3rd Trimester
Options

There is NO cocaine in an epidural - Aaaarg!

From 2nd Tri.... 

This is a response to the eternal 'Why are you going med free' question... 

But there is NO COCAINE in an epidural!!!  If you?re going to make that claim, please research first!  No respectable source (sorry I don't count 'Aunt Crazy's website of herbal remedies and reasons you shouldn't vaccinate as a source of unbiased knowledge) has cocaine listed as an ingredient of an epidural (there is an original record going back to 1886 listing cocaine derivative as what was used in an epidural, but it doesn?t even say if that was a pregnancy related epidural, and come on, it's over 100 years old!).  I hope no one is scared out of making a perfectly good pain management decision based on urban myths...  

Deegirl322
Top 500 Contributor
Joined on 06-30-2008
East coast snobville AKA DC area
52,018 Points
Deegirl322 is online. Last active: 12-05-2008, 2:52 PMSilver
-->
-->
Because I believe it's better for the baby. There are so many side effects from drugs and no drug has been proven 100% safe. Lots of times taking drugs can lead to an emergency c-section. Drugs can slow labor, drop your blood pressure. You should really research and educate yourself on drugs during pregnancy. I've learned so much. I really don't want to be putting cocaine in my body if I don't need to (a little cocaine is in an epidural). Everything that goes in you, goes to the placenta and then the baby.  I would recommend watching the documentary The Business of Being Born to better explain drugs and childbirth to you.

Re: There is NO cocaine in an epidural - Aaaarg!

• Options
    no wonder I loved my epidural so much.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    There isn't cocaine in epi's but they aren't without risk and most people don't look into the pro's and con's.  It's not a bad idea to know what the potential risks/benefits are to you and your baby. 
    imageimage 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Make mine a double.
  • Options

hey hey hey..... a little blow never hurt anyone!

why not get junior started early?

so now this broad is saying if we have drugs during birth, we'll have a stillborn too?

• Options
    To each her own.  Personally, I believe that if the option exists for me to have a more comfortable labor and actually almost enjoy the process, why on earth wouldn't I choose that?
  • Options
    Best I can figure is that she misinterpreted information.  Our birth class instructor said that most epis have a "-caine" ingredient, such as lidocaine. 
  • Options
    Maybe there wasn't in yours...

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Forget the epidural, I'm just going to shoot some heroin on my way to L&D.
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

LMFAO. My husbands backwoods mother told me the SAME freaking thing when I was pregnant w. our daughter. Scared the crap out of me.

Even the OB & Anesticiologist looked at ME like I was the crazy one when I asked them about it.

*Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    But the bag of fluids they give you to stay hydrated is laced with a bit of LSD. Shhh. ;)
    *Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagemommajewels87:
    But the bag of fluids they give you to stay hydrated is laced with a bit of LSD. Shhh. ;)

you know what?  i'd be fine if they gave me some shrooms to munch on during labor, but LSD is committing my spine to something for a LONG time.  i am NOT okay with the acid.

Shrooms fine, acid not so much.

• Options
    Doesn't matter my baby is already addicted to to cocaine in the Coke I drink...we should be good...
  • Options

It amazes me that with the amount of information we all have access to these days with books, internet, etc... how misinformed we can be... i personally have a saying anything in excess isnt very good for you.... no matter how good it tastes...etc....

Hopefully the women who started this ill-information has found the correct info now... hope everyone is feeling well... i have no ticker...

but i am 32 weeks and 1 day having a boy.. dh thinks i will be going into labor on xmas... he's a silly worry wort though...

• Options
    Aw man! I hate to say this but consider the source. This girl didn't get the flu shot because among other reasons "our mothers didn't get it and were fine". So.....

Soon to celebrate the day we met, even if the day before marks when we said goodbye.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"