High-Risk Pregnancy

Progesterone suppositories vs. P17 shots

I assume from what I've read as I'm lurking that the P in P17 shots stands for progesterone?, and people have mentioned taking it with their short cervix and/or funneling and/or cerclage. I had the suppositories last pregnancy starting at 24 weeks, I think, when I got to 1+ cm and started funneling. That's when I was put on bed rest. I delivered at 30 weeks. I have my pre-pregnancy consultation with my MFM in a couple weeks, but I'm just curious why some doctors do the suppositories and some do the shots. Is it just preference based on their research/experience? Or are suppositories given in certain cases, and P17 shots done in others?

Are the P17 shots done in their office, or do you have to administer them yourself (or DH) at home?

I know I'm getting a preventative cerclage next pregnancy around 13 weeks, so when do the P17 shots start and end (if my doctor does them next time around)?

I like to know what other people and their doctors have told them, so I can go in a little more informed when I see my MFM.
Thank you!

Re: Progesterone suppositories vs. P17 shots

• 17p shots are shown to be more effective. It's less your risk of pre-term by 60% My insurance covers a nurse to come every week to give me the shot. There are a few girls here who go to their dr and some have their DH give it to them at home. It's sort of hard to give it to yourself because of the location site. I think if my dr see my cervix continuing to shorten she will change me to suppositories because it goes directly to your cervix...
  • I asked my dr about this yesterday.  She prefers using the suppositories because it goes directly to your cervix.  I had asked because previously progesterone irritated my cervix / vagina.  She said the benefits outweighed the irritation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • takmjstakmjs member
    Where is the location site?
  • I was on injections last pregnancy beginning at 16 weeks until 36 weeks. This time around I am on suppositories - my MFM prefers suppositories over injections when pregnant with multiples.

I received the injections weekly, my insurance covered a nurse to come to my home. Personally, I prefer the suppositories because it was an inconvenience for me to meet the nurse - she wanted to the the same day and time each week (it doesn't have to be exactly one week in between injections) And a sore behind is no fun!
  • Injection site is the upper part if your butt..
  • I am on the P17 shots due to my son being born early.  However, he was born at 36 weeks, he's my little pretend preemie born at 6lbs9oz. 

My husband has given me shots each week at home.  I did not have issues with my cervix, it was really just preventative for the PTL, we're still trying to decide if they worked. ha.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was on suppositories (crinone 8percent) for a week and I found them to cause to much discharge. So they switched me to P17 shots weekly. They are given to me here at the hospital but you could take them at home. I am on HBR so everything is done for me. I have one doc who says shots are better and one who says suppositories are better. I think every doc has their own thoughts and practices on what they do. I think alot of your questions should be directed to your doc about your own individual case.
  • 17p shots are shown to be more effective. 
    Really? I had not heard of this. If you have articles/studies to share, please link. 
    OP, my doctor gives both shots and supps. But like kneenah, she did mention that if she notices the cervix to continue to shorten, she gives the supps.  
     Mama to Baby K. born @25wks due to pProm/PTL. Forever in Our Hearts. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • jlm538jlm538 member
    Suppositories are usually given if it safe for them to be inserted into the vagina. Once I dilated, had no cervical length and my water was bulging, my doctor switched me to the shots because the she thought that there was a chance the suppositories could pop my water. My fiance gives me the shots now that I'm not in the hospital. 
  • I'm a lurker here...but I do the injections. My first child was born at 33 weeks so I did the injections with my second child and she was full term. I am doing them again with this pregnancy. My DH gives them to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"