Breastfeeding
Options

Long term EPers...when did you drop pumps?

I just need to see some light at the end of the tunnel!  I dropped to 6 pumps a day around 3 weeks and I went down to 5 pumps when DS was 2 months.

When did you drop to 4, then 3, etc?  I just want to give myself a time frame.  I would have quit if I didn't drop to 5 pumps, I already feel so free.  I just know that eventually I will long to drop to 4 pumps and was wondering when people do that.

TIA!

Wife to Drew since 08.18.2007 Mom to Andrew since 10.18.2008 Runner, baker, reader, eater

Re: Long term EPers...when did you drop pumps?

• Options

I think it depends on your own idea of how long you would like to continue pumping. I'm still at 5 sessions a day because it works for my babies. I have to use some of my frozen stash every other day and it's slowly dwindling.

I'm apprehensive about dropping a session because I want to at least make it through the winter. I'm afraid if I drop a session my supply will drastically drop.

So you have to be comfortable with losing supply if you should drop a session. 

• Options
    I alternate days.  I pump 4 one day and 5 the next.  Right now with the holidays, this has helped me tremendously.  I may have to go back to 5/6 this week because the stress of the holidays I think has hurt my supply a little.  However, I only recently tried to drop to 4.  It worked for a day or so, and yesterday I lost track of my output so I'm not sure where I'm at.  I know I'm still ahead of DS, which is what I care about most. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I dropped to 6 pumps at around 8 weeks. Then to 5 pumps when I went back to work at 12 weeks. I went down to 4 pumps at 6 months. I'll have 3-pump days occasionally (once a week, maybe). My supply's been pretty consistent the whole time. I was a bit worried, since it seems a lot of people lose supply at 4 pumps, but I was fine.

• Options

Totally depends on how much you have, and how long you plan on EPing.

i am sorry-- but if you want to EP for a while there is no way you should only be pumping six times a day at 8-9 weeks. So many people do that and then come on here in a couple of weeks later and complain how much of a crappy supply they have.

i didn't drop to five pumps until six months. At seven months i dropped to four pumps (but i have a freezer full of milk). I don't plan on weaning until nine or ten months.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I dropped to 4 pumps at just shy of 6 mos and so far have only lost an ounce or two a day in my supply. ?It doesn't bother me b/c I still have a great freezer stash and having to only pump 4 times is soooo much better than 5 times/day. ?Now I can't wait until I can drop to 3/day but I think that's still a ways off. ?My goal is to make it to a year and with my freezer stash, I think I could stop at 10 months or so and still make it to a year.?

Like pps said, it depends on your goals and if you were able to build a freezer stash in the beginning. ?I did the 10pumps/day for the first 8 weeks and then was at 8 pumps/day around the 10 week mark and gradually worked to 6/day by 4 months.?

Kim

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did 7 pumps till my daughter was 2 months old, then 6 till she was 4 months, then 5 through September, 4 through October and some of November, and then dropped to three times a day, where I currently am.  I don't know yet when I'm going to drop to two.  It is amazing how dropping just one pump can give you a sense of freedom you didn't have before!!
  • Options

Thank you everybody for the great advice!  My mini-goal was to make it to 6 months but my long term goal is to make it a year.  I am thankful to be blessed with an oversupply of milk and I have a huge freezer stash.  We had to buy a deep freezer and it is filling up fast.  Otherwise I never would have dropped to 5 pumps so soon.  Sounds like I should stay with 5 pumps until 6 months at least!  Very doable now!!  Thanks again!!

Wife to Drew since 08.18.2007 Mom to Andrew since 10.18.2008 Runner, baker, reader, eater
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"