LGBT Parenting

I wish we could get married... :(

Argh just a quick vent. My partner and I have been engaged for so long and I really wish we could have gotten married before the birth of our LO in our home country. One day... Sorry to vent, are many of you married to your partners? Singles? Defacto??

Re: I wish we could get married... :(

• My wife and I were legally married in Massachusetts in 2007.  I agree that it is frustrating and unfair that not everybody can be!
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KH826KH826 member

My wife and I had a wedding in Pennsylvania where we live in August 2012, and then we were legally married in December 2012 in NYC. While we are legally married, it is not recognized in our state at this point. That is part of the reason that we waited so long to get married (we have been together for 9 years)... we did not feel an urgency to do it when it would not be recognized in our home state; however, when we started thinking about having a family, we changed our minds...

Where do you and your partner live?

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Loading the player...
  • We are in Australia, we considered going to New Zealand when it was legalized there but decided against as it won't be recognized in our country at all so we decided to wait. Just hoping that the wait isn't too long!!
  • I wish we were married, too :( I live in Indiana so it's unlikely we'll see a legalization anytime soon, but if the IRS decides it will recognize ALL gay marriages so long as they were legally solemnized in a state with marriage equality, then we'll probably hop over to Iowa and make it official.  Better to have just federal benefits, at least, even if we can't have state.

We've been together for 8 years, so it's really frustrating.  I was the MOH for my best friend's wedding recently and she told me she always thought I'd get married way before her.  Looked her in the eye and said "I'd have been married 5 years ago if it wasn't illegal."  That comment made me kind of peeved.  That and she insisted I join the boquet toss since I'm still "single."  What the hell?  I'm NOT single, and I haven't considered myself to be single in ages.  It sends a chill of anger up my spine every time I have to check "single" on a form anymore.

• On forms if it says "Are you married?" I check Yes, then write "but" and then check No and change it to "not legally". So I reads "Yes, but not legally." I am pretty sure I frustrate the HR department... But I am just trying to be as accurate as possible.
    If we can't be legally married, at least we can be witty about it.

Baby Hayden Frances born 12/20/14 at 11:11 a.m...  Our perfect little miracle.  Here's how we got here:

My lovely wife:

5 IUI's January 2013-June 2013- 3 Cycles with Clomid- BFN

Myself: Genderqueer guy who hopped in the driver's seat of the baby making train

IUI #6- 7/23- Monitored and Trigger on Day 12, with one 16mm follicle and one 18mm follicle- BFN

IUI #7- 8/21- Not monitored, 50mg Clomid- BFN

September and October: Missed Cycles due to vacation and a Half Marathon

IUI #8- Monitored and triggered on day 15, with one 23x18mm follicle- BFN on 11/19/2013

December:  Moved onto to see an RE to make a good plan.

IUI #9- 1/1/2014 Natural Cycle, BFP on 1/15/2014,  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

IUI #10 3/21/2014- Natural Cycle- BFP on 4/1/2014 (please don't be an April Fools.  Beta #1 13dpiui- 48, Beta #2 16dpiui- 416, Beta #3 1018...

1st Ultrasound- 4/22/2014- 6w4d HB- 134!

Check out my Blog at: http://pregnantboithinksoutloud.blogspot.com/ 

• Legally married in CT September 2009.

Married in September 2010, started TTC journey November 2012

Me-

7 IUI- 2 CP- 2 BFN

RPL blood work 12/27, showed a balance translocation in chromosome 11;22  

Spouse-

PCOS 4 IUI-4 BFN

New Plan: Reciprocal IVF, me as carrier wife's eggs. Just went through insurance and received partial approval, so my part will go through my IVF benefits and wife's part will be out of pocket. Now just finalizing finance plans to cover the oop costs. Doctors office is in process of moving to a new building so there are no IVF start ups until March/April 2015. 

• I live in a liberal town so they have forms that have a "partner" option.  I typically use that, but you can bet your hiney I'll start checking "married" as soon as we make it legal!  We don't owe anyone an explanation.

Anyone else on here get the "Are you sisters?" question?  DP and I get that - ALL THE TIME - and it drives me bonkers.  One of these days I'm gonna turn on the next old lady who asks (because they're usually 60+ who question our relationship) and say "No, we're lesbian lovers.  Oh, I'm sorry, did I just make you uncomfortable?"

And as soon as people start questioning our relationship relative to our children, be prepared for Mama Bear to rear her angry head.

• KH826KH826 member

We get the sisters question too, though I have no idea why. We do not look alike in my opinion.

It was worse before I lost weight... I think people saw too heavy young women with brown hair and brown eyes and thought - aww, sisters! LOL - I don't get it! So we get it less now b/c I think my features look different now that I am smaller. Although, people have also asked if my mother-in-law is my mom (and we don't look alike at all!). I just think they see interactions between people who seem like family and they like to make it fit into a category they are comfy with.

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Yeah, we're both heavy and caucasian but beyond that we look nothing alike. I have curly hair, blue eyes, and round features whereas DP has straight hair, brown eyes, and sharper features.  Our faces couldn't be any more different.  Strange how people want to fit us all in boxes.  I never question anyone's relationship to anyone else.  I know too many people who don't fit the "traditional" mold and frankly it's not really my business. 

Another thing I never do: ask when someone is due!  My bestie is slender but carries a pooch right below her belly button and people ask her when she's due all the time.  She's infertile :( and it makes her sad every time someone asks.  Unless the lady mentions her baby, I ask no questions!

• Amanda and I get asked if we are twins a lot. She just kisses me and then asks if they would do that to their twin. We wear our wedding rings and consider ourselves married even though it will never be legal in Indiana
  • Hey, Indiana!  Where abouts are you from, jspencer, if you don't mind me asking?
  • Indianapolis. What about you?
  • Bloomington :) glad to find another lesbian Bumper from Indiana!  I was beginning to think I was the only one. 
  • @herbabymama - it's not so bad, as long as you don't move out to the boonies.  It's the tiny towns in the country that are far less accepting of gays and lesbians than our bigger, more liberal enclaves.  However, if Indiana does pass a constiutional amendment in 2014 banning gay marriage, then I will be having a serious discussion with DP about moving somewhere else.
  • We are married, though not legally. We have discussed having a ceremony up north so that it is recognized federally, but haven't decided yet. I think it will be after we have a LO for tax purposes, as awful as that sounds. We wear rings, though not matching. She has a simple band with diamonds and I, well, don't... We have been asked if we are sisters a lot. We are around the same height and both have blonde hair...we both have a round facial structure. But our builds are nothing alike. I agree with PP that said they get it less now that I have lost some weight.
  • My DW and I got legally married September 2011, I can't believe we are getting ready to celebrate our 2 year anniversary!  We live in Ohio and right now there is a ban on SS marriage, but its going on the ballot November 2014 to allow SS marriage.  So let's keep our fingers crossed!!!!

When filling out forms I always put that I am married unless its a federal form or for taxes.  Everything else I say married.  When I started a new job a few months back they asked me if I was married and I look at my manager and said "why do you want to know?"  I just needed to know how to answer, he looked at me pretty funny at first.  Then I explained myself and our situation.
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• My wife and I have been legally married since June 2011.  But we are originally from Ontario, so we are in a different situation from most on this forum from what I've seen.  Not many Canadians here. But that doesn't matter since we are all here for the same reason.

We also get the sisters reaction a lot.  Don't see the resemblance, but like everyone else.. if you have the same hair colour people seem to assume.  
    I'm 35, DW is 33
    Together since Dec 2007
    Married since 18 June 2011

TTC #1
    1st IUI - trigger, 9 July 14 at midnight, IUI - 11 July 14 at noon - BFP!!
    10 Dec 14 - Lost our Baby Girl to Hydrops & Cycstic Hygroma due to Turner Syndrome
    TTC #2
    2nd IUI - hoping to try for our Rainbow in the Spring
  • My wife and I got legally married in New York June 2012! Unfortunately we live in Florida where it is not recognized.  BUT IDC, I do not like someone telling me I cannot be happy

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"