Minnesota Babies
Options

When to look for day care

We know that we will need to do an in home day care because of cost, we just can't afford a center.

Baby is due in April, so after my maternity leave we'll be needing day care around mid June, beginning of July.

When should we start calling around, and looking into day care?  I've thought about doing it now, or shortly after the holidays, but it seems so early to be looking - thanks!

Re: When to look for day care

• Options
    I would start at least a month (maybe two) before your due date. That gives you time to do interviews and check references, etc. so you can take your time.
  • Options
    It might be worth it to start calling around.  Some places have long waitlists for infants.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started pretty much when I found out I was pregnant. It was important for my job that I had established and dependable child care - I was able to start narrowing down my options over time, and then get my name on waiting lists, etc. We ultimately went with a nanny, but I'm glad I had time to make the right decision for us, rather than just rushing into something because we were crunched for time. I had an April baby too!
  • Options
    I had the baby in July and started looking in early June.  I would have looked earlier, but we were in the process of moving and weren't sure where the new house would be.  I'd recommend starting to call a few months before you have the baby.  When I started calling places I found that about 1 in 15 daycares I called had an opening (I called maybe 15 different places).  Like one of the previous posters said, a lot of in home daycares have waiting lists for babies, so if you want something close to home or some other specifics, you will want to look sooner rather than later. 
  • Options
    My baby isn't due until July 31. I'll take 3-months off, so will begin daycare Nov 1st. I called this week and made a deposit on a spot in a church center; they were already booked for all but 4 of their 8 infant spots into October. I think the earlier the better... The director was thrilled that we called this early (11-weeks) and said she wished more parents would... It could be different with home care though. Good luck - I hope you find someone you love =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"