Parenting after a Loss
Options

EBFers come in please!

So, talk to me about the around the clock nursing.. When does it start to get better? Every second DS2 is awake he demands the boob.. Sometimes he will nurse every single hour..other times he cluster feeds and within minutes of putting him down he's back rooting for boob.. Is this normal? I feel like I do nothing but nurse him! I tried using a pacifier, but he just keeps spitting it out! Also.. Clogged ducts..I've had one in each breast and I've not even hit the two week mark! What gives?? Are they that common or am I doing something wrong? Both clogs have been back almost where my armpit begins... DS1 was formula fed, but never ate like this!! I feel so lost despite having just done this last year!!
Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog about raising 2U2!

Re: EBFers come in please!

• Options
    Ditto PPs! It does get better :) As for the clogged ducts, I had one several weeks ago and it helped to have her chin pointed in the direction of the clog. So you can try the football hold and that should help since its near your armpit.

TTC #1 since 5/2010 dx: annovulatory 

RLP: 2/2012: normal HSG 3/2012: normal

BFP #1 7/20/11 M/C 7/25/11. BFP #2 11/29/11 M/C 12/21/11

I have two angel babies that I will see again one day

BFP #3 10/27/12 EDD: 7/6/13

Baby Emma arrived at 35 weeks by surprise on June 3rd, 2013!!

BFP #4: 5/23/14 EDD: 1/30/15  Emma's gonna be a big sister!

Beta #1 19DPO: 213 Beta #2 21DPO: 674

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies... I'm exhausted!! Like PP said, he will nurse anywhere from 15 minutes - 45 minutes, but then nurse every hour so it's only like a 15 minute break at times!! I actually even contemplated switching to formula because the constant demand is .. Well. Constant!!! DH goes back to work in a week and a half.. There is no way I can do this constant nursing and be a Mom to my DS1... I'm hoping it regulates some by then...
    Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It is very normal and they cluster feed at times.  According to my app where I time the length of nursing sessions, DD was doing 3.5 to 4 hours a day's worth of nursing at 2 weeks.  Now, we are down to about one hour.  It gets better.  Just rent some videos and park yourself in that chair.  Also when your LO is nursing, massage the breast where you think you may have clogged ducts. Hope it helps!
    DS born 2009
    BFP#2 ~ 8/2/11, EDD 4/11/12, D&C 9/12/11 at 9w5d
    BFP#3 ~ 4/15/12, EDD 12/21/12 ~ DD born 12/22/12
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I posted a reply but it disappeared in New Bumpland. 

DD was nursing about 3.5 to 4 hours worth a day at 2 weeks. It went down gradually over the months and we average a hour a day now.   What you're going through is normal and will improve with time and patience.  

As for your clogs, when LO nurses on your clogged breast, lightly massage the area where you have a clogged duct. Your strokes should go down towards the nipple so the milk goes through. 

DS born 2009
    BFP#2 ~ 8/2/11, EDD 4/11/12, D&C 9/12/11 at 9w5d
    BFP#3 ~ 4/15/12, EDD 12/21/12 ~ DD born 12/22/12
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Totally normal.  It will get better...  It's funny, now that dd is nursing less and less since we're nearing the one year mark, I miss the days of being parked on the couch with her for what seemed like an eternity.  I can't help with the clogged ducts though.  I have been fortunate and haven't had any major breast issues...besides the initial chapping....lol.  Hang in there!  You're doing great :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.. Last night was awful!! It reminded me of some sort of hell week initiation... Ya know, where they test you to your breaking point??! I literally almost made DS a formula bottle and said the hell with it.. After what semed like nonstop nursing mostof the day, He then nursed from 6p until 3am almost constantly.. The second I would lay him down, within minutes he'd be up screaming for boob.. Nothing else would calm him.. Not rocking, hushing, pacifier, nothing... Omg, I was so exhausted!! But, I just kept reminding myself how much guilt I had over not being able to nurse DS1 and how if I cave now there likely would be no going back... Thankfully, he slept from 3-6 and then 645-945... I still don't know how I'm going to do this when DH goes back to work and I have DS1 to care for, too!!! Please let that light of regularity start to peak through soon!!!

• Options
    mkc5869 said:
    Thanks ladies.. Last night was awful!! It reminded me of some sort of hell week initiation... Ya know, where they test you to your breaking point??! I literally almost made DS a formula bottle and said the hell with it.. After what semed like nonstop nursing mostof the day, He then nursed from 6p until 3am almost constantly.. The second I would lay him down, within minutes he'd be up screaming for boob.. Nothing else would calm him.. Not rocking, hushing, pacifier, nothing... Omg, I was so exhausted!! But, I just kept reminding myself how much guilt I had over not being able to nurse DS1 and how if I cave now there likely would be no going back... Thankfully, he slept from 3-6 and then 645-945... I still don't know how I'm going to do this when DH goes back to work and I have DS1 to care for, too!!! Please let that light of regularity start to peak through soon!!!
    Have you tried the side lying position?  I know it was a lifesaver for me when DD was nursing all night.  I still use it often when I am exhausted.   

Yes! Tried it at like 2 am finally and that did allow me to at least close my eyes and relax a little while he was latched! The thing that kills me is he latches, sucks for a few minutes and then SLEEPS!! I pull him off, and he instantly wakes up.. I put in a pacifier instead, he flips out.. And no matter how much I mess with him to keep him awake, he still falls asleep within a few minutes of latching back on... Today has been better... Waking, eating a few times, but then sleeping for 1-3 hour chunks before waking to eat again... Just terrified what tonight will bring!!

• Options
    Have you tried stripping him down to a diaper to nurse? I had to do that, stroke DS's face, tickle his toes, and basically poke and bother him enough so he'd stay awake nursing. That helped him eat more and nurse every two hours instead of every hour.

Also, are you nursing both sides or one at a time when you feed? I did both sides to avoid clogged ducts, and only switched to one side per feeding around 3 months.

GL mama! Hang in there! Whenever I get frustrated I think of how expensive formula is!

I have, but doesn't usually help! And, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to tickle his feet while nursing in the football hold!! LOL that's the only hold that works for us, but no way to reach his feet! I've tried a cold wet cloth, too, but not much luck... He's a stinker! I did wrap him earlier in a rebozo carry and that kept him happy for a while without needing the boob... We shall see how tonight goes!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"