February 2013 Moms
Options

How do you know...

.... if your baby just isn't ready for solids?
I know variations of this question have been asked before, I guess I'd just like to hear opinions. We gave DD oatmeal cereal for the first time last weekend. The first two times, she did reasonably well. The two times after that, she was completely disinterested. Didn't open her mouth for the spoon, wasn't into it at all. I asked what other moms would do on FB, and several people suggested that I mix applesauce or some kind of fruit into the cereal to give it more taste.
I did that yesterday and today. She still doesn't seem to really be interested. Today all she wanted to do was grab the spoon and chew on it. She doesn't even open her mouth when the spoon comes... I have to kind of push the spoon into her mouth, and then she just sorta tongue thrusts most of it out.
Next week we are going on vacation. My current thought is to hold off on any kinds of solids until after we get back, and then try something completely different, like sweet potatoes. Does this sound like a good plan? WWYD?
PCOS with long, irregular cycles
First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

Re: How do you know...

• Options
    MBush4MBush4 member
    It's perfectly fine and normal for kids to not show an interest in solids at 6 months or sooner. Are you feeding her BM/formula beforehand? Maybe she's just full by the time you offer her the solids. It sounds like you're doing really well though with your plan. And who knows, maybe then she'll be more interested.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• Options
    I agree with the others. Your plan sounds good. We start with veggies because that's what's recommended over here, and to me it makes more sense than cereal (not that there's anything wrong with starting with cereal!).

With DD1 we started and it went ok, but after a couple of days she wasn't interested and I had gotten into the mindset that she needed the solids (my pedi is a big advocate of starting them at 4 months), so feeding got really stressful. Then I gave myself a reality check and just put them aside for about 2-3 weeks. We started again and things went better.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    MBush4 said:

It's perfectly fine and normal for kids to not show an interest in solids at 6 months or sooner. Are you feeding her BM/formula beforehand? Maybe she's just full by the time you offer her the solids. It sounds like you're doing really well though with your plan. And who knows, maybe then she'll be more interested.

I've always started a feeding with the cereal and then nursed her afterwards, so I don't think she's full.
    @kelly321, the only reason I started with cereal is because I was given several boxes of it at my baby shower. Otherwise I probably would've started with a veggie too :)
    Thanks for the replies!
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    My first took to cereal like a champ and loved it.  My second wanted nothing at all to do with it.  I thought he wasn't interested in food because I could never get him to eat cereal.  One day I decided to try something else and he loved it.  With my third he isn't a fan of cereal by itself but he likes a thicker food so I mix cereal in with his food to make it the thickness he likes.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

• Options
    You might try to skip to veggies. Our little man hated oatmeal. We finally decided to try veggies instead, and he is totally into it now. We tried oatmeal again after then veggies , he still does not eat it. I think it even made his face break out.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    DS1 really wasn't interested in solids until 7 months, closer to 8 months.  DS2 is already past 6 months and I still haven't tried.  I may in the coming week becuase I do feel like he's showing signs, but if it goes poorly, I will hold off for awhile and try back again.  I made myself a little crazy with DS1, trying too early (for him), and I won't go through that again!

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Options
    jbatchjbatch member
    My dr said to practice it's not about filling up.. So I keep trying and she sometimes eats and sometimes doesn't..

I have a Daughter born 2/26/2013. She is pretty much amazing!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    We did oatmeal cereal for the first time tonight. Pretty sure she didn't actually eat anything lol. She did a couple of whole body shivers a couple of times.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We tried bananas a week or so ago and he was not into them, terrible faces, pushing them out, closing mouth (and sucking in his bottom lip). I gave it a few days and tried again and same reaction. A couple of days later I tried avocado and he took to that better, but still not terribly enthused. We're also going on vacation soon, so I'm trying to decide if it's worth carrying all the junk that goes with solids, or just picking it up when we get back (the probable decision). IMO a week is not going to make a detrimental difference and he may like it better after being another week older.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"