August 2011 Moms
Options

Time Outs

Talk to me about time outs.  I think we need to start trying them with DD1. I gave her an impromptu time out earlier (partly because she was misbehaving, and partly because I needed a time out from her!), but I think I need to implement some consistency to make them effective.

1.  Where is your designated timeout spot?  Do you have a separate spot for upstairs and downstairs time outs?

2.  What is your time out duration?  And how do you make LO stay in the time out spot?

3.  Any tips or tricks to share?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Time Outs

• Options
    P usually gets a time out for being mean (hitting, biting, or yelling at me), or for flat out misbehaving. Sometimes she will sit there and pour out her milk from her cup, throw things off a shelf, or just not listening. 

Time outs are usually in the hall. I can see her from the couch, and she cannot see her toys or tv. 

If shes being a meanie, she gets a full minute. If its for making a mess, she gets for as long as it takes me to clean it up. 

Time outs happen almost daily :/ It is a good punishment for her though. Just enough to slightly bother her feelings, but she gets of it super fast. 
    image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We don't have a designated timeout spot. I just make her sit on the floor and make sure there's nothing within her reach.

Or if she's throwing a tantrum at the dinner table, I put her in her crib until she calms down.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have a spot I usually put him in, but only because it's close to where he usually gets in trouble (for messing with the computer). He then proceeds to throw a huge crying fit and I have to sit there with him so he won't crawl/walk away. I ask him why he's in time out then tell him, and then I repeat the rule I want him to follow ("don't touch the computer"). I've done a few others, but I can't remember what prompted them. They haven't improved the behavior (touching the computer) whatsoever, but it at least keeps me from getting upset that he's disobeying again. We don't have anywhere else to put the computer, so I have to deal with it.

I try to do about a minute.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks, ladies, this is very helpful.

@Kimbus22
    Your comment about the crib is what sparked my questions.  I had put DD in her room and shut the gate, and I was worried about making a negative association with her bedroom.  We have just started getting her to STTN in her twin bed, and I don't want to ruin that by making her room a "bad" place.  Glad to hear that it wasn't a problem for you to utilize the crib for confinement :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Logan has time-outs in his bedroom on his bed. About 2-3mins. Sometimes I have used the high chair.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"