High-Risk Pregnancy

GD

Hello there, I know I posted on this wall before but i am just stressed and frustrated and just SAD about all of this stuff going on and i need some encourging words from anyone. I have PCOS and my husband and I tried for 3 years on infertitly drugs to get pregnant which finally happened for us with IVF. My pregnancy has been good so far- even through for the first 16 weeks I was pregnant I worried that we might lose the baby (miscarrige in the past) but after i finally knew i was pregnant and this was the real thing BAM they test for for GD and I have it. They let me be on the diet just for 4 days and my numbers in the mornings were too high so now they have me on insuilin (started last night-16 units) When i woke up this morning I was hopeful that my morning number would have gone down and sadly it just stayed the same if not high then yesterdays number. I am just so bummed that nothing is going right or right in my mind. I want to do everything right for little baby- but reading about baby's weight being high, inducing early, non-stress test, something just going wrong and the risk of everything is making me stressed and bummed out which is not going to help my test in an hour. Can ANYONE give me any advice on how they handle GD and what are somethings that you can tell me that's positive. I am just like all the other mom's out there and just want everything to be perfect and normal but i know that I can over come this and it's going to be just fine but really in need of some support. ANYONE??

Re: GD

• I am sorry.

I also had a hard time with the GD diagnosis. 

I cried for about two weeks, a couple times a day. I felt like such a failure, like I had no control. I would try so so so hard to do what they said, eat the diet and I would get numbers that were a mystery to me.

I read scary things about the risks for me and the baby. I worried about inductions and c/s. 

It got better after the first two weeks. 

My GD nutritionist changed my diet twice. She also gave me tips on what to eat and what not to eat. After about two weeks, I finally felt like "I can do this". 

I am mostly diet controlled. I take 1.25 mg of glyburide each night (and have since diagnosis). 

Follow your doctor's advice. They will be able to help you hit the numbers they want you to hit. 

Just keep trying. You can do it. It will get easier. 

In my situation, I can say the NSTs are no big deal. At first it was kind of annoying to have to many appointments, but the NST itself is not bad at all. They just monitor the baby's heartbeat and movement. 

I also have weekly u/s to check fluids, baby's breathing and my placenta. 

I was diagnosed at 24 weeks, I have been following the GD diet and my LO is not "big" at all. He has been measured three times, 42nd percentile, 24th percentile and 41st percentile. He is expected to be 7.5 pounds when he gets here. 

Because things have been going so well, my OB said she would let me go to 40 weeks. My baby is breech (not GD related) so I am having a scheduled c/s.

I will say - this PG has been a lot harder than I would have thought/wanted. I was sick for the first 18 weeks (MS). DH and I underwent some genetic testing in first trimester and had some worrying results. It took over two weeks to get the final results. I think I spent the whole time crying and wondering if my baby was going to be born just to die. This was followed by GD diagnosis (more crying). And then at 34 weeks I was told my baby was breech. I had to make some tough decisions (more crying). I decided not to try to turn him and scheduled a c/s.

Overall, really it hasn't gone at all the way I wanted it. But I am focused on the end goal. A healthy baby and a healthy mom. And I think that we have a really good chance of both. My OB and everyone think that the baby looks great and that I will be OK after the c/s. So that is the most important. 

I know it is hard. Just try to take it one day and one week at a time. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Thank you for sharing your story with me. I am glad I am not the only one crying. I know its something my body just needs to over come all we are asking is for a healthy baby but thanks for reassuring me!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • vduenow said:

Thank you for sharing your story with me. I am glad I am not the only one crying. I know its something my body just needs to over come all we are asking is for a healthy baby but thanks for reassuring me!!!

You are welcome! It is hard. Hard when pg doesn't go the way you thought it would.

The good news is that for well diagnosed and well controlled GD the outcomes are very good, really. If you follow the advice and direction, you should have every chance of a healthy baby and mom :-)

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • I have had two GD pregnancies, on insulin for both, and expect they'll send me for an early GTT after my appt today. I won't lie, it's hard. There's a learning curve to the diet, learning what you can and cannot eat because it will vary from person to person. It sucks having to prick your finger several times a day, and sucks even more to give yourself an injection. I was up to 3 shots a day when I delivered #1 and 4 shots a day when I delivered #2. It's just not a fun thing to deal with, but I promise you'll be okay. You'll come out the other side and it will all be fine.

If it helps to hear positive outcomes - I have two healthy, perfect little GD babies. I was induced due to being on insulin and still getting crazy numbers with #1 and on insulin and having high amniotic fluid levels with #2, but while the inductions were long my deliveries were fairly easy vaginal deliveries, no complications. My girls were small - 6lbs 11oz and 6lbs even - and their blood sugar was perfect at birth. My blood sugar returned to normal within a few days. We're all here happy and healthy and gearing up to do it again :)
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks:) I am glad that you can also share with me that your babies are so healthy! I can't wait for the next 3 months to just fly by to meet my little one. Thanks for the words of encourgment they really do mean a lot to me!
  • Sea ConquestSea Conquest member
    edited July 2013
    I also have pcos and knew that gd was a real possibility. It still hurt when I was dx with my first. I was stressed and anxious about how my son and I would be affected. I was diet controlled except for Metformin, which I was already taking for pcos. My son was born spontaneously and vaginally at 41w1d, with the help of midwives, and was 7 lbs. 11 oz. Neither of us had any health issues after birth.

With baby #2, I've been much more relaxed. I was dx with gd at 10w this time, and was basically expecting it. I've also had to take Glyburide at night, but after getting over the initial shock of having to take meds, I've been pretty zen about the whole thing. My edd is tomorrow, baby and I are doing fine, and everything is on track (God willing) for another normal, vaginal delivery.

I know that a gd dx can be tough to take, but please try to stay calm and positive. Odds are overwhelmingly in your favor that everything will be fine. Best wishes.
  • What you're feeling is perfectly normal!  It's almost like the you have to experience the 7 stages of grief after you've been diagnosed.  I was diagnosed with GD with my first around 25 weeks and never thought in a million years I would have it.  Like others have said, it took about 2 weeks for me to accept that this was what was dealt to me.  Consulting this board and reading up on GD helped me to manage my frustrations.  Unfortunately, friends who have never gone through this were not always helpful with their opinions- I learned to let it roll off my back. 

GD wound up being a blessing in disguise- I think it forced me to be healthier than I have been in awhile.  I learned to eat more healthy, fit in exercise throughout the day and that a little hunger every now and then won't kill you.  Since I was living such a healthy lifestyle, I actually lost weight during those last 3 months and lost even more after my daughter was born (probably due to breastfeeding).  My daughter was breach so I had to have a c-section because of that and not her size.  There were no issues with her blood sugar and my levels were normal after giving birth. 

This time around I haven't been diagnosed with GD yet (my first glucose test at 8 weeks was normal), but my doctor recommended that I follow the diet.  I have been slowing getting back into that groove because I fell into a lot of my bad habits once I came back to work and I know how hard it is to constantly be thinking about food and counting carbs, etc. 
  • I was diagnosed with GD about 3 weeks ago, and have been on the diet for about 2 weeks. I'm a FTM, so I don't have any past expierence with this. But like most of the other ladies on here, I do the dx very tough and cried on and off for the first two weeks. Sometimes it still gets me down. I was at a wedding this weekend and ate what I thought was good from the buffet but my number was still 20 points higher than my limited. That made me cry a little because I just wanted to have a normal night out and felt like a failure. So it still gets me down every now and then, but it does get easier. It will be frustrating figuring out what carbs your body can and can't handle, but everyone on this board is very helpful with that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I literally could have written this myself two weeks ago. MH and I tried for 2 years before we got our sticky baby. I also have PCOS.. I guess I should have expected this but I didn't. I also have placenta previa and most likely having a c section. Honestly I get so so mad sometimes, after all I went through to get pregnant now I have to go through all this while being pregnant? My son is really making me work for him. 

It does get easier, once you feel more in control of things and OK with the DX of GD you will feel better. The thing is, is us IF ladies are strong. We can handle this it just takes some time to adjust. Talk with your dietitian. Have you changed your diet at all? Hopefully your body can regulate the GD soon with the diet/exercise and now the medication. It is not going to happen overnight. Trust me.. in a few weeks once all this settles down and you get the hang of your meal planning and testing you will feel better. 

Just try and remind yourself this is all for a great reason. You WILL have a beautiful baby at the end. 

Regarding the risks and things like a larger baby etc your OB should be doing some additional monitoring in the third tri to keep an eye out on things. Talk with her, make sure they know that you are worried. 

Good luck!!!  
    Me; 28 Hubby: 29 - TTC since 5/11 - PCOS Cycle #18-21 Clomid & Trigger & TI = BFN 
    Cycle #22 Gonal-F & Trigger & IUI = BFFP!! EDD 10/4/13 Beta#1 50.5, Beta#2 212, Beta#3 452, First HB 133!!!Logan William born 10/7
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"