Multiples

Choosing to try vaginal Vs. c section

Wishing35Wishing35 member
edited July 2013 in Multiples
I'm 34 weeks and baby b is breech, the doctor said next week if she still is we would need to discuss my options. They are willing to try vaginal as long as baby a is still head down or I can go for a scheduled c section, either way they will not let me go past 38 weeks.
I'm a FTM and really don't want to have the first baby vaginal
Only to have the second by c section. If the baby does not turn how does the dr go about flipping it, and what are the chances of them being successful? I'm starting to really stress out about this!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Choosing to try vaginal Vs. c section

• Obviously each situation is different. With my triplets, baby a was head down, so was b, but c was breech. I went into labor at 36.6 and the doctor on call was willing to let me do a vaginal delivery. Both B and C had to be pulled out...I think both b and c were feet first. (They were not my first delivery though)

It really depends on the doctor and what they're comfortable with. I did have an epidural in case of an emergency, but it was minimal. If it were me...if the doctor was confident in a breech delivery, without a c-section, I would be comfortably delivering vaginally.
    Wife. MoM {1G + BBG triplets}. DIY'er. Quilter. 

• My doctor said if A was head down and B was breech I could have a vaginal delivery. At 35 weeks A flipped head down so the csection was cancelled. My doctor said that if B didn't flip on his own she would do a breech extraction which is where she grabs the feet and pulls baby out. I have read other posters whose doctor's did an external version. I ended up with a csection due to other circumstances. Good luck!
    ~TTC since July 2010~
    CD3 Bloodwork:Normal 
    HSG-Clear 
    SA:Low Morph 
    IVF with ICSI #1: ER 12/16 (4 ER/3 Mature/0 Fertilized) 
    IVF with ICSI #2: ER 5/17 (4 ER/4 Mature/3 Fertilized)/ET 5/20 (2 embryos transferred)-BFN 
    IVF with PICSI #3: ER 9/8 (11 ER/8 Mature/7 Fertilized)/ET 9/13 (2 AA blastocysts transferred) 
    Beta#1, 9/26/12: 719 Beta#2, 9/28/12: 1,436 Beta#3, 10/1/12: 3,446
    1st u/s on 10/10/12: It's Twins! We found out on 12/16/12 that we were having two BOYS!
    C & D were born on 5/16/13 at 10:46 am and 10:47 am

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • My baby B was breech for the last 7 weeks and would not move from the position/location she was in. My doctor was about 99% sure she could turn her topically on my belly. So the plan was to deliver vaginally. I was induced at 38 weeks, 3 days. I delivered baby A and when she tried to turn baby B (on my belly and she even tried internally), she just couldn't do it. She profusely apologized and went on with the C-section. Turns out, the umbilical cord was wrapped around my little Hannah's neck twice. Thats why she would never ever move! So, I had the double whammy...and it was pretty awfull. The vaginal recovery wasn't fun, by any means...but the C-section recovery was the worst. Not trying to freak you out, but you do have to think about all the possiblities. Hannah wouldn't have made it, had I pushed. I know both ways and am thankful for modern medicine. I truly hope your baby turns and you don't have to worry about the "double whammy". But if you do end up delivering both ways, Its no cakewalk, but its manageable. People are amazed when I tell them that I delivered that way.
  • We are choosing to do a c-section due to our baby B being breech. I feel ok with the decision and want what is best and safest for the babies. Good luck with your decision!
  • I delivered baby a vaginally. Baby b flipped after she was out and was in perfect position other than having his arm above his head. When he finally put it down, the doctor broke his water and he had a cord prolapse. That's when I had an emergency c section.
  • My baby A was head down, locked and loaded. But baby B was transverse, and super high in my ribs. I really, really wanted a vag delivery but you can't push a baby out if they are laying sideways. My ob said it was my decision but her opinion was that I'd probably end up a double whammy to get baby b out. I just wanted my babies, so I did c sec. It turned out baby A had cord around neck and once she was delivered baby b went breech. I was happy I chose c sec then. Yes, recovery was way worst then vag, but i also had complications. So, who knows? if it had gone smoothly, it might have been better. I had a pp hemorage. I did that with a singleton vag delivery also. Had nothing to do with c sec.
    You have to just really follow instincts on what's best for you and your babies. And trust your ob. Good luck!
  • At one point in my pg, my MFM told me that 9 times out of 10, if A is delivered vaginally, so will B. I'm comfortable with those odds.

However, it wasn't even a discussion for me. A was breech since 20w and was so wedged down in there I don't think he would have ever flipped. Turns out when my water broke at 34w, A's cord prolapsed and it was an immediate c/s under general, zero discussion.

Everyone is different, but my c/s recovery was a million times worse than my vag delivery recovery w my singleton. I never want to experience that ever again. It was awful. Maybe it was bc I was put under, idk, but never ever again.

• My Baby A was vertex and ready to go, but Baby B was flipping all over the place. My OB practice was not okay with breech extractions. We opted for a c/s due to me having a very narrow pelvic canal (their heads were measuring two weeks ahead thanks to DH's genes), IUGR in both babies, and Baby B's position. In the end, Baby B ended up sliding right into place when they pulled Baby A out. However, I have mixed feelings about not asking to try a vaginal delivery. My c/s itself was a total breeze and a great experience. However, I underestimated the difficulty of the recovery and I am now suffering from suspected adhesions and pain related to the surgery.

In all honesty, we probably would have ended up with a c/s anyway. But, I think I may have found comfort in knowing I tried. It's a very personal decision and each choice has some very definite pros and cons. Best of luck to you in making the choice!

TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• My water broke at 34 weeks, I'd known we'd be doing c/s ahead of time because both babies were transverse. I was totally bummed about this & had to hear all about how I should do a vag birth from all sorts of folks who didn't understand--it was hard, but I had time to come to peace with it.
    We delivered w/ in 3 hours of the water breaking, i had some nausea afterwards which sucked but it was tolerable. Otherwise, the recovery was totally do-able for me, it was a lot better than I ever could've imagined, even though I had to keep trekking back & forth between the NICU & my hospital room. I think not having done much labor & having been mentally prepared made my c/s a positive experience, both physically & mentally.
    Good luck!! I wish you & your babies the very best!
  • Thanks everyone for sharing your experience's. Im hoping B will flip and surprise me so I won't have to make the choice! I feel like my dr is not comfortable with a breech extraction and its making me lean towards a c section, I still have time and I guess you never know I may need one for other reasons as well.
  • MrsLee04 said:
    I had a c/s because Baby A was breech, but I definitely wouldn't have had one if it wasn't medically necessary.  While my c/s went well and I didn't have complications, it was rough healing from major surgery + taking care of 2 babies.  I wouldn't have chosen the c/s if I had had the choice!
    Ditto this plus add a 4.5 year old into the mix.

Good luck!
                                                 Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • even if they are both head down, a csection could be necessary if B goes in to distress. 

I'd discuss it with your doctor(s) and see how they flip the babies. for me, my office does it with hands, not forceps. If they cannot flip they will attempt breech extraction depending on baby size...

You need to know what they plan on doing and ask them in your particular situation how likely it is that B will need a csection.
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • I've had two vaginal deliveries with my singletons and I would prefer to go vaginally, if possible. Unfortunately, I am with a MFM's office for all my prenatal care. I don't get to meet or talk to any of the doctors that deliver at the hospital! I am really struggling with this. It means that if Baby A is head down, it'll depend on the doctor working that day/night if they feel comfortable attempting a vaginal birth. I will try vaginal if I am allowed, but I have already delivered two babies so there is no risk of extra damage or pain.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Both my girls were head down, but I was also worried about Baby B flipping after A was delivered. She didn't and I had a successful vaginal delivery. My doc was also comfortable performing a breech extraction if necessary, but only if I had an epidural. I labored for 9 hrs prior to getting an epi. Go with your gut - c/s or vaginal, you get to meet your kiddos soon!
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm going to try for a vaginal, thanks for all the advice ladies!
  • what kind of twins....mine are mo Di and my Dr feels more comfortable doing a c section.  Im going with what he says bc if he isn't comfortable doing vaginal it could unfortunately mean theres room for error if something comes up.  I basically am just following his lead:)
    After three miscarriages and one ectopic pregnancy we are currently pursuing adoption. " Born not from our flesh, but born in our heart. You were longed for and wanted and loved from the start."
  • This is my second pregnancy, 35 wks, and both kiddos are head down. We are still going ahead with a c-section. With my DS I made it all the way to the end, I started to push, and ended up needing an emergency c-section after some major complications. I know everyone is different, but I didn't think the recovery after my c-section was bad at all. I did everything i needed to do to take care of my baby. I didn't know any better. Just make a plan and just be prepared for things to change if they have to. Congrats on a uneventful pregnancy!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"