3rd Trimester

Membrane sweep, how long till labor?

edited July 2013 in 3rd Trimester
I am 39 weeks and just got a membrane sweep yesterday at 9am that night I was having contractions 5 min apart for 2 hours so I headed to the hospital. I was only 2cm and 75% so they sent me home. Did the membrane sweep kick start your labor?? If so how long does it take?

Re: Membrane sweep, how long till labor?

• I never had a membrane sweep, but after my last check it triggered contractions 3-5 minutes apart for well over 7 hours. A week later, I'm still pregnant. Having talked to friends who have done the membrane sweep, most of the time it isn't successful at starting labor. Hopefully you have different results!
    Hawaii
  • It didn't start labor for me, but then again I tried much earlier (37 wks) trying to avoid Pitocin induction. Anyhow, it did work for a friend of mine. She had her membranes swept at 39 weeks with both her pregnancies and both times went into labor 2-3 days after having it done.
  • Loading the player...
  • If your body isn't ready then it may never happen. I know women who have had 3 membrane sweeps and its does nothing. There is no guarantee it will put you over. So, the answer is that it might not do anything and we can't tell you. Its all individual. I am skipping membrane sweeps for this reason. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Unfortunately with my last two pregnancies I did it at 38wks and it didn't do anything other than give me contractions for a day. I was at 3cm before the membrane sweep and 3cm a week later. Hope it works for you though!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Didn't work for me. I did it 3 times, and was still induced 1 week after the 3rd time. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• I had one on my due date. It caused lots of cramping and contractions but it just died off after a while. Now here I am still waiting for my baby to come out possibly getting induced in a couple days. It is a 50/50 though, it works for some people and not for others. I guess it just depends on you. 
     imageimageimageimage  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

• I had mine swept at 40w3d at 10 am. I went into labor at 11 pm and had my baby the next day at 12 pm. It either works or it doesn't! Worked for me.
  • With my son (second child) I had my membranes swept on a Friday afternoon at 38 weeks 6 days and woke up Monday morning in labor.  Of course, there's no guarantee it had anything to do with it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm lurking from second tri, but I had my membranes swept with my first son on the day of my due date and immediately started contractions...it was a long so process but I had my son the following night.  I think when it works, it works right away.  I suspect that if labor happens days later its just a coincidence.
  • The research shows that membrane sweeps do not shorten the duration of time before onset of labor, but do increase your risk of membrane rupture (which can lead to a malpositioned baby and protracted labor). I have no idea why women do this. Keep your bag intact!
  • My MW will attempt a sweep next week (if I make it to then). I would be 40w4 days. I'm agreeable to this bc I'm attempting VBAC and can't have a medical induction bc hospital won't give pitocin for a VBAC attempt. So I would be doing it as an attempt to get things going "just in case". But like pp said - it will only be effective if your body is ready to be in labour. Otherwise it's just cramps and discomfort and false hope. G-L!
  • I had it done last time at 41 weeks and went from 3cm to 5cm and into active labor 12 hours later.
  • I had it done at 39 weeks 6 days (4cm) and started contractions within 1 hour which was the time it took to drive from my doctor's office to home. We were back at the hospital within the next hour and I had my precious baby girl later that night (about 10 hours later). I don't think this was the norm at all as even my doctor was surprised with how quickly things progressed. 
  • Mine worked with my first. I got it done at my appt in the am and had her by the next morning at 6 am. I went into labor a little over 12 hours after I had it done. I plan to have it done again with this one at 39 weeks if I haven't already had my little one. 
    photo IMAG0561-002-Copy2-Copy_zps16abfae1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"