January 2013 Moms

Severe help needed!

This is going to be long. So DS is a little over 6 months. He was a great sleeper from the get go. He was sleeping 8:30 to 5 or 6 for months. Until we hit 4 months. He got a terrible cold along with the wakeful period and he never went back to sleeping through the night. I'm fine with getting up once to nurse, twice even if I felt he really needed it. But he's up every two hours some nights. I also work at night like 4 nights a week and he's become very stubborn about taking a bottle from my DH. Same bottles we've been using since the beginning. Even I'm trying to get him to take a bottle from me for his last feeding the nights I'm home and its a struggle for him to get down 5 oz. I really don't know what to do. I'm stinking exhausted. I almost feel like giving up nursing ( something we both love ) so that maybe he would sleep better. I just can't go on with no sleep every night. My older DS was such a different baby and I'm at a loss of what do ? Could hex really be hungry every two hours at night still? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
photo 8614cb38-d577-4c0f-bbe8-185495dd3bea_zpsd7fc2b80.jpg

Re: Severe help needed!

• Do you know how much he's eating during the day? Unless he's not nursing as much during the day I doubt he's actually hungry every 2 hours at night. DD forms a nasty habit of waking up if I attempt to feed her every time so I give her the pacifier and only offer to feed her once a night but sometimes twice if I know she was a lazy eater during the day. 

We did sort of Ferber with DD and it worked pretty well but we still have rough nights occasionally. I don't know that switching to formula would even help, some babies just wake a lot. I thought once we started solids DD would be great and start STTN but nope, she's just not a very great sleeper. She's been eating solids for just over a month and it changed nothing.
  • I wouldnt give up BF if you both enjoy it. I dont think it will make a difference. Is he eating solids? I agree with PP. I can see a baby waking up if they are hungry once a night but if it is every two hours that I think your LO has developed a sleep association. Maybe, you can try soothing him with feeding or sleep training.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would also say that is a sleep association he has developed.  I was in the same boat with DS.  He was a really good sleeper (horrible napper) until 4 months.  He'd wake maybe every 4-6 hours and sttn about 50% of the time.  

Then, the wakefuls started.  I was just feeding him each time he woke up because it would get him back to sleep  in minutes, but then the 1 to 2 times a night turned into 4 to 5, and I knew we needed to make a change.  

I didn't set out to use Ferber (I hate the idea of CIO), but one night, the nursing wasn't putting him back to sleep, and I was getting really frustrated, so I put him in his crib (he was crying at the time) went to the bathroom and got a drink in the kitchen (mostly to get myself a better attitude).  I was gone maybe 4 minutes total, and in that time, he went from crying, to fussing, to talking, to OUT COLD!  It was then that I realized, he really did need to learn to sooth himself, and I needed to take nursing out of the equation.  

Now, if he wakes at night (which does not happen very often anymore), I give him about 2 minutes to see if he's really awake, or just having a vocal dream.  If he's really awake, I go into his room, turn on his frog nightlight that projects stars on the ceiling and plays a heartbeat sound for about 20 minutes.  Sometimes that's enough to get him back to sleep.  Other times, I include patting and shushing him, and if he still can't calm down in 5 minutes, that I nurse him.  I haven't had to nurse in the motn for several days.  I haven't had to turn on his night light for 4 days.
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"