3rd Trimester
Options

baby face up during delivery...

i've read and heard that it's harder for doctor's to deliver a baby that is face up during delivery because the head can not flex on it's way out, sometimes causing them to deliver by c/s.

so my question is...how would they know the baby is face up before it comes out?  would it show signs of stress?  i realize they could do an u/s and see that the baby was face up, but what would signal them to do an u/s?

just a random question Smile

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: baby face up during delivery...

• Options
    usually the mom has bad back labor. 
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

I believe this is most common with an anterior placenta because the baby likes to face the placenta. I have an anterior placenta and according to ultrasound baby has been face up. I get really bad back pain sometimes and have been told it's because of the babies position.

Dr said usually babies will turn and face the right way during labor and delivery.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    One of my twins was face up at delivery.  You can't do an us to see which was the baby is facing.  The doctor knew after her bag of water broke.  He tried to turn her but she wouldn't budge.  I didn't need a c/s but we did have to use forceps on her tiny 31 week head.  Had she been closer to term, I have no idea what would have happened.  She ended up very very bruised from me pushing her into my pevlic bone. 
  • Options
    From what I've heard, if you're dilated enough, the doctor or MW can reach up and feel the soft spots on the baby's head to know which way it is facing. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My DD was face up til I was 8 cm dilated.  It sucked cuz I had HORRIBLE back labor.  She finally flipped around and that helped a LOT.  The doctor was able to tell by the shape of her head if she was face up or down.  My cousin has 5 kids, and 3 were face up, and they took a lot longer to deliver.  Basically what she said was, she would push and then stop for like half a second and then push again, because if she waited any longer, the head would go right back up into her. 
  • Options
    Yep, posterior babies are supposedly harder to push out, I didn't know my DS came out like that till my follow-up apt after birth. Sometimes they can turn on the way out. I am hoping this baby will be face down and come out easier!
  • Options

My first son was born face up. We didnt know it until it was time to push, I had really bad back labor. Not to scare anyone, but they ended up using the vaccum to help him down and out, as every time i pushed he would come down and go right back up. But that might have been cause my lil man has a big lil head Wink  But i dont think they can tell in advance, at least they didnt warn me Surprise

• Options

My son was born face up. The back labour was so bad that I was screaming for an epi at 3 cms.

Abby was face up for a good portion of my labour with her, but near the end she turned to face MOSTLY the right way but was facing at a bit of an angle. I pushed her out in waht felt like one llooooonnnng push, unmedicated. And she tore me pretty good. 

There are labouring positions you can use to  help baby turn. I don't remember them now, but one involved me on all fours. 

• Options
    imageJa'kyi and Ro'Mel Mommy:

every time i pushed he would come down and go right back up.

Were you holding your breath during your pushing? I learned that that can cause the backing up. The nurse who taught our childbirth class did an informal study on this while she was working on her Masters. They actually tested to see if the babies went back up after "purple pushing" (by sticking their fingers in and checking) and they did, where as women who made noise or released breath during the pushing didn't have that problem. It has something to do with the change in pressure.

• Options
    My doc was able to tell at my last appt that baby is face down.  He felt around on my belly, telling me where everything was, and was able to feel its back facing up.
  • Options
    My DD was born face up. I don't think they knew that she was face up until I had bad back labor and her heart rate dropped during contrx/pushing not sure which. They had me lay on my side to push to help keep it up and possibly help her turn. It helped her heart rate, but she never did end up turning around. She was delivered face up. No vacuum or anything. They did have to spend some extra time clearing out her airways, but all in all she was fine. It was more painful for me, but once she was out I forgot all about the pain. They never did tell me if my placenta was to the front or to the back, whether that was why she was facing up I'm not sure. I'm kind of curious though, because this time I know the placenta is to the back. Hopefully DS will come out the right way!! Good luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"