Working Moms
Options

Licensed vs non

After visiting both in home licensed facilities and several nonlicensed people, we decided to go with a highly recommended nonlicensed daycare provider. I plan on doing a background check on her and her husband and she will be getting CPR certified. Anything else I need to think about before we start?

Re: Licensed vs non

• Options
    I would ask why she opted to not be licensed. Is there any kind of oversight?
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Regardless of who you leave LO with I would make a few unannounced visits while LO is there just to make sure things are the way that they should be.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    To me part of the value in the licensing is that they get visited periodically and are marked for deficiencies. Although I will say licensing inspections (IMO) sometimes end up not focusing enough on the most important stuff, but instead just the easiest stuff to check. 

Since no one else is checking on her, keep your eyes wide open when you're there. Also, you will want to redo background checks periodically, at least annually, but maybe every 6 months. And mark down when their training "expires" and check up that they get retrained per course recommendations. 

Unannounced visits are good. 

Also, I would agree on some understanding of how many future kids you can expect her to add to her care. Licensing has caregiver - child ratios. She should at least maintain that (though in my state these ratios are redic. high, esp. for in home) if not exceed that.

\image  image

• Options
    This completely.
    I would want a cori/sori done on the entire house. In our daycare everyone who lives in the house has background checks.
    Random unannounced visits, check her ratio, make sure she is paying taxes and can provide you with a tax id for your own tax purposes.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Options

No, she's just a sweet lady who wants a grandchild fix since her own kids don't have children.
  • Options
    Good tips, thanks everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"