Natural Birth

39 weeks, advice?

Hello Ladies!  I am 39 weeks tomorrow and have just recently gone from the "I want every drug available" camp to "my goal is a natural birth" in just a few weeks.  I've done a decent amount of research, but I was wondering if any of you had some advice for what to do in the next week (or couple of weeks) and during birth.  I'm currently taking evening primrose oil, drinking raspberry leaf tea, walking and squatting.  This is my first baby so any advice would be greatly appreciated!  
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: 39 weeks, advice?

• 39 weeks right with you. Doing all these things, along with chiropractic work and acupuncture.
  • Honestly? I'm not doing anything too special. I squat a bit, but I have a 2 year old so that's inevitable. I'm not taking anything. I don't really believe in the supplement hype. I am seeing a Webster chiro in an effort to avoid a second posterior baby, but I've seen some pretty convincing stuff that says that position prior to labour isn't actually that important.

Rest, walk some, eat well, try to stay patient. "The Birth Partner" or "The Lamaze Handbook" are both good things to read if you're really starting to prepare this late in the game.
  • Loading the player...
  • My advice? Avoid pitocin. It makes contractions WAY more intense.
    DS #1 - 12/10/11

DS #2 - 4/2/14

• The biggest thing that I found helpful was to get my mind right.  During my pregnancy I told myself that contractions would be hard, they would be painful, and they would be intense.  However, my body was made to give birth and I could do it naturally.  Having this realistic expectation of labor made a huge difference.  I was not shocked when a contraction knocked the breathe out of me.  I was not shocked when I had horrible back labor.  I was not shocked when I labored for hours. I was prepared for it.  Other than that I stayed active during my pregnancy.  I walked a lot, did squats, pelvic tilts, and butterflies. I feel like all of this helped me during my labor.  You can do it. GL!
  • I tried to keep in mind that my body was designed for childbirth ad knew exactly what do even if I didn't. I tried to relax and work with my body. I knew labor was going to be painful but I also knew that it was a productive pain and with each contraction was moving me closer to my little girl. That alone kept my mind in a calmer state.

I also tried to move as much as I can through put labor. Water was also my greatest friend through out labor. I spent a majority of the time either in the shower or the tub with the whirlpool jets on. It was very relaxing.

Transition was the absolute worst and the one time I almost asked for meds but my MW talked me through it and next thing I knew it was time to push!
  • Great advice, everyone.  Thanks!  Today was my due date but I'm still waiting.  Hopefully it'll happen sometime this week so I can avoid being induced!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"