January 2014 Moms
Options

For those who had MaterniT21 or Harmony testing done

If you have gotten your results, did they always call you or did they just wait until you came in for your next appointment to discuss? If they called you, did they ask you if you wanted to know the baby's sex? Did anyone have them leave the results via voicemail or tell you the baby's sex without asking you first?

I'm expecting my results any day now (had them done a week ago), and I'm trying to figure out what to expect. My next appointment isn't until Aug. 12. Just curious if the results are in the normal ranges do they still call you?

When I asked about the follow-up process when I had the testing done, the techs seemed pretty clueless and didn't give me a straight answer. Appreciate the wisdom of ladies who have already completed the process.

Re: For those who had MaterniT21 or Harmony testing done

• Options
    katagskatags member
    I had called the day after my bloodwork was drawn to see what the next step would be. The nurse told me that standard procedure is to call if results show something wrong. Otherwise they wait until the next appointment to go over the normal results. They said I could call and get them over the phone at any time.

I called and asked about the results. Nurse said everything was normal. I asked then about whether the sex was determined. She said, "It's listed here, do you want to know?" I said yes and she told me. She wouldn't have mentioned it if I hadn't asked specifically. My appt was last week and my OB asked if I knew what I was having yet.
    photo e2fe0839-b11a-41d8-8a07-1ef481a55d67_zpsda9c0f6f.jpg photo 777c55cb-e377-4070-950b-fdeda172a809_zpscd40251a.jpg IMG_15901 photo IMG_15901.jpg
  • Options
    I went to a Genetics counseling office outside my OB.

The Genetics Counselor called & gave me the news everything was negative. She asked if I wanted to know the sex, I told her I felt guilty knowing without DH knowing so she said she'd drop them in the mail so we could open them together. We received the results a few days later.

They also faxed the results to my OB to be a part of my chart.

This was the Mat21 test.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    skreedrakeskreedrake member
    edited July 2013
    I just got my results about an hour ago. The genetic councilor actually called me to tell me mine. When we were filling out the paperwork for the test, she asked me if I wanted them to look at the sex chromosomes to determine sex, and I said yes. At the end of the call today, after she told me everything came back normal, I asked what the sex chromosomes said. She wouldn't have told me if I hadn't asked. But I suspect this varies greatly from office to office.

ETA: Oh, and this was the Harmony test.
     image image
    10/10/2010
    TTC Since May 2011
    DX: Subclinical Hypothyroidism
    BFP #1: 11/21/2011. EDD: 8/4/2012. Missed M/C & D&C at 11w6d: 1/20/2012.
    BFP #2: 5/24/2012. EDD: 2/2/2013. Natural M/C at 6w0d: 6/9/2012.
    BFP #3: 12/6/2012. EDD: 8/19/2013. Missed M/C at 9w0d: 1/14/2013.
    BFP #4: 4/20/2013. EDD: 1/1/2014. Born at 36w3d: 12/7/2013
    BFP #5: 3/25/2015: EDD: 12/8/2015.
    Lilypie - (IDGc)
  • Options
    I had the Mat21 test. The genetic counselor called me 13 days later with the results. After she gave me the trisomy results she asked I wanted to know the sex...I said yes.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I get results on Friday or Monday and they said they would call with results and I told them not to tell me the sex. 

• Options
    I had the harmony test done. I filled out paper work before the test saying I'd like the results mailed to me. I had to initial that I wanted to know the gender. We had an appointment last week and they already had the results so the doctor told us we were low risk and it is a girl. I got the results in the mail the next day.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial ticker
    Due with baby boy # 2 in May 2016
    DD #1 born January 2014

• Options
    I had Harmony. Our midwife told me it would take 2 weeks all things considered. It was about that and I didn't know anything when I went to our next appt. I was readi g all kinds if things into it- they're waiting until I'm in the office to drop the bomb, etc. turns out they hadn't gotten anything back yet, but the midwife said she'd look into it. That afternoon she called to say all was ok. So it doesn't hurt to ask them to look into it.

We were told Harmony doesn't report gender ( they can tell but they don't report it) so we're waiting for our 18 week ultrasound.

Waiting is so hard. Try not to make yoyrsrlf Crazy. Good luck. :)
  • Options
    Not to hijack this thread - but I guess I'm going to a little - why does one have these tests done?  (Sorry if that's a stupid question...)

• Options
    PBP2002 said:

Not to hijack this thread - but I guess I'm going to a little - why does one have these tests done?  (Sorry if that's a stupid question...)

Both tests are genetic tests to determine if the baby has any trisomies. They are similar in analyzing to the NT scans, quad screen, CVS, etc but they use the mothers blood for the findings through DNA data. Both the Harmony and Mat21 are more accurate than the previous listed tests because they analyze DNA.

I believe you can look up the test names or cell-free testing to find more info.
    _____________________________________________________________________________

SAHM to 4 kiddos... K (5/05), N (4/09), C (11/10) and Baby A 1/13/14

• Options

I guess I mean - are there certain circumstances where a doctor orders this vs. the other "tests"/scans?  Or is it more just the preference of the doctor?  This just wasn't even brought up as an option with my OB.

• Options
    I am 15w1d today and I had my Harmony test done last week at 14w2d. It was a little later than most because I was on vacation. I have to call my office to figure out what the next step is. Thank you for the helpful responses!
    _____________________________________________________________________________

SAHM to 4 kiddos... K (5/05), N (4/09), C (11/10) and Baby A 1/13/14

• Options
    cja06cja06 member
    Thanks all! I'm advanced maternal age and family history puts me at higher risk, plus I've had multiple m/c so that is why I was given this level of screening. For my previous pregnancies I just had the NT scan done.

• Options
    katagskatags member
    PBP2002 said:

I guess I mean - are there certain circumstances where a doctor orders this vs. the other "tests"/scans?  Or is it more just the preference of the doctor?  This just wasn't even brought up as an option with my OB.

I think they're becoming fairly standard first screening for moms over 35 since it's a much less invasive test than other options.

I'm not AMA, but my baby didn't cooperate during the NT scan and my OB offered the Mat21 since they couldn't book me for another appointment within the needed timeframe.
    photo e2fe0839-b11a-41d8-8a07-1ef481a55d67_zpsda9c0f6f.jpg photo 777c55cb-e377-4070-950b-fdeda172a809_zpscd40251a.jpg IMG_15901 photo IMG_15901.jpg
  • Options
    The nurse called me on the phone. We didn't get her initial call, so she left a message for us to call back. We did and she gave us the results. At the end she asked if we wanted to know the gender, and we said yes, so she told us.

When we had the draw done in the first place my office told me they would call us and also asked if we wanted to know the gender so they would check that for us.

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• Options
    PBP2002 said:

Usually you have to be considered to be at a higher risk for the trisomies (like being 35 or older) for the doctor to offer it. I have even heard that the lab that runs Mat21 won't process your bloodwork if you don't meet certain criteria.

When I had my Mat21 test, my ob's nurse called the morning they got the results to tell me everything looked great. She didn't mention the sex at all so I just asked and she told me then. I have heard that some docs don't call unless the results indicate a possible issue.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had the Mat21 testing, as I am 35 Nd have an older brother with Down syndrome.
    The genetics counselor called me, who is outside my OB's office, and gave me the results and asked if we "were interested in knowing the sex" as her last question .. absolutely.. And found out by 11 1/2 weeks were team pink. For the 4th time.. Lol!
  • Options
    I had the test done because I am over 35, and it is way lower risk than Amnio or CVS and more accurate than the Quad/blood and NT Scan tests (though I got that done too, to check for non trisomy issues). 

I actually hounded the dr.'s office for the results. The doctor called me back and before he could read the results, I reminded him we didn't want to know the sex(es). He then ALMOST showed me the results at my next appointment, and I turned away and reminded him I didn't want to know the sex(es) so he covered that part up with an envelope so I could see the rest. He is going to screw up, I know it! 
    ********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    I just had the harmony test done. Results took 10 days (including weekends) and the genetic counselor called us the day they came in with a negative result and the baby's sex.
    They called me. I asked when I left the ifficel and they said they would call regardless of results. When they called she let me know I was low risk for any chromosomal defects and then asked if I would like to know the sex of the baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"