Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

How many ounces to feed

My little guy is 4 weeks old and I am now feeding him 3.5 ounces every 3-4 hours. Just recently he is not making it 4 hours in between feeding at night like he used to. Could he be hungry?

Re: How many ounces to feed

• Options
    Could be.  Does he drain the 3.5 ounces with ease and not fight you on finishing the last little bit?  That and decreasing the time between feedings often means it's time to increase.  Just bump it a half an ounce for now and see if he drinks that down and then you'll know for sure.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    I posted something similar to this....my little guy is 4 weeks tomorrow and 2 days ago, just went up to 4 oz, but I think he's going through a growth spurt, bc he's barely making it 3 hrs with that. Bump him to 4 and if he's not spitting up or being able to make it more like 3-4 hrs, there ya go :) Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    He spits up an hour or two later though so I'm wondering if its too much food
  • Options
    I'd reduce the time in between feelings instead of upping the ounces per feeding. See if that does the trick. My 11 month old doesnt go 3-4 hours without eating. That's a long time with such a tiny stomach.
  • Options
    And I assume you are bottle feeding, so just up the bottle to an extra ounce and if he eats it without spitting it all up then you know to start with that amount in the bottle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"