Special Needs
Options

No Babbling 9 months - Speach Therapy??

My DS is still not Babbling. He is 9 motnhs old and his dr. wants to start Speach Therapy.(He passed his hearing test with flying colors) Has anyone experienced this at such a young age? Did it work? Should I start therapy now, or wait until he is older? How do you do speach therapy on such a little guy?

Re: No Babbling 9 months - Speach Therapy??

• Options
    if you can get speech therapy, i'd get it done asap..as is with any therapy! ?the earlier you can help him out the better..just imo :0)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

As a special education teacher for children with Autism (mostly non-verbal students), PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start speech therapy now!! Especially if your doctor recommends it! Often times pediatricians are too quick to brush everything off as nothing and in doing so deny children who need help the services they deserve.

Since your son is only 9 months, he may turn out to have completely normal language skills when he gets older, or he may have a language-delay. Either way, the BEST thing to do for your child is give him early intervention! At that age, therapy is done all through play and is quite enjoyable for the child. Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I am a Speech- Language Pathologist, but work with adults now.  I have pediatric experience and just wanted to say before they start therapy, there is always a Speech Evaluation in which a Speech Pathologist will evaluate your child and determine the need for further intervention (ie therapy or not).  I would say go ahead with the evaluation.  They may also give you helpful hints to stimulate language development if therapy is not needed at this time.  HTH

• Options

My son had his first EI assessment done at 7 months, and he was below average, but not low enough to qualify for services.  We had him evaluated again at 10 months and he was further behind- he qualified based on that second assessment.  Now he has therapy once a week, they come to our house, and it is free.  There really isn't any downside- he plays he has fun, they encourage him to improve the things he needs help on (in his case he is slow on fine motor and language).  He has been in therapy from 11 months to now (15 months) and we won't be stopping anytime soon. 

• Options
    Thank you everyone. How did you get therapy for free? Insurance does not cover it. THe state (CA) will not do it for free until he is 12 months. The "cheepest" therapy I could find is $120 an hour, $325 for the evulation. Does this sound right?
  • Options

DS is 6 weeks and he has a speech therapist.  We're focusing mostly on his ability to suck and swallow.  If a 6 week-old can have ST, a 9-month old can too. :)

I would start ASAP.  Pay attention so you can practice the techniques at home. They will teach you, and pay attention to your son's cues.  You don't want to overwhelm him and have him overstimulated.  Good luck!  

• Options
    I would definitely start now if possible! I've only heard of people wishing that had started sooner (I know I do with my 4 y/o!), not the other way around. My 15 month old doesn't qualify (yet) but her EI teacher is working with her and we've had communication goals written in her IFSP until she qualifies for ST.
    Michelle
    3 boys (15, 8, 6), 1 girl (4)
  • Options
    As an Speech-Language Pathologist, set up the evaluation as soon as possible!
  • Options

I am also a SLP.  I would encourage you to get an evaluation.  Just as PP said, the earlier the better.

I would also encourage you to visit  asha.org (American Speech-Language Hearing Association) for more helpful information about speech and language.  

https://www.asha.org/public/speech/development/01.htm

The rates for therapy vary according to location and experience.  The rates you listed are about right, but look around, ask for recommendations from your doctor, or look up professionals on asha.org

You can also try introducing your son to basic sign language to help stimulate expressive language.  Children as young as 6 months have shown understanding of basic signs.  There are numerous books, videos, and classes available (kindersigns.com). Good luck and good job for being an aware and concerned parent!

• Options
    I can't imagine it will hurt.  If you are unsure it has any importance and you are going to have to pay a ton of money out of pocket, maybe get a second opinion - but I cant see the hurt in it.  It is enjoyable, they come to you (in most cases) and we saw DRAMATIC improvement in less than 12 weeks.  There are things they can teach you that end up just becoming second nature for you to do & in the long run, it'll help YOU communicate with them as well.  Do it!!  But.... 9 months isnt so bad.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Early Intervention should be free (there is a monthly family fee depending on income). ?It is a birth - 3 program, not a 1-3 program! ?Contact EI and they should be able to offer guidance. ?I am also a speech therapist and agree with everyone else - you have nothing to lose by starting now! ?Has he had his hearing evaluated recently?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    yes, he passed his hearing test with flying colors about 3 weeks ago. I am in CA, and i can't find anything for free. We are looking at a min. of $500 a month. I called the state and they said they can't help until he is 18 months...maybe 12. It's killing me that this is all coming down to money. we got a second opn. yesterday. This Dr. thinks we should a wait another month or so. She thinks he has been focused on his other skills. She said she see nothing else wrong with him, so waiting should be fine. sigh. Thank you everyone for your words.
  • Options

I just goggled Early intervention in CA and came up with this...most states (I think) have birth to 3 programs.

https://www.dds.ca.gov/EarlyStart/Home.cfm

Hope this helps.

• Options
    Just an update. My DS starting babbling on Chrismas day. Out of the blue...he just started saying...ma-ma, da-da, la-la, ga,. It was a GREAT christmas gift for DH and I. I really never thought that kids could just start "talking" out of the blue....but it is possible. =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"