August 2012 Moms
Options

Is this a bit odd?

Our neighbor has an 18 month old that DS plays with sometimes. This neighbor is really nice and I think she is a great mom (she has 3 kids). It is very obvious that she loves all her kids, it is just that she always calls her two older children her adopted kids. I knew the first time I met her that her older two were adopted because she introduced them that way. She really is a great mom and she really loves all her children equally but I just keep wondering why she uses the adopted title so much.
Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket

Re: Is this a bit odd?

• Options
    It seems a bit strange to me. I wonder why she needs a distinction, especially since they are older so she didn't have to explain what was happening to a younger child. I could see getting stuck on that if your toddler kept saying it.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options
    SM0524SM0524 member
    Seems odd to me. I have a cousin who has 2 kids (ds thru IVF and dd is adopted from Russia). She is always calling ds her test tube baby and dd a crazy Russian. I've heard her complain to them how expensive they were and still are too. It driving me crazy! She's a great mom too and without a doubt loves them very much. I just have no clue why she finds it necessary to say things like that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you know the reason behind the adopted? I mean if they were a spouses from a previous marriage or a family member who passed and she got custody I could see the distinction then, not wanting them to feel like shes trying to take the place?
  • Options
    The reason was fertility issues for the adoption, their youngest was an IVF success
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • Options
    It's weird to me. I know a few people that have adopted and even though their kids know that they're adopted, it's not something that they point out every time they refer to their adopted kids. I feel like that would single them out or make them feel like they were less of their child than their biological children, emotionally.

When my sister was 6, her teacher asked her if I was her step-sister (I was 15, her mom was 29), and she told her teacher, "The only steps in my house lead to the basement." I thought that was the cutest thing in the world.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Options
    Then I think that is strange.
  • Options
    That is very strange.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    That is rather strange.  I know a number of people who have adopted children and they are never referred to them in that way. If the topic of conversation came up, it wasn't hidden. Just never pointed out.
  • Options
    I think this is very sad.  I hope neither child is affected by this as they grow up.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    A friend of mine always calls her DD her "love child" or "bastard child" since she is not married and now not with the father... Drives me nuts.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    That's not right. Pretty sad for the adopted kids if you ask me.  Perhaps she feels like she needs validation for a valiant deed she's done (adoption)??? Strange.
    SMOOCHES FOR ALL!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"