Breastfeeding
Options

Extended BF weekly check-in (7/31/13)

Happy hump day everyone!

For the purposes of this thread nursing past one year is considered extended. Lurkers welcome. Questions are occasionally recycled. 

1. How old is your LO?

2. What other liquids does LO drink (milks, water, juices, etc.)? How much and from what containers?

3. Comfort nursing - not since the infant stage / still doing it / been there done that but have worked to cut it out?  

4. How did you reduce your number of nursing sessions per day? (i.e. suggestions on tips and tricks).

5. Non-BF question of the week. Where/how did yo meet your SO? 

As always please feel free to share anything else and suggest questions for next week's thread.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Extended BF weekly check-in (7/31/13)

• Options
    1. How old is your LO?

22 months.

2. What other liquids does LO drink (milks, water, juices, etc.)? How much and from what containers? 

Cow's milk (2% or whole), diluted juice, water. He drinks a fair amount, especially when he is outside. During meals I usually don't give him milk until he is almost done or he will chug it and fill himself up. He drinks from a straw cup or a regular cup or a regular cup with a regular straw. Honestly that kid would drink anything. He stole a sip of my coffee once (unsweetened!) and has been asking for it since.

3. Comfort nursing - not since the infant stage / still doing it / been there done that but have worked to cut it out?

Nope. He hasn't really done it since he was little. But I always had very low tolerance for it - the "fluttering" suck makes me want to scream so I would unlatch him as soon as he started doing that and would rock instead.  

4. How did you reduce your number of nursing sessions per day? (i.e. suggestions on tips and tricks). 

Most sessions he dropped on his own (like the after-work one when he would rather play with his brother). Right now he still has morning and bedtime (and naps on weekends). This week I started working on dropping the morning since I think I want to completely wean in the fall. I have been distracting him with toys and yummy breakfast instead. Intermittent success - if he starts getting really upset I give in for now.

I met DH in an internet chatroom (IRC!). This was back in 1999 so meeting on the web was an alien concept then. A month later I took a friend and drove from Philly to NYC to meet him in person. Good thing he wasn't a psycho killer. Ah to be young and stupid brave...

As always please feel free to share anything else and suggest questions for next week's thread.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1. How old is your LO?

18 months

She won't drink milk but is addicted to WATER.  We hardly give her juice but she will drink juice.  She drinks out of sippy cups or normal cups.  She also knows how to walk over the bathroom to get the step stool, stand in front of the fridge and refills her cup of water all by herself.  

We don't do much comfort nursing but if she falls down or cries I might nurse her.  She also nurses a LOT to go to sleep.  After about 15 minutes of nursing at night I have started putting her down awake in her crib, and (KNOCK ON WOOD) it's been working!

Nothing fancy, just stopped nursing her when I come home from work so we're down to morning and evenings.  If she asks during the day I try not to nurse her and distract her with something else. 

We just met at a networking event for lawyers.  Boring. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

1. How old is your LO? 15 months

2. What other liquids does LO drink (milks, water, juices, etc.)? How much and from what containers?  Coconut milk and water both are in straw sippy cups.  He will drink out of a regular cup with help but we don't do it too often.

3. Comfort nursing - not since the infant stage / still doing it / been there done that but have worked to cut it out?   DS still wakes up between 5 and 5:30 each morning and will nurse on both sides.  There is some comfort nursing then, total nursing time is about 30 min.  But, this gets him to go back to sleep till 7:30 (sometimes later)

4. How did you reduce your number of nursing sessions per day? (i.e. suggestions on tips and tricks).  It kinda happened on it's own, especially after I had some medical issues about a month ago.  I wasn't able to nurse him as much and he drank more coconut milk and BM that I had in the freezer.  After I recovered he just didn't want to nurse as much and I wasn't going to push it.  I've pretty much gone with the don't ask don't refuse.  He nurses 2-3 times a day. 

5. Non-BF question of the week. Where/how did yo meet your SO? We meet in 2006 through mutual friends.
    Married 6-7-08
    Everett 4-27-12
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

1. How old is your LO? 13.5 months old.

2. What other liquids does LO drink (milks, water, juices, etc.)? How much and from what containers? WCM, water, occasional (only for fun) sips of ice tea or juice. We can't find a sippy cup he'll actually drink from, so he still gets milk in a bottle, and the sips of other liquids from regular drinking glasses. It's a bit messy.

3. Comfort nursing - not since the infant stage / still doing it / been there done that but have worked to cut it out?  He's never been much of a comfort nurser, but I offer if he's particularly upset or tired.

4. How did you reduce your number of nursing sessions per day? (i.e. suggestions on tips and tricks). He led the way. As I cut back on pumping sessions at work leading up to his birthday my milk supply decreased quite a bit, so it was really easy on weekends to offer WCM instead. He doesn't seem particularly interested in nursing before bed, but is still nursing first thing in the morning.

5. Non-BF question of the week. Where/how did yo meet your SO? Match.com.
  • Options

1. How old is your LO? 1 year

2. What other liquids does LO drink (milks, water, juices, etc.)? How much and from what containers? LO mainly drinks water from her sippy cup.  We recently introduced almond milk.  So far she thinks the almond milk is OK but won't drink a large amount of it. 

3. Comfort nursing - not since the infant stage / still doing it / been there done that but have worked to cut it out? LO still comfort nurses randomly.  It is mostly when she is tired but wont go down for a nap.  We snuggle and she nurses/comfort nurses for an hour. 

4. How did you reduce your number of nursing sessions per day? (i.e. suggestions on tips and tricks). We just started to wean during the day.  I am cutting out one session a day for a couple of weeks, then moving on to the next session.  I plan to cut 3 sessions out (our 10 am, 1 pm, and 4:30 pm session).  I am working on the 10 am one first as it is the one she is least attached to.  I have been offering almond milk in a sippy cup.  She has been doing OK with it but not great.  Since I work she takes it pretty well at DC but on the weekend it is a bit more of a struggle since I am home. Hopefully she adjusts and it gets better on the weekends.

5. Non-BF question of the week. Where/how did yo meet your SO?  At Sams club.  I was there with a mutual friend who knew my now H.  He introduced us and we hit it off.  When have been together ever since.

• Options

Also new here.

1. How old is your LO? 13 months

2. What other liquids does LO drink (milks, water, juices, etc.)? How much and from what containers? water, and some cow's milk (not much - right now, he only wants to nurse and take water out of a cup or sippy; I have frozen BM and fresh I'm still pumping, and he won't take those at all; occasionally, he'll take a few sips of cow's milk out of a sippy at daycare)

3. Comfort nursing - not since the infant stage / still doing it / been there done that but have worked to cut it out?   still does it, but not as much lately; mostly when he's tired, or if he falls or is teething

4. How did you reduce your number of nursing sessions per day? (i.e. suggestions on tips and tricks).  I still pretty much nurse when he wants to, so haven't actively done anything here; I have cut out a couple of pumping sessions at work, but still nurse about the same as we did before on nights/weekends

5. Non-BF question of the week. Where/how did yo meet your SO?  At work - I'd moved back to Kansas after working in Texas for a couple of years, and my husband was already an engineer at the firm I started working at; so we're both nerds, and poor son is probably doomed to be one as well

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kristen714kristen714 member
    edited July 2013
    1. LO is 14 1/2 months old. 2. She drinks water from a straw sippy (thermos foogo). She isn't a huge fan of WCM. She will often take a sip and that's it. 3. She is still a bug comfort nurser. We are working on cutting it down/shortening the length. 4. I am still working on this. I have been able to distract her by taking her outside to play. 5. We were in high school and our friends were going on a date and we were each drug along. The rest is history! ETA: I am on my iPad and the spacing isn't working. Sorry! Anyone know how to fix? I tried putting extra lines between the responses and it didn't work.
  • Options
    This might be my last week!

1. How old is your LO? 22 months tomorrow

2. What other liquids does LO drink (milks, water, juices, etc.)? How much and from what containers?  He drinks water, milk, and smoothies out of straw cups.  I don't really keep track of how much because we give him on demand.  When he asks for milk he gets it, when he asks for water he gets it.

3. Comfort nursing - not since the infant stage / still doing it / been there done that but have worked to cut it out?   I'm not sure if he ever comfort nursed.  Maybe before bed?   Usually if he was nursing he was hungry.  I guess some middle of the night feeds during illness/teething could be considered comfort nursing but he always dropped those when he was feeling better.

4. How did you reduce your number of nursing sessions per day? (i.e. suggestions on tips and tricks).  He dropped them on his own.

5. Non-BF question of the week. Where/how did yo meet your SO?  DH and I met in college.  We were in a play together and he played my stepfather.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    1. How old is your LO? She'll be 14 months on Friday

2. What other liquids does LO drink (milks, water, juices, etc.)? How much and from what containers? My DD has food allergies, and can't have any of the recommended milks.  Since giving up dairy, soy, nuts etc., I only pump about half of what she needs in a day.  We supplement with a prescription formula - her bottles are half BM, half formula, and she still gets 5-6 a day.  Her doctors suggest she should continue with the formula/bm until she's 2, which is why I'm still pumping.  I never thought I'd go past a year, but what can you do, the baby needs to eat. 

From a sippy cup she'll drink water, and a limited amount of coconut milk and Fruitables juice. She's not too interested in cold drinks, not even smoothies!  We still have to heat her bottles :P

3. Comfort nursing - not since the infant stage / still doing it / been there done that but have worked to cut it out?   I'm an EPer, she never latched properly so I've only ever pumped.

4. How did you reduce your number of nursing sessions per day? (i.e. suggestions on tips and tricks).  I'm down to 4 pumping sessions a day.  I found that if I increased the time per pump, it didn't kill my supply.  I'm sure if I went back up to 6 sessions I could cut back on the amount of formula she gets, but honestly, I don't want to pump 6 times a day! It was so hard to fit that into the work day/commute.

5. Non-BF question of the week. Where/how did yo meet your SO?  We met on a dating site in college, although it turned out my best friend lived in his dorm.

• Options

1. How old is your LO? Will be 2 next week!

2. What other liquids does LO drink (milks, water, juices, etc.)? How much and from what containers? Mostly I offer water. DS has recently fallen in love with cow milk and he likes yogurt smoothie drink, but I limit it to 8 oz or so per day combined. In the past 2 weeks, I gave him his first apple and eve juice boxes (I figure it has less sugar than the capri sun and kool aid juice boxes moms are always offering at the park, so I keep them on-hand for that only) He likes big kid cups, so mainly drinks out of those.

3. Comfort nursing - not since the infant stage / still doing it / been there done that but have worked to cut it out?   We are still comfort nursing. Best tool in my arsenal to make him happy very quickly.

4. How did you reduce your number of nursing sessions per day? (i.e. suggestions on tips and tricks). We're doing baby lead-weaning, and he nurses between 4-8 times per day, including MOTN if he wakes up. When we are outside the house, and he is busy playing with friends, he NEVER wants to nurse, so I suggest keep your LO busy to try and drop sessions.

5. Non-BF question of the week. Where/how did yo meet your SO? In Undergrad.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Options
    Baby is 1year and6daysyay for 1year. He drinks some water with meals. We have tried Wcm and juice when dr suggested when sick. Maybe 6 ounces of water from zippy. Bottles are done. We still co fort nurse when traveling or tired. We have not dropped a session. When I get home from work I'm attacked till he gets to nurse.
  • Options

1. How old is your LO? My boys are 13 months

2. What other liquids does LO drink (milks, water, juices, etc.)? How much and from what containers? They drink water throughout the day and WCM at meal times. They drink a few ounces of each during the day. They use the Nuby sippy and straw sippy cups. They do well with both of them. 

3. Comfort nursing - not since the infant stage / still doing it / been there done that but have worked to cut it out?   Some days they want to comfort nurse a lot, other days they want to nurse and be done. Usually the morning nursing is the longest which is some comfort nursing. 

4. How did you reduce your number of nursing sessions per day? (i.e. suggestions on tips and tricks). So far we are only down 1 session from where we were a few months ago. I replaced an evening session with dinner time. 

5. Non-BF question of the week. Where/how did yo meet your SO? Freshman year in college. We were friends for a year, then started dating.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 21C
  • Options
    1. 16 months

2. Just water from a sippy. She refuses to drink pumped milk or wcm or any combination of from a sippy.

3. We comfort nurse as needed.

4. I didn't do anything special. She just began eating more solids and all of a sudden we were at morning and night only

5. We met through a friend of his. I went to college with the friend.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    1. How old is your LO? 16 months

2. What other liquids does LO drink (milks, water, juices, etc.)? We give him water in a sippy.

3. Comfort nursing - not since the infant stage / still doing it / been there done that but have worked to cut it out?   he loves to comfort nurse. Yesterday he napped for an hour while comfort nursing.

4. How did you reduce your number of nursing sessions per day? (i.e. suggestions on tips and tricks). I still nurse on demand when I'm with him. While I'm at work he gets a sippy of BM (I still pump at work).

5. Non-BF question of the week. Where/how did yo meet your SO?   We met at college 14 years ago!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Ooh, I'm late to the game, but LO just turned one, so I guess I'm technically extended!

1. How old is your LO?  One year and 3 days

2. What other liquids does LO drink (milks, water, juices, etc.)? How much and from what containers? Water from a sippy cup

3. Comfort nursing - not since the infant stage / still doing it / been there done that but have worked to cut it out?   I think my milk is pretty much gone by her bed time.  I think she comfort sucks for two minutes per side, then cries to get in bed.  Other than that, I don't think she really comfort sucks.  She mostly wants to get her milk and get down and play.

4. How did you reduce your number of nursing sessions per day? (i.e. suggestions on tips and tricks).  We nurse once in the morning, twice in the evening, and she takes 3 bottles at DC.  I guess at some point we should cut one of the evening sessions?  Haven't really figured out what we're going to do.

5. Non-BF question of the week. Where/how did yo meet your SO?  We met at a country and western dance hall, haha!  Neither of us really go to places like that, but just happened to be there at the same time.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    litzo27 said:

Happy hump day everyone!

For
    the purposes of this thread nursing past one year is considered
    extended. Lurkers welcome. Questions are occasionally recycled. 

1. How old is your LO? 26.5 months

2. What other liquids does LO drink (milks, water, juices, etc.)? How much and from what containers? Water and cows milk mostly, ice tea, juice rarely.

most of our nursing is comfort and security nursing, and nursing to sleep.

It just happens naturally as I get busy or he does.

Through mutual friends, he was friends with two brothers and I was friends with one of their sisters.

As
    always please feel free to share anything else and suggest questions
    for next week's thread.
    I'm 7 weeks almost 8 weeks and still BFing.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image image image image image image
  • Options

I'm kinda new!  I was on the bump when I was pregnant, and now that life has slowed down a bit, I'm back :)

1. How old is your LO?  1 year old today!

2. What other liquids does LO drink (milks, water, juices, etc.)? How much and from what containers?  water - he LOVES it!  he occasionally uses a sippy, but his favorite is to drink from a straw out of my or  my husband's glass.  we don't measure - he drinks to thirst.

3. Comfort nursing - not since the infant stage / still doing it / been there done that but have worked to cut it out?   all the time!  I don't mind one bit, so we are in no hurry to cut it out.

4. How did you reduce your number of nursing sessions per day? (i.e. suggestions on tips and tricks).  we haven't.  he just learned the sign for 'nurse' so he will literally sign it, latch on for 10 seconds, then play, and repeat at least 30 times a day!  I really want to reinforce the signing, and he enjoys 'checking in'.  I will go back to work this fall, M-F, 7:45-2:30, so that will naturally limit his nursing.

5. Non-BF question of the week. Where/how did yo meet your SO?  we worked together at the YMCA - I was 17, and a swim lesson instructor, and he was 19, and a fitness coach.

Thanks for having me!  

• Options
    Esbi25Esbi25 member
    edited August 2013
    1. How old is your LO?

14 months.

Whole cows milk during the day. He does drink water, but usually chugs for a second then refuses it. We have held off on introducing any juice until just this week when he has had some internal back ups and we gave some in an attempt to get more fluids in him. He didn't like prune or apple juice that much though, so it didn't really accomplish much.

He still comfort nurses at bedtime and nap time on weekends. We need to work on that soon, but I'm not rushing things.

I just let it happen naturally as we worked solids in and water. I'm of the belief that it can be unnecessarily stressful to rush things due to feeling pressured and instead just let your LO initiate changes as they get more comfortable.

We met at a bar :)

• Options

1. How old is your LO? 20 months

2. What other liquids does LO drink (milks, water, juices, etc.)? How much and from what containers? Milk (just started drinking it this week), water, and sometimes juice. Drinks out of sippy cups, straw sippys, and (when supervised) a regular cup. Not really sure how much, but I'd say 1 cup of milk, 3cups water, and the occasional cup of juice. 

3. Comfort nursing - not since the infant stage / still doing it / been there done that but have worked to cut it out?  Still doing it

4. How did you reduce your number of nursing sessions per day? (i.e. suggestions on tips and tricks). I haven't really. We're still nursing on demand but in the not offering/not denying phase. I'd say we're still averaging about 12x/day and that's including motn feedings. 

5. Non-BF question of the week. Where/how did yo meet your SO?  Met him at my best friend's house while home for the summer between junior and senior year of college. 

Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"