Multiples

overweight and pregnant with twins?

any overweight women on here pregnant with twins, or who were overweight whent hey were pregnant?

i've always been fearful that i'd be pushed into having a c section because of my size. or that i'd get a doctor who doesn't listen to me. i don't know if my doctor made me schedule a c section yesterday because of my size and it'd be easier for her, or what her thoughts were. she asked me if i want to try vaginally (baby a is head down) i told her absolutely. she then said she didn't understand why. so then she said we needed to get on the books anyway, so i just let her do it, but didn't consent and told her that i don't want one.

anyway, she has praised me for not gaining too much, for how much i've lost prior to pregnancy (i lost over 150lbs in a year and a half by myself), and i've now gained 30 back. she doesn't mention my weight, but when i've asked about induction methods and other things, she's said we need to talk about that when the time comes, instead of answering my questions or addressing my concerns. the problem is is that i don't hate her. BUT i really feel like she isn't listening to me. she had a c section with her child.. and she says it's easier. she said that my risk is higher because of my twin pregnancy. i get that, but at the beginning she also told me we could try vaginally as long as baby a is head down. :( 

so i'm just wondering, if my fear is real.. or if i'm crazy. anyone overweight and feel like their doctor pushed a c section because of that? if there weren't any other significant medical issues that would force a c section for twins?

i appreciate your advice/support on this issue. i'm feeling really lost and wondering if i should still try to find a new ob who understands and is willing to listen to me and do everything she/he can for me to have the delivery i want, if it's possible.
BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!

Re: overweight and pregnant with twins?

• i am overweight, but i don't think my doctor pushed me to do a section because of my weight. both girls were head down, and i suppose i could have tried vaginally, but i just wasn't comfortable with that due to other circumstances. my girls were born at 35w6d. 10 days before my scheduled c-section. i ended up with an emergency one due to pre-eclampsia. i would not have wanted to labor with my bp so high, i just wasn't feeling that great because of it and i really can't afford to have another seizure. i had one at 12 months old, and it triggered a stroke. so i think another seizure would have been devastating. i don't think either recovery is easier. it just depends on your individual circumstances. i think the first few days after a c-section probably suck worse, but after that....
    i have a friend who is very overweight and she was told she was too high risk to deliver vaginally due to her weight. she had a singleton. i think doctors want to control as many things as they can. their goal is to deliver your babies safely and to go you through it safely. but you know your health best and can do the research. if you feel strongly about attempting vaginal birth, go for it.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• I was a size 16/18 pre-pregnancy and a 16 post-pregnancy. I had a vaginal deliver with our oldest son and my OB would have had absolutely no problem with me trying for a vaginal delivery if both babies were head down. As it was, our Baby A sat herself down early on (by 23 weeks at the latest) and stayed there through the end of the pregnancy. I've had both types of deliveries and, for me, the vaginal delivery was leaps and bounds easier. I was easily able to walk on my own with very little pain the next day, I didn't have any swelling in the feet and legs like with the c-section (lasted 2.5 weeks), I felt like myself again and was back in pre-pregnancy clothes within a few days.

I would definitely suggest voicing your wishes and concerns again at the next appointment. She cannot force you to have a c-section. She can schedule it and "get it on the books" but you don't have to show up for it. When you are eventually admitted, carefully read the consent forms to make sure that it isn't consent for an automatic c-section, put a single line through each thing that you don't like or agree to and initial it before signing at the bottom.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.
                                                 Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • Loading the player...
  • I know a lot of drs push a c sec, esp for multiples. I don't think she's pushing it due to weight, but it does sound like she may be pushing it. I know it's hard to tell a dr you disagree with them (or question anything) but I would here. I would flat out ask her and say you thought you were aiming for a vaginal delivery but feel like she's pushing you to get a c section. You could even soften it with "I'm sure this is just pregnancy hormones but I really feel like I don't have a choice."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I have been overweight most of my life. I had lost 60 pounds prior to getting pregnant with my twin boys. My OB never pushed a csection because of weight. She preferred going for a vaginal delivery since baby A was head down and I didn't have any complications during pregnancy to warrant a csection. However, I did end up having a csection because baby A's head was too big and he was sunny side up. Good luck and I hope your doctor starts listening.
    ~TTC since July 2010~
    CD3 Bloodwork:Normal 
    HSG-Clear 
    SA:Low Morph 
    IVF with ICSI #1: ER 12/16 (4 ER/3 Mature/0 Fertilized) 
    IVF with ICSI #2: ER 5/17 (4 ER/4 Mature/3 Fertilized)/ET 5/20 (2 embryos transferred)-BFN 
    IVF with PICSI #3: ER 9/8 (11 ER/8 Mature/7 Fertilized)/ET 9/13 (2 AA blastocysts transferred) 
    Beta#1, 9/26/12: 719 Beta#2, 9/28/12: 1,436 Beta#3, 10/1/12: 3,446
    1st u/s on 10/10/12: It's Twins! We found out on 12/16/12 that we were having two BOYS!
    C & D were born on 5/16/13 at 10:46 am and 10:47 am

imageimage
  • I am a heavy woman pregnant with twins too. My doctor has said I can try vaginally, but has made it clear that there are more risks with twins when delivering vaginally. He would rather do a c section (and we just scheduled it) but said we can see their position and potentially induce that day. I am 100% sure the c section is not because of my weight.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hol84Hol84 member
    I am overweight and expecting twins. I had a singleton and tried vaginally but after pushing for three hours ended up with a c section. However, they have already told me I can try vaginally if babies are in the correct positions and everyone is healthy. I am not sure what I will decide at this point but I feel if you feel strongly about a natural birth and everyone is healthy there is no reason why you shouldn't at least be given the option. Best of luck to you!
  • I had a c-section with my older son two years ago for a handful of reasons, and while my weight was one factor, the consistently large measurements of my baby and my mother's history of large babies and her failure to dilate during labor were also taken into account. My son ended up being a massive 10 pounder at 39w2d and I hadn't had so much as a single contraction - if we'd let him go until I went into labor naturally I have no idea how massive he would have been and I likely would have had to have to c-section anyway. Fast-forward two years, and I was about 370lbs when I went in to deliver my twins via c-section at 37w3d, and my babies were 7lbs12oz and 7lbs2oz, both breech. There was no question that I'd be going in for a repeat c-section. FWIW, both times my recovery was very smooth and easy, even at my size, but I believe that is partly because they were scheduled and my body wasn't already spent from many hours of labor beforehand.

Grant - 6/2/11
    Glenn and Caroline - 6/19/13

• I am overweight but I don't feel like my OB pushed me. I had a vaginal delivery with my son but my Baby A was breech. I was actually more nervous of a c-section with my size because of how she described they would have to tape me up and incision care. I would bring it up and soften it like you said.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • edited July 2013
    I am overweight (5'8" and 225/size 16-18 pre-pregnancy, 215 now PP) and I was never made to feel bad or ashamed about my weight. I had a c/s for my previous delivery so I wasn't pushed into anything there. I had an endo during my singleton pregnancy who told me I was "so morbidly obese that I shouldn't gain ANY weight during my pregnancy". I told my OB about it and she told me she was an idiot. She said for me she recommended gaining slightly less; 15-25 instead of 25-35 with my singleton; I gained 28. This time with multiples she gave me no weight limit, and said nothing about my weight. I gained 15.

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

• MrsLee04 said:
    Honestly, any OB that says a c-section is easier is irresponsible and shouldn't be allowed to be an OB. 

I agree with this. Is there another OB in the practice that you can switch to? If not, I'd honestly think about switching practices. I was a size 16/18 pre-pregnancy. I had a c-section due to their position and high BP but my OB and MFM both said if they flipped I would be having a vaginal birth. They didn't even make it seem like a c-section was an option (though I had also told them I wanted a vaginal birth). Do you see an MFM in addition to your OB? If so, can you ask them for their opinion?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"