Attachment Parenting

Bedrail on single bed. Safe for 18mth old?

We've transitioned DD2 into her own bed. She sleeps in there for naps and most of the night, although she wakes around 2am and generally I just go and get into bed with her.

We have a bed rail to stop her rolling out, but I'm starting to get paranoid about her possibly climbing over it and falling and hurting herself. 

Would it be better to get rid of it, and maybe just put something under her sheet to stop her rolling, or maybe put her cot mattress beside her bed, so that if she rolls she'll be ok. 

Thoughts?
Thanks
Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

Re: Bedrail on single bed. Safe for 18mth old?

• We have a bedrail on our bed that we got for DS around 18 months. He's never tried to climb over it...he just goes around.

I'd take some extra time to teach her how to climb down safely, and I'd keep it so that she sleeps safely too!
    imageimage
  • I would just teach her how to get in and out safely.  Unless she's in a super high bed over a concrete floor or something, I wouldn't worry about it.  My kids never tried to climb over the bedrail but just went out the bottom of the bed.
  • Loading the player...
  • DD2 has never climbed over her rail and she transitioned to a tall twin bed at 18mo.  She has little stairs w/ 3 steps by her head to climb down and DD2 at 12mo was good about climbing the stairs to get into the bed to play.  It probably depends on how daring your kid is while playing whether they will play and throw them selves over, but that can happen with your couch : /
    5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"