Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

stupid ? about medicine for colds..

Hi all -

I have blissfully avoided a really lousy cold until now with my DD, but man, have we got one now.     She's nearly 2, but out weighs and heights (is that a word!? LOL!) the average 2 yr old by a bit.. so - is there something safe that I can give her to help with the runny stuffy nose - at least at night, so that she can sleep?  

I'm all ears ladies, we're having a *rough* time.

thanks-

Christine

Re: stupid ? about medicine for colds..

• Options

Cold meds aren't safe (or effective) for kids under 6 I think.  You can do saline nasal drops, humidifier, tylenol/motrin.

My 1 year old just had a nasty cold and I had to pull her in bed with me, prop her up against my body so her head was elevated for her nose to clear enough for her to sleep.

DS - June 2006 DD1 - November 2007 DD2 - August 2010
  • Options

our pedi recommends no cold meds for children under age 6y...  we do the saline washes (drops of saline in the nose, then suck it out with the bulb syringe), humidifier, plenty of fluids to keep the congestion loose, having her sleep on an incline so she doesn't have coughing fits at night from the drainage... there is baby vicks, but I don't know if it works?   unfortunately a cold can last 2 - 3 wks.  Stick out tongue

hope she's feeling better soon.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks ladies - I feared that I was already doing everything I could... feh.

Poor monkey! :(

Christine

• Options
    Hmm...  I must have a bad doc.  It was actually the on-call ped okayed a small dose (1/2 teaspoon) for my then 6 mo old.  If needed, I give both girls cold meds.
  • Options

Everyone is saying you can't give them meds until they are 6 well that is just over the counter.. Go to your dr. and he will give her something.. My son had a cold and he gave him some donatussin for the cough and it knocks him out so he sleep good also.. so you might want to take her to the dr and then she can feel better.. Good Luck!!

• Options
    I use the waterless vicks vaporizer near DD's crib.  That has seemed to help her the most.  When she really cant sleep then we bring her in with us to help prop her up and comfort her more.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"