February 2014 Moms
Options

no more kids after this...what are my options

so i have yet to talk to my dr, thats the next step. we dont want anymore kids after baby number three. i do want a life at some point and i am not getting any younger. plus i know our family is complete :) 

background: i have so many female issues its not funny. my period puts me in the ER at least three to four times a year. and endless years of not knowing whats wrong with me. id like to do something that stopped my periods all together...i want something permanent not an IUD as that was a bad experience too. 

anyhow, i was also thinking getting my tubes tied but i dont know how they would do that as I want a vaginal birth. it makes sense to me if for some reason i have to have a c section that they would do it then...so what do i do ladies? 
'
is it something im going to need to revisit after the baby is born and a bit older? 

thanks so much for your time :)

Re: no more kids after this...what are my options

• Options

We *think* we're done after this one, but who really knows until you have them and are living that life? In our situation, we are doing an IUD until we know for sure and then DH is getting a vasectomy.

Our office has really been pushing Essure.

https://www.essure.com/

Everyone I know has been super happy with it! May be worth looking into! Good luck!

Our angel is in heaven 12/12/08
    BFP 2/25/09
    HCG 3/6=518 3/8=1230
    1st Ultrasound 3/18 FHR=103
    2nd U/S 3/20 FHR=118!!
    3rd U/S 4/1 FHR=169 :)
    BIG U/S 5/22=IT'S A BOY! FHR-148
    DS Born October 30, 2009
    BFP 5/27/11 Stick baby, stick!
    HCG 5/31=140 P=9 HCG 6/2=292 P=11
    1ST Ultrasound 6/15 FHR=109!!
    U/S 8/18=IT'S A BOY! FHR-141 :)
    DS Born January 20, 2012
    BFP 5/27/13 EDD 2-5-14
    U/S 8/17 FRH-141 It's a boy!!

• Options
    the IUD gave me MS symptoms and it took months of test and processes and many doctors till i finally had enough and said just take it out of me...in three weeks i was totally fine. however, many women, including my sister, have great success with it..my body is really weird with foreign objects so i dont wan tto go the Essure route. i would hate to go through what i went with when i had my IUD...it was bloody hell!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would say if you're not 100% sure without a doubt that you're done, look at whatever form of bc that might make your periods tolerable.  Otherwise, if you're positive you're done, then I'd ask about a partial hysterectomy maybe a year or so AFTER the baby.  It gives you time to heal, time to sort things out in your head, & then time to get baby on a schedule with the rest of your family.  If you're going to do a procedure anyways, it's a possible option for you, but ask your doctor what they'd suggest, too.

I also have multiple issues with periods & cysts & endo, etc, & I'm soooo sick of the pain, but...although I'm almost positive that we're done, I'm not 100%, and so I turned down the tubal.  We'll stick with protection until we decide we're either done, or that I can't handle the pain & issues anymore, & then I'll probably have a partial done.  And if we win the lottery or our life really changes for the better, maybe we'll squeeze in one more before we're done.  It's all based on how sure you are; if you're not the kind to waffle, then plan something.  If you are someone who takes awhile to think things over/changes your mind often, then wait.
  • Options
    This is the last for me as well.  DH is ready to be done and this round of hyperemis sealed the deal for me.  I feel like our family is complete after this one.  I tried IUD after my first and my doc was not able to get it inserted (she said I was the first failure she'd ever had in 20+ years).  Basically, I have a wonky shaped vagina/uterus so it kept popping back out.  It was pretty uncomfortable for me to endure and really worried me that it could cause other problems so I decided not to try it again even though she offered to do it under guided ultrasound and light anesthesia.  Hormonal BCP have given me major issues since having my first even though I took them for years with no side effects at all.  Also, my breast cancer risk is high enough- I will not be taking any more hormonal drugs if I can avoid it.  Prior to this pregnancy, we were using condoms and charting.  Of course, we got a little lazy and here we are!  If we hadn't gotten pregnant with this one, DH was going to have a vasectomy but he was not at all excited about it.  Since I'm having a repeat c/s anyway, it just makes sense for me to have my tubes tied while they are in there. 

• Options
    I would talk to your Dr about what's the best method for permanent BC that will also help you with your period issues. We haven't decided that we're done or not, but I'm trying to convince H to get vasectomy when we are done. From what I've heard, it's easier procedure than female sterilization unless she's already doing a csection. However, if you're looking for help with your periods, obviously the vasectomy isn't going to help you lol. I'm not sure if tubal litigation will make a difference, so it's important to talk with Dr. 

FWIW - someone on the BMB for #1 got Essure and found out she was pg shortly after despite being told it "took" or whatever the terminology is. Basically, it's not 100%, it's like 99.9%. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

imageimage
  • Options
    my ex had a vasectomy, it was one day of xanax and laughter...nothing else. i would highly recommend it to anyone. this go around though, i really want something that could help with the rest of my female issues. at this point, id like to take the plunge into something...certainly will be the topic for my next check up!
  • Options
    With your period issues, I'd talk to the doctor who knows you and your problems well. It sounds like you want something that will stop your periods as well and is permanent. I don't think tying your tubes stops your period.

There's a woman on the parenting board getting a hysterectomy this fall due to the extreme pain associated with her periods. She's really excited about it. That might be one option.

image image
  • Options
    Where I work, if you deliver vaginally and have an epidural, we put a special cap on your epidural tubing and depending on what surgery is doing, if they can work you in, they can take you to tie your tubes and use your epidural soon after delivery. You wouldn't even be put to sleep! It could be 2 hours after delivery, it could be the next morning. If your doctor can't get it scheduled before you go home, you'll just come back in 6 weeks and its an outpatient procedure. They go in through your navel. No big deal :). If you have to have a c-section, they can do it while they're in there.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    i think id have a panic attack if  i was awake LOL...but thats good to know :) thanks!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"