December 2013 Moms
Options

When to buy?

Just wondered how many, if any of your baby items you have already bought? It's our first and we have our a/s next weds and I thought it would be nice to go buy some baby stuff after, but SO isn't all that interested, he said there's no rush! In a way he's right, we have got 20 weeks left but I'm getting so anxious that we haven't really bought anything yet :/

Re: When to buy?

• Options
    mZitomZito member
    We have 22 weeks left and we're going to start pricing big items and start buying. I'd rather start now, slowly, rather than rush before the baby gets here. DH is good with whatever, lol.
  • Options
    My parents and in laws have ordered our nursery furniture because it takes 10 weeks. Otherwise we bought a few clearance baby outfits at Carter's for next summer because they were dirt cheap. In September, we are going to start stocking up on diapers, but otherwise we plan to wait until after our showers (we will have at least three - my family, his family, and work; we are so blessed).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We haven't bought anything, and will probably only buy what we need for the first few weeks, and no nursery set-up pre-baby -- it's a cultural/superstitious thing with us, though.
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • Options
    I feel better now, thanks :) don't think I'll be having a shower because I'm self employed and have no colleagues, most of my friends are male and my family are pretty low on cash as one of my sisters gave birth last week and the other sister is due in sept!
  • Options
    Oh, maybe I lied!  One investment we did make: we signed up for our local cloth diapering service, if that counts!

:D
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • Options
    SoMoNYSoMoNY member
    My parents and in laws have ordered our nursery furniture because it takes 10 weeks. 
    This for FTMs!  A lot of people think the stores keep the furniture in stock but most of time its an 8-12 week time frame till you get it and it needs time to air out

We are having a second boy so we really don't need anything.  When time comes closer might splurge on new BP and some new bottles.

• Options
    Fizzy8 said:
    I feel better now, thanks :) don't think I'll be having a shower because I'm self employed and have no colleagues, most of my friends are male and my family are pretty low on cash as one of my sisters gave birth last week and the other sister is due in sept!
    Oh, that's nice your baby will have so many same-age cousins to grow up with, though!
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • Options
    We started buying things we needed. I figured I'd rather spread the purchases out over time instead of buying it all near the end. We have our crib, dresser, changing table, some clothing, lots of cloth diapers.
      Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersimage
  • Options
    My hubby was never very interested either, kind of left it up to me. I would suggest getting your registry ready and if you are having a shower then wait until after the shower. I you really don't think that your family an friends will get you the big stuff like furniture than think of getting that but not all the other stuff. Car seats, high chairs, and all the little stuff are popular items at showers... You can fill in the rest after.
  • Options
    We've been lucky to have our cot and nursery furniture brought by my parents. My maternal grandma has brought our Moses basket, which will be in the front room during the day. My ex co-workers have brought us a swing crib that will be our bedroom for the first few months. My paternal grandma had brought my breast pump, bottles, bottle warmer and sterilizer. We've also acquired lots of mobiles from friends and a jump-a-roo. We just need to work on the in laws to get us a buggy lol
  • Options

With DD I bought a few things here and there, especially if I caught a good sale.  I waited to buy most things after the shower, but I wanted everything done by 30 weeks...we ended up being done around 32-33 weeks.

photo b1f62123-e338-48e2-a2d8-373638902d4d.jpg 

• Options

This is our 2nd so we don't need much. I don't plan on buying much til after we know if boy or girl.

My first pregnancy though, we only bought the things I didn't want to have our registry. (I felt odd having a bunch of big ticket items on there & also didn't want to go out buying all the little inexpensive things leaving my guest list with only the pricy items to get for us).

We got crib & bedding ahead of time & were given hand me down high chair, swing, jumper & bouncy seat so that took care of a lot right away. We didn't buy much more til after the shower when we got coupons.

My 2 December boys

• Options
    After our 12 week appointment we started buying furniture. Other than nursery set up things, we are going to wait to see what we will get at our baby shower, and then buy what we still need.

After the a/s we did buy some clothes, but were trying not to...

• Options
    We don;t have much left over from DD, other than clothes and a PNP. So far I've gotten a play yard (the big one, not a PNP), some hooded towels and washcloths, a Bumbo, an umbrella stroller, and some baby clothes.

I'm mostly a sale shopper, so if I see something going at an amazing price, I jump on it. I plan to save the bigger purchases for the registry completion coupon, but we are setting money aside for those now, and I'm starting in on some of the smaller stuff in the $25 or less category now.
    Isabelle born via emergency c-section after her heart stopped 04.29.10
    asthma, astigmatism, amblyopia, allergies, tongue and maxillary ties

Noah born via RCS 12.09.13
    14q11.2 duplication, receptive language and adaptive behavior delays
    multiple health concerns under evaluation
    follow him here: www.facebook.com/lovefornoah

• Options

My SO is the anxious one! I wanted to wait - just to make sure baby is healthy & everything is fine. But he's an over-planner. We already have the stroller & carseat, the nursery is painted, crib/changing table in & assembled, glider & ottoman in place, and he wants to order the dresser & build a shelf in the closet right away too. My mom bought a few small clothing items, towels & washcloths. Honestly, I feel overwhelmed & worry we're doing things too soon. But my fiance is the one who is rushing to get it done right away. I think I've been so busy with our wedding planning, he felt like this was something he could jump in & take care of. And he's so beyond excited that we're having a little girl, he just can't help it.

20 weeks is still a lot of time, so I wouldn't stress yourself out over it much right now! If you feel like you should get something done now, would your SO understand if you explained wanting to get some things early just to ease the anxiety? I think you should explain how you feel & why you want to go sooner, and hopefully he will agree and happily go along.
    I'm hoping once he finds out whether its a boy or girl, it might all seem a bit more real to him and get a bit more excited about putting his long arms into his deep pockets! Lol :)

• Options
    MrsP821 said:

Fizzy8 said:

Wow! Your family is growing a lot this year! If you're not having a shower, then yes, you might want to start researching some of the larger items (car seat, stroller, etc.) and purchase those. It's so hard to not buy anything, but my husband insisted that we don't buy anything until after the shower. I get it, but it's so tempting!

Every time I go out I end up in the baby aisle and have to resist! It's really nice that we're all having babies together, just think my sisters should have had their babies a bit earlier so I could have had their hand me downs, how inconsiderate eh!? :)
  • Options
    We've bought quite a bit at garage sales and through Craigslist. When I find a good deal, I get it. We have all the big pieces but furniture. Just scored my new breast pump last night. Half price.
    Where did you get your breast pump? I seem to remember that we are located in the same area.

Beckett Rilee & Caitlyn Leigh born 9-21-13 @ 27w due to PPROM

• Options
    We have bought some clothes already and this weekend were buying our stroller because it's too expensive to put on our registry. We are gonna order the crib soon too. I also buy sale items, things on zulily that are almost half price, I'd rather buy so then I can put more essential things on my registry! 

My sweet girl Lilijana Jane 12/16/13
    View Full Size Image 
  • Options
    Since this is our 4th I won't be having any showers even though people wanted to throw me one. I think it was tacky of me accept a shower for my 4th child.. So we are going to start in a few weeks since we sold everything we had thinking our third was our last, we are starting from scratch. So instead of buying everything at once we will buy things slowly and not shock our bank account haha.

Mommy of four munchkins!

• Options
    I don't have much yet. DH still thinks it's pretty early, but I would prefer to spread purchases out. After our a/s this Friday, maybe I can convince him to go shopping. I won't buy many clothes until I see what I receive at a shower. 

My stash so far: a Boppy, 2 boxes of diapers, a nursing cover, board books, and a bouncer.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I told DH I'd really like to start getting big things sooner rather than later just so we have it. Some friends of ours almost didn't have a crib by the time their baby was born because it was backordered so many different times.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image   image
  • Options

I told DH I'd really like to start getting big things sooner rather than later just so we have it. Some friends of ours almost didn't have a crib by the time their baby was born because it was backordered so many different times.

That's part of the reason I'm worrying. I do feel better knowing I'm not the only one not to have bought anything yet but gonna have a serious talk with SO and try and get the majority of things by the time I hit 30 weeks. I'll have enough to think about actually giving birth let alone whether we have what we need. I mean, what if baby decides to come a bit early!?
  • Options

I am a FTM and H's kids are older - 17 and 10, so we were excited to shop!  We started last Friday right after our A/S.  We have probably 1/2 of everything we will need already...  Plus I ordered more online today.  We still need the crib and changing table (family are buying that for us), diapers, wipes, bath stuff, a swing, curtains for the room, breast pump, bottles and that's about it.  H painted the room last weekend too.  Did I mention that we are excited?  I say shop when you want!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"