March 2012 Moms
Options

Bottles!!! STILL

I CANNOT get my daughter to drink milk out of her sippy STILL-though she will guzzle water out of one. She especially doesnt like the ones with the straws.

Any ideas? Also, any good transitional sippys, maybe one thats like a bottle?

Finally, how much milk is your LO drinking these days?
Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!

Re: Bottles!!! STILL

• Options
    What about trying an open cup?  DD drinks out of one at daycare in the toddler room.  The teacher's wise advice was to only fill it with as much liquid as you would be ok cleaning up ;)

DD loves straw sippys so that is pretty much all we have now.  Daycare used the take and toss ones and those worked well too.  The nice thing about them is they don't have the plug that makes it harder for the kiddos to drink from.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    eyenigheyenigh member
    edited July 2013
    Try the Nuk soft spouted sippy. The spout is very similar to a nipple and has a good vent so he can really guzzle if he wants! My son will drink out of anything but I like those the best because they're super easy to clean and he doesn't bang his teeth on a hard spout. Like PP mentioned, too, these also have no plug and it's really easy to drink from.

We use this one: https://www.amazon.com/NUK-Disney-Winnie-Ounces-Silicone/dp/B005A3OGR0/ref=pd_bxgy_ba_img_y
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    eyenigh said:

Try the Nuk soft spouted sippy. The spout is very similar to a nipple and has a good vent so he can really guzzle if he wants! My son will drink out of anything but I like those the best because they're super easy to clean and he doesn't bang his teeth on a hard spout. Like PP mentioned, too, these also have no plug and it's really easy to drink from.

We use this one: https://www.amazon.com/NUK-Disney-Winnie-Ounces-Silicone/dp/B005A3OGR0/ref=pd_bxgy_ba_img_y

Nuk cups are what we use. I think they are great to switch from the bottle from. I also had a problem with my dd not drinking milk from the cup. Her pediatrician suggested finding a cup that really caught her attention and use it only for milk until she was used to it. Not sure if it really worked or my dd just went along with the transition.

Only problem I have with Nuk cups is that the soft top breaks easily. My dd must bite the top or something because it feels like she is always needing a new one.

• Options
    I'm in the same boat as OP.  My DD still only has two teeth, so she doesn't eat many solids and she also has had weight gain issues.  The pediatrician agrees that the best source of nutrition for her right now is whole milk as she still drinks from a bottle and will do it quickly.  She drinks about 30oz a day, but not much food, maybe an egg, some cheese, edamame, just random snacks.  Sometimes she surprises us and goes to town on the solids though.  I just keep offering them to her.  I recently started putting whole milk in a sippy cup and I offer the same cup a few times a day.  Like a PP mentioned, I use a different kind of cup then she drinks water from.  The first time she spit it out but she is gradually drinking a little from it, though not nearly as much as she would drink from the bottle.  It would be much more convenient if she would drink her milk on her own out of a sippy cup or ate more solids but I know she'll get there in her own time.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you guys!! How much milk are they drinking?
    Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!
  • Options
    We're right around 18 ounces of milk a day most days. He's a picky eater so I try to limit his milk intake since he needs to eat more food. He LOVES yogurt and has at least 6 ounces a day so sometimes that replaces the milk. He drinks a lot of water during the day, too.

• Options
    No advice on cups since DS will drink his milk out of anything (seems to prefer his Zoli cups though). But he drinks between 12-18oz of milk a day. We offer him a cup at breakfast, lunch and dinner. He's just now able to ask for it though so I do give him sips between meals when we're at home and he asks for it.
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    takmjstakmjs member
    My daughter still drinks from a bottle for her morning and nighttime milk (whole milk), and I still hold the bottle (she's never really tried to hold it). When asked at her 18 month check-up with the pediatrician, I said about 12 ounces. The pediatrician said to make sure that we're giving her plenty of other calcium-rich foods/dairy, like yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, etc., because she should have more than 12 ounces (although she didn't say how much, and I didn't ask). If I didn't give it to her in a bottle, she would maybe drink 4 ounces of milk a day. We've tried it before, and she just won't drink it.

I started off doing separate cups for milk vs. juice vs. water, but she pretty much will only drink out of the straw sippy cups, so that makes things a little trickier. She isn't much of a big drinker in general, unless we've been outside on a hot day. 

She's bitten and broken 2 of the soft, silicone sippy cup tops, so I won't give her any more of those.

I keep offering the hard-top/tip-up sippy cups and the straw ones, and hope she gets better with the hard-top ones. She started the straw sippy cups at about 16 months.
  • Options
    DD drinks 8-12 oz of whole milk a day.. lots of cheese too. Sometimes yogurt.
  • Options
    I asked the pedi about this at our 1 year appt.  She told us that if babies know the bottle is coming they may hold out for it.  We went off the bottle cold turkey and she refused milk for about 1 day.  Then she was fine.  We don't keep track of how much she drinks.  We give a sippy of milk at each meal and a just make sure water is in her sippy and available to her all day.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"