Stay at Home Moms
Options

Coconut oil?

This is kind of a random question, but there seem to be some very knowledgeable ladies on the board.  My DD has cradle cap and I was told that coconut oil is one treatment for it.  My cousin also told me she uses it as a body moisturizer. I bought some, but when I got home I saw it is refined coconut oil.  I am now reading about the benefits of unrefined vs. refined, but the information is mostly in regards to cooking with the oil.  Is there that big of a difference when using it for skin and hair care?  My DH hates the smell of coconuts, and I am not sure how strongly the unrefined form smells.  Not sure if it matters, but the brand I bought is organic.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Coconut oil?

• Options
    My pedi recommended we try this for my DD as well. He said unrefined organic only. Just a side note- our DD got a rash from it so try a small spot first. It does smell very coconutty and the oil will stain your clothes.
  • Options
    I use a high quality virgin coconut oil for cooking, but a cheaper refined oil for skin/hair. I know that the refining process can cause the oil to lose some of the nutrients, but the fatty acids(which are good for your skin) shouldn't be affected. We used the refined oil for cradle cap with DS2, and it seemed to work well. I currently use it for diaper rashes, and I'm always pleased with how quickly I can tell a difference. You do want to check that the oil hasn't been hydrogenated, which replaces the good fat with bad fat. That's rare with coconut oil, but it does happen.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"