Success after IF
Options

nutrition and diet soda

Until today when I started feeling m/s, I have tried to be sooo good about what I have been eating (ever since the ET).  I switched to organic on most things and DH has been making me write down what I eat to make sure I am well-balanced.  We are both dentists, so we apparently think we know about nutrition ? Wink  Probably enough to be dangerous.

I have totally cut out caffeine and artificial sweetners (I used to live on diet soda and crystal light).  Over the past week, I have been drinking sprite to settle my stomach, and I am drinking an extra couple hundred calories a day in soda.

My first OB appointment is this week, so hopefully they can give me some guidelines.  The nurse at my RE said she would avoid anything artificial, but I am just wondering ... What is your opinion on artificial sweetners and organics?  TIA

Me – 33 (no diagnosis), DH – 41 (MFI)

IVF #1/ICSI 2008 – 22 ER, 21 F, Day 3 transfer (8A and 8B) - BFP, 3 Frosties

Surprise BFP 2010

Surprise BFP 2011

Shipped frosties from TX to VA in 2012

FET #1 May 2013, single blast – BFN

FET #2 August 2013 2 blasts – BFN

IVF #2/ICSI/AH Jan 2014 – 8 ER, 7M, 6 F Day 3 transfer (grade 2 & 3), no frosties - BFP!

Re: nutrition and diet soda

• Options
    well, I haven't done much reading on this, but I try to avoid artificial sweeteners - the idea of chemical sweeteners just creeps me out. And I eat organic as much as I can, especially meats and fruits/veggies. But of course, you can't control whether something is organic when you eat at a restaurant so I probably eat no more than 50% organic.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I cut back, but definitely still use artificial sweetners. I had GD the first time and was borderline this time so for me sugar is actually worse than the 1 can of diet soda I might drink a day, etc.

We do eat mostly organic stuff at home but I don't go crazy worrying about it. When I go out to eat I accept it's not going to be organic.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I avoid artificial sweeteners when TTC and pregnant. As for organic, I'm not that fanatical about it - if I see organic fruit or veggies I'll get them over non-organic but that's about it.
    *** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • Options

imageschmoodle:
    I avoid artificial sweeteners when TTC and pregnant. As for organic, I'm not that fanatical about it - if I see organic fruit or veggies I'll get them over non-organic but that's about it.

ditto Scmoodle (although I don't really do artificial sweeteners when I'm not pg or TTC - I'd much rather have sugar.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Amber
    TTC since March '06
    MFI, LPD, possible PCOS
    3 chem pgs * m/c identical twins at 9w 10.06
    IVF w/ICSI #2 - beta - 187! (9dp5dt), beta - 367! (11dp5dt)
    IVF w/ICSI #3 - it's a girl!
    My IF Blog: Between the Lines
    My Parenting Blog: Letters From Your Mama
  • Options

I drink a diet coke every day pg or not, it's my splurge.. 

I'm not going to get up on a soap box, but IMO "organic" is just a marketing ploy.  I have a degree in Agriculture, worked in the produce industry for 10 years, and my parents are farmers so I have a lot of experience dealing with both organic and conventional produce.  The standards are very loose and lots of farmers become "certified organic" just to make an extra buck..  The do what they need to for the certification and then go back...  There isn't a real "watch dog"...  "Organic" also doesn't mean pesticide free, it just means that for a period of time they didn't use products on the no no list....  same food more expensive and with no added nutritional value https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/organic-food/NU00255

• Options
    I'm sitting here in the hospital, drinking my can of hospital provided Diet Soda, completly approved my my doctor, high risk OK, and the hospital antepartum nutritionist.   So I'm assumming it can't be that bad.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I still do artificial sweeteners occasionally, but have cut back. I have 1-2 cans of diet coke a week, and a couple light yogurts. In the past, those were a daily thing. The only thing I avoid completely is saccharine (fyi- it's in fountain diet coke) because it can pass through the placenta and be retained in fetal tissue.

As far as organic food, I try to be a conscientious shopper, but I'm not fanatical about it. I always buy organic eggs and dairy. I wish I could do organic meats as well, but it is prohibitively expensive. Other organic items (produce, soups, etc.) ?I buy based on price and selection.

• Options
    Thanks for the info on organic.  I would love a coke zero... maybe I will compromise and wait until the second trimester :)

Me – 33 (no diagnosis), DH – 41 (MFI)

IVF #1/ICSI 2008 – 22 ER, 21 F, Day 3 transfer (8A and 8B) - BFP, 3 Frosties

Surprise BFP 2010

Surprise BFP 2011

Shipped frosties from TX to VA in 2012

FET #1 May 2013, single blast – BFN

FET #2 August 2013 2 blasts – BFN

IVF #2/ICSI/AH Jan 2014 – 8 ER, 7M, 6 F Day 3 transfer (grade 2 & 3), no frosties - BFP!

• Options
    I am diabetic, so we knew I would be using splenda eventually. But I waited until my second tri, and then added it back in. It was hard, I was CRAVING a diet pepsi, but I would do that again.
    2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagebpaullo:

I drink a diet coke every day pg or not, it's my splurge.. 

I'm not going to get up on a soap box, but IMO "organic" is just a marketing ploy.  I have a degree in Agriculture, worked in the produce industry for 10 years, and my parents are farmers so I have a lot of experience dealing with both organic and conventional produce.  The standards are very loose and lots of farmers become "certified organic" just to make an extra buck..  The do what they need to for the certification and then go back...  There isn't a real "watch dog"...  "Organic" also doesn't mean pesticide free, it just means that for a period of time they didn't use products on the no no list....  same food more expensive and with no added nutritional value https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/organic-food/NU00255

Ditto on the organic stuff.  

I drink a diet coke every day, and my RE, OB, and peri all approved.  If you have a 6-can a day habit - well that isn't good for you pregnant or not.

DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"