Multiples

temper tantrums at 13 months??

Isn't it too early for temper tantrums? Like the kind where they arch their backs and throw themselves down? How do you handle them? I didn't think we would be dealing with this for several more months. I don't get it. Allie isn't having them, the only thing I've noticed with her recently is jelousy (if Madison is on my lap she has to be there to) But Madison is having full on temper tantrums- especially when she doesn't get her way. Any suggestions welcome!

Re: temper tantrums at 13 months??

• Nope, not to young! Molly is my temper Queen. When she gets mad (usually bc I told her she cannot chew on the remote/telephone/her sister) she sits on the floor, puts her head on the ground btwn her legs and cries. I pretty much roll my eyes and walk away from her. She isn't going to get attention for bad behavior. I tell her, "You let me know when you're going to be a big girl..." and sure, she doesn't really understand it, but with the tantrums, all you can do is ignore. There are times too, when I just pick her up and put her butt in the time out corner. When she composes herself, she is allowed to come and play.
    no day but today~ RENT  *HEG survivors*
    ::where a sig pic would go if TB wasn't a d*ck::
     Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Nope, not too young.  They throw tantrums because they want something but cannot communicate to someone what that is.  They could be tired, hungry, want the book their sibling is playing with. they hate your purple shirt, whatever.  The best thing to do is to let them scream (in a safe place obviously) and walk away.  Do not acknowledge their behavior whatsoever.  They want attention but don't give in. They'll just learn later that their tantrums get mom and dad to pay attention. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine have just started within the last week or two.  One arches his back and screams.  I lay him gently on the floor away from something he'll hit his head on and just ignore him.  It honestly lasts maybe 15-20 seconds and he'll quiet down, roll over, and crawl back over to get a toy. 

The other will put his head between his legs and cry.  I just ignore him although his last much longer.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"