Blended Families
Options

School dress code ?

Does your public school allow rain boots? A friend that is a Catholic school teacher who has subbed at public school and also worked at a pre-K freaked when I said I was buying DS Hunter boots and went on and on about how the school will not allow him to change his shoes at school which confused me because I would not expect that. DS wore boots to half day Kindergarten last year and to his old preschool. He loves rain boots. She is insisting that they fall under danger footwear and that they are too slippery which I argue that his slip on sneakers have way less traction. Thoughts? And of course I know he needs sneakers for gym class.
Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: School dress code ?

• Options
    I can see it being an issue. Because kids are forgetful and lose things and parents get pissed and blame the staff who don't want to be responsible for 20 kids who want to change their shoes.
  • Options
    I probably did not write it clear but I would not send a change of shoes, he has no issue wearing rain boots all day. He loves his rainboots and if the weather calls for rain he likes to be prepared. Then again the school let him bring an umbrella last year and he would walk two friends to te bus with him.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pretty much the only banned footwear at the schools here are flip flops and steel toe boots.
    DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• Options
    When I was in Catholic school you could not wear them but that was a long time ago. My SD`s school is specific about shoes as well.
    No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• Options
    Cole, I would expect it for a Catholic school because they have uniforms and strict rules for what shoes should look like.
  • Options
    At DS school they can wear boots (we live in Maine and have a very muddy fall/spring) but you bring sneakers to keep for when you are inside. The main reason being tracking in mud/snow/water onto the floor can be hazardous. 
  • Options

At DS school they can wear boots (we live in Maine and have a very muddy fall/spring) but you bring sneakers to keep for when you are inside. The main reason being tracking in mud/snow/water onto the floor can be hazardous. 

I understand that as a policy if you are encouraging the kids to all change their shoes out if the boots so that no ones shoes are wet. I just don't get why a teacher would care if a student wore boots versus any other shoes if they are not having Gym or going outside on the playground. And I can tell you my DS will be pissed if he has to wait at the bus stop in sneakers when it is raining because his feet will get wet. Besides, I am buying him glow in the dark rainboots, who would not want to wear those, lol.
  • Options
    DS's school forbids only flip flops. He's worn rain boots to school several times.
    my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I think that rainboots or snowboots can become subjective...therefore it is easier to ban them all. 

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43134?feat=503578-GN3&page=kids-l-l-bean-boots&attrValue_0=Brown&productId=725401

The bottom of these boots are GREAT in the snow and on concrete.  But on slick wet tile?  

But Wellies, which do not do well in snow, work better on wet tile. 

So now you have to not only fight having parents fight YOU over the definition of snow gear (LL Bean make wellie inserts for snow?!) but have to deal with kids coming exchanging their shoes blah blah blah...

Do I think it is right?  Not in certain locals.  But I can also see the logistical and financial nightmare for the school 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    Ilumine said:
    I think that rainboots or snowboots can become subjective...therefore it is easier to ban them all. 

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43134?feat=503578-GN3&page=kids-l-l-bean-boots&attrValue_0=Brown&productId=725401

The bottom of these boots are GREAT in the snow and on concrete.  But on slick wet tile?  

But Wellies, which do not do well in snow, work better on wet tile. 

So now you have to not only fight having parents fight YOU over the definition of snow gear (LL Bean make wellie inserts for snow?!) but have to deal with kids coming exchanging their shoes blah blah blah...

Do I think it is right?  Not in certain locals.  But I can also see the logistical and financial nightmare for the school 

I agree, wet rain boots and wet tile, not a good combination. I think it`s easier for the school just to ban them all together. Public schools here wear uniforms so they have guidelines for shoes as well.
    No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• Options
    I would KILL for a public school uniform.  
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    Can he wear them on the gym floor? That might be another reason.
  • Options
    Littlejen22Littlejen22 member
    edited July 2013
    If the school banned boots I would totally follow it. I just think it is insane for a teacher to say they would call the parents if your kid is wearing rain boots because they are dangerous when there is no policy against boot. And the real reason she thinks they are dangerous is because she is so clumsy that she said she has fallen in school before, first I doubt that was wearing rain boots and also my kid is not clumsy.

ETA: I should add that during this conversation she also said that people that don't want full day Kindergarten or school uniforms are idiots. So really the whole conversation pissed me off.
  • Options

I much prefer uniforms.  I am super nervous about how incredibly vague the shoe policy is here.  It literally says "Shoes must be worn at all times".  So can they wear flip flops?  Sandals? Rain boots?  Hard soled boots?  These were all prohibited at preschool and private schools our family has attended, some for safety reasons.  What do the other kids wear?  Which shoes are actually unsafe? 

My saving grace is....the school is 6 houses away and I work from home.  If there is a fashion emergency I can drop a replacement off when needed. 

I would call the school to ask about rain boots before purchasing them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"