Adoption
Options

Book recs/advice needed

Hi ladies, I have not posted here in quite a while, finding myself in a rough patch lately. I know this board to be kind, informative and encouraging:) My dh & I are foster parents, hoping to become adoptive parents in the future. Our first placement was around Thanksgiving and we have been over the moon with him. His situation is not a "typical" foster child case and the hearing for tpr is early September. Hoping & praying that is not delayed and goes through without a hitch. Many days I have felt complete with just the one little guy. I got a phone call a few weeks ago about another placement. I felt immediately like we were meant to take these kids; siblings age 16 & 6. So here we are a couple weeks in to being a family of 5. Overall I feel were are doing ok...this post is mainly focused on some difficulty I am having with the 6 year old girl. She is behind in school (repeating kindergarten this year), excessively needy, throws little tantrums when she doesn't get her way immediately, pretty much refuses to do anything without direct supervision, repeats questions. "forgets" my answer to her questions, is freakishly hung up on "that's mine, the baby can't see, touch it or breath on it"...but she snatches things from him constantly. I realize some of this is typical 6 year old behavior and a good part is also due to the circumstances of her young life. I want to be best parent I can to her, but I find myself constantly on the verge of loosing my mind! She is significantly more needy than the 20 month old. So in a nutshell I am looking for advice or book recs on how to be a be a "good" mom and approach these behaviors in the most productive positive way possible. I am hoping that once school starts and we get involved in more activities, some of this will subside. Thanks so much for letting me ramble, just feels good to get it off my chest!

Foster to adopt process started 8/2012:)

Re: Book recs/advice needed

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"