September 2013 Moms
Options

Vent: Finding a new doctor at 35 weeks

SUCKS!!

Quick background - DH was laid off when I was 24 weeks. Decided it was best to move back with family since COL was so high. Moved around 28 weeks. Lived with family for a few weeks (and saw a great OB in the area at 30 and 32 weeks) before DH was offered a new job in Chicago. Moved again at 32/33 weeks.

When we first got to Chicago I made appts with 2 different offices. The first office was OK, the second office didn't feel right. Yesterday I went to see the 1st office again and the experience left me feeling really uncomfortable. I felt like he was in a huge rush and was rougher than he needed to be. After coming home and thinking about it, I got even more uncomfortable and decided this morning that I needed to try some different offices. I called and, of course, no one really wants to take on woman that is 35 weeks pregnant. :(

One office agreed to look at my medical records and then let me know if they can take me on. But if they decide they can't, I feel like I am stuck. I ether have to go with doctor 1, who made me uncomfortable yesterday, or go with doctor 2, who just didn't feel right to begin with.

I feel like these offices are looking down on me because I've moved. Dammit, I've had prenatal care since 6 weeks. I have had every test, followed all of my OB's instructions and precautions, taken my prenatals, I count my kicks and drink lots of water, hell, I haven't even had a damn Diet Coke since I got my BFP. I am not a delinquent mother!!

I also feel like I am totally losing control of my birth experience. Wish I lived closer to The Farm. I'm sure they wouldn't turn their nose up at me.

/endvent
Due September 4th! Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Vent: Finding a new doctor at 35 weeks

• Options
    Hang in there, labor buddy!!!  You can message me if you don't want to put the details on here, but why did you choose office # 1 over # 2?  Just a general gut feeling or did they do something that put you off completely?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Curls218 said:
    Hang in there, labor buddy!!!  You can message me if you don't want to put the details on here, but why did you choose office # 1 over # 2?  Just a general gut feeling or did they do something that put you off completely?
    Office #2 just had a weird feel to it. The people at the desk were rude and the MA that took me back was super confused by my chart and asked me about an infection (???) then she said, oh wait never mind. I had read through my entire chart multiple times and I had no idea what she thought she was reading. She also kept forgetting to do things/ask me things so she kept popping back into the room while I was waiting. Then I made the mistake of reading online reviews and they were not very good, especially a few labor stories from women who felt interventions/meds were really pushed on them. None of this is really a big deal, but it just gave me a weird feeling.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Being a larger city, I'm sure there are several birth centers or  midwives available. Does your insurance cover those? If so, it might be worth checking out if you're not comfortable where you are.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    Being a larger city, I'm sure there are several birth centers or  midwives available. Does your insurance cover those? If so, it might be worth checking out if you're not comfortable where you are.
    I say Chicago, but we're really in the burbs. Going into the city takes us at least an hour, but probably more if there is traffic. I looked into birth centers and couldn't find much.

The first office used to have a midwife (which is why I chose them to begin with) but I guess she just recently left. The second office has 2 midwives, but according the reviews they are not typical midwives.
  • Options
    Mags04Mags04 member
    If you are near Northwestern hospital I could tell you the practice who delivered my DS. I had good experiences for years with them. We now live in the burbs so I decided to find a doc closer to where I live and work. Otherwise I would have stayed with my Northwestern doc as I was really torn about getting a new doc for baby number 2. If traffic wasn't so sucky I wouldn't have switched.

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @diapers&wipes and @Mags04 - yeah, unfortunately we are in the burbs and I just don't think going downtown would be that good for me.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I just had to get it off my chest. Hopefully the new doctor will take me in, if not I think I'll go to doctor #2.
  • Options
    If this is your first and you are seriously considering a more natural birth experience, I eencourage you to at least meet with the inner city practices. We drove 2 1/2 hours for our birth center with DD and that was not bad at all!

Otherwise, when you are calling around for OB'S, ask to speak with the nurse and explain the situation to them instead of the office staff. I bet there will be someone willing to help. People move, that's life. I would leave out that you already found a practice that would accept you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mags04Mags04 member

@diapers&wipes and @Mags04 - yeah, unfortunately we are in the burbs and I just don't think going downtown would be that good for me.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I just had to get it off my chest. Hopefully the new doctor will take me in, if not I think I'll go to doctor #2.

I thought maybe you were living in the city. Since you're in the burbs I definitely wouldn't recommend going downtown. Not sure where in the burbs you are but I'm seeing the doctors with DuPage Medical Group who deliver at Edwards in Naperville. I've been seeing them since 24 weeks and overall have been happy. If your in the western burbs they might be worth while for you to check out. GL finding an OB they makes you comfortable.

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone. I'm trying to transfer at 32 weeks to someone who delivers at the hospital that our pediatric cardiologist will be and even though he made a reco that didn't work out. So i totally get how frustrating it is. I'll just hope your first choice takes you in - i feel like we have so much to worry about, finding an OB that we're comfortable with shouldn't be one of them. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"