Pregnant after 35
Options

Caffeine

Before my pregnancy I loved caffeine, coffee and diet coke. Now I've limited my caffeine consumption to one diet coke a day. What do you eat (thats safe for pregnant women) to get the caffeine jolt?

Re: Caffeine

• Options
    I usually drink 2-3 cups of coffee every morning, but now I've cut back to just one. I would say not to eat anything that's got more caffeine in it... but try chocolate, from what I've heard it has a minimal amount of caffeine, but maybe not that jolt you're looking for. 
  • Options
    I've made the switch to raspberry flavored tea since the smell if coffee makes me ill. But it's robably not the jolt you're looking for, either.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've made the switch to raspberry flavored tea since the smell if coffee makes me ill. But it's robably not the jolt you're looking for, either.
    *probably

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Options
    I've read that you can have up to 200 mg of caffeine per day, so I think you're safe!  I cut down to one cup of coffee per day.  I'm going to try to reduce it even more, but it's easier said than done!  Good luck!

BabyFruit TickerAnniversary

• Options
    I read that you shouldn't drink diet sodas because of the artificial sweeteners. I bought caffeine-free Coke since I love the taste, and don't really care about the caffeine :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm on mobile so I can't see your siggy, don't know your history or age...but my RE very much without hesitation told me NO CAFFEINE. Not just because of my history of loss but because of my age. I'm 40. He told me he advises all patients 38 plus or with fertility issues to avoid it completely. I honestly get my energy from making sure I eat right. Lots of good veggies and getting enough protein helps me a lot. And I do miss my coffee very much, but I know I don't "need" it!
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Options
    I read that you shouldn't drink diet sodas because of the artificial sweeteners. I bought caffeine-free Coke since I love the taste, and don't really care about the caffeine :)
    In moderation (up to 2 cans per day), Diet Coke is fine. It contains aspartame, which is one of the "acceptable artificial sweeteners" that you can have while pregnant. It's the saccharin that's evil...but I don't even know a drink with saccharin in it anymore. And if I couldn't have caffeine, I'd have stabbed someone by now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     BFP #1: 3.2.13 | EDD: 10.21.13 | Born: 10.25.13
     BFP #2: 9.9.14 | EDD 5.13.15 | MC: 9.24.14
    BFP #3: 1.4.15 | EDD 8.23.15
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Apples are supposed to give you a good energy boost. I have been using an apple instead of my afternoon diet dr pepper. Hoping I can stick to this post pregnancy. Here's a quote from an article:

The benefits of waking up with an apple far exceed any benefit from coffee. Fructose, a natural sugar found in apples will provide the energy boost. An apple contains approximately 20 carbohydrates, which are used for fuel by the body.Apples also provide staying power! The high fiber content found in an apple cause the natural sugar to be absorbed more slowly into the system, avoiding the let .

down feeling that so common after the initial energy buzz of coffee has worn off.
  • Options
    I cut back completely at first and was miserably constipated (sorry TMI). And I work nights so that was not working. So I went back to one cup a day. All better now! And I have a caffeine-free coke when I get the urge for something bubbly.
    Rylee Jane 9/8/07 After 2 years TTC
    Reagan Lynn 2/23/12 After 3 years TTC & 6 mos 150mg Clomid
    TTC #3 Since 4/2012
    m/c 1/2013 at 5 weeks
    m/c 8/2013 at 5 weeks
  • Options
    I really cut back on my caffeine during the first trimester because of fertility issues. I drink 1/2 caf coffee in the morning. Sometimes I will have a diet coke here and there or chocolate.  I started drinking more during my second trimester because I was actually more tired.  I drank some before my ultrasound to make sure we could see if the baby was a boy or a girl. Poor little girl, she was jumping around all over the place. I realize babies do that anyway, but it made me feel so bad, I just switched to caffeine free coke zero.
    Me:37 DH:40 Married 7/2009 TTC since 5/2012 
    BFP 4/2013, Our Christmas Miracle Due 12/18/2013
  • Options
    ranaverderanaverde member
    edited August 2013
    I avoided it entirely during the first trimester (worries about miscarriage and my usual morning tea also just didn't taste good any more).  Now I will drink a cup of tea in the morning, and a bit of coffee in the evening (it helps me with regularity issues), and sometimes hot cocoa.  I notice that the baby sometimes gets lively after the evening coffee, but she also gets lively when I'm trying to sleep, when the Doppler hits her, when I'm surfing the net... so I don't know how much to worry about that. 

Iris born Halloween 2013! 6 lbs, 1 oz, 18 inches long

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    March 24bimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"