# 1 7/7/12 Beautiful DD born still at 36 weeks 5 days on 3/2/13
    Diagnosed with PCOS in 2005. Started Metformin July 2013

BFP # 2 8/7/14 EDD 4/22/15
    Please be our rainbow!!

**All AL Welcome**

• Thanks for the helpful feedback everyone!
    I have a history of not ovulating for long periods of time (years) and after the sonogram my doctor recommended Clomid based on how my lining and follicles looked. 
    I have not taken it and probably won't until I meet with an RE. I agree with others about being monitored. From what I have read, Clomid is commonly given out by OB-GYNs without much follow up. I'd prefer to wait and make sure that is what I need and if it is what I need then I get the monitoring with it.
  • Qfrump said:
    Thanks for the helpful feedback everyone!
    I have a history of not ovulating for long periods of time (years) and after the sonogram my doctor recommended Clomid based on how my lining and follicles looked. 
    I have not taken it and probably won't until I meet with an RE. I agree with others about being monitored. From what I have read, Clomid is commonly given out by OB-GYNs without much follow up. I'd prefer to wait and make sure that is what I need and if it is what I need then I get the monitoring with it.
    If you have PCOS, which it sounds like you might, the RE is probably a better place for you anyway.  
    Agreed. So glad you are looking in to this more.
    TTC Our Rainbow Since May 2011

BFP#1 9/9/12 -- EDD 5/14/13 -- MMC 10/10/12 Miso 10/19/12

BFP #2 9/17/13 -- EDD 5/25/14-- CP confirmed 9/21/13
     BFP #3
    2/1/14 -- EDD 10/5/14 -- NMC 2/10/14

Dx: low progesterone & mild hypothyroidism

My Chart

4e41feae2813d8779361f4b4a13b4b 1

~*~All AL Welcome~*~

• The doctor said it looks like PCOS except that the follicles aren't lined up like a string of pearls so maybe it would be PCO? I'm not quite sure. I asked a lot of questions, but never really felt like there was a clear answer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"