3rd Trimester
Options

Anyone nervous about bringing their baby home?

For some reason I'm not nervous about labor and giving birth but I get anxiety thinking about bringing him home.  I'm so worried I won't know what to do when he cries, when to bathe him, change his diaper, feed him, etc.  My DH seems to think all this stuff just comes natural, but I'm not so sure.  Anyone else feel this way??

Re: Anyone nervous about bringing their baby home?

• Options
    I know I do.  And hubs does too.  He said today that he wished the little guy could come out about 2 years old.  The more I think about all the things I don't know about babies, the more I'm starting to agree with him!
  • Options
    im scared of labor, but more afraid of later and that I will screw him up! I keep thinking do I have the right things for him, what if I do something that hurts him...i have been around babies all my life and suddenly I am second guessing myself--i guess bc hes a newborn and mine =) I know it will all be fine--but its still scary.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm not as nervous about it this time since we've managed to keep ds alive and happy for over 2 years!  lol

I am more worried about the interaction and adapting of ds to dd.

The 1st time, though, I was so nervous.  DH and I couldn't believe they were letting us (two amateurs) walk out of the hospital w/ a baby.  It's funny, though, that it really does come naturally to a lot of us.  Trust your instincts and take advice w/ a grain of salt.  Some advice you get will make perfect sense and be very helpful....other advice should have been thrown out w/ the 70's for example...

Good luck!

• Options
    It's totally normal and you will be "at sea" for a couple of days, but you will learn your own baby really quickly. You'll figure it all out as you go and you and baby will be fine!
  • Options
    i think it's natural to be nervous. ?but trust me you will know when to change a diaper. ?and once you change one, you'll be a pro. ?you'll learn all his cries, you'll be great!!
  • Options

the 2 best pieces of advice I can give is, #1 stay calm. NO MATTER WHAT. babies sense tension and if you lose your sh!t you will make things much worse. No baby died from crying and the calmer you are the calmer they will be I swear! And #2 get this book

https://www.amazon.com/Heading-Home-Your-Newborn-Reality/dp/1581101570/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227996220&sr=8-1

its a no-brainer easy read approach for taking care of your newborn in the first few weeks. It goes over things that you think you will just know but dont, and at 3 am when there is no one to ask its a lifesaver.

• Options

OMG. TOTALLY.

Just last night I started sobbing b/c I was thinking I wouldn't know what to do to put the baby to bed.  WTF?  It doesn't even make sense to me today, but I think it was just general anxiety about not getting an owners manual with these little people. 

But I'm hoping between my mom and the ped. that they'll help me figure things out.

• Options

With DS, I found What to Expect the First Year to be a very reassuring resource.

This time, I am more worried about the interaction between DS and this baby.  It will be a challenge to figure out how to balance 2 kids!

• Options
    I am nervous because my DD is 9 and my DS is 8. It's been a long time since I've had a baby and it's not that I'm nervous about taking care of it but I'm nervous because I want to make sure that my older DC don't feel left out and aren't jealous. I think we'll be okay though because I also have that in the forefront of my mind.
  • Options
    I'm pretty scared-we are responsible for this little person for a long time!  I think it's normal to feel scared though.  We will all get through it!
  • Options

Definitely. The thought of giving birth doesn't phase me at all, but I'm terrified of bringing her home. Newborns always seem so fragile to me that I'm afraid I'll break her. Silly I know.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    im not really that nervous about bringing her home, im not at all nervous about labor, because the reward in the end is the ultimate gift, what i am nervous about is that with my first one i was a single mom, i was 18, and lived at home with my parents until i got married when my daughter was 5, and i am so nervous about letting someone help me, im a really independent person, and i like to do everything myself, so with my first, i did everything my way, and i dont know how i will do with not being so controlling!!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagelouandstacy:

I'm not as nervous about it this time since we've managed to keep ds alive and happy for over 2 years!  lol

I am more worried about the interaction and adapting of ds to dd.

The 1st time, though, I was so nervous.  DH and I couldn't believe they were letting us (two amateurs) walk out of the hospital w/ a baby. 

Ditto all of this!  There is this weird moment when you get home with the baby, put everything away, and then go..."Now what?" especially if you're alone and no one (mom, MIL, whoever) is staying with you.  Even if you have family staying with you to help at first, that "Now what?" moment comes when they leave.  After a couple of days, though, you start to fall into a routine and figure out what works for you and the baby. 

I remember going on the Parenting board and asking about every tiny little thing when my DD was a baby, because I wanted to know how I was "supposed" to do everything--how often to nurse her, when to bathe her, how to tell when she should be held vs. put down to sleep, etc.  It took me a while to learn that everyone does things differently and there's no right way, as long as you're taking good care of the baby.  GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"