Infertility
Options

Hello New and about to have laproscopy surgery, nervous not sure if I'm on right track??

Does anyone have any information or tips?

Re: Hello New and about to have laproscopy surgery, nervous not sure if I'm on right track??

• Options
    The best tip I have for a laparoscopy is have fiber and beano on hand afterwards. The gas can be pretty bad, but don't worry, thats the worst part. You'll feel better before you know it!
  • Options
    What's it for?  I had it last fall for endometriosis and to remove a blocked tube.  The surgery itself was easy.  Recovery was a bit of a challenge but that's because they burned off a lot of endo tissue.  So it really depends on what it's for.

As @beckihall said, the gas afterwards is crazy painful!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a hysteroscopy and laparoscopy done 3 weeks ago to correct the shape of my uterus and to remove a massive amount of endo. I was lucky not to hurt too much from the gas after. But yes, water, fiber and possibly a laxative (I used Senokot) are a must. Do you have any specific questions about the procedure? Is it for endo?
  • Options
    I had one a few weeks ago to remove scar tissue from a previous csection. It wasn't bad. I was a little sore and tired afterwards but felt good.
    Good luck!!
  • Options
    I had it to remove Endo back in January. I think it depends on what you are doing it for. Mine was a little painful and uncomfortable for a few days after.
    Me - 32 
    Husband - 32
    TTC #1 - since 10/16/2012 
    IVF#1 6/2015 BFN 
    FET 7/2015 - BFP

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hi all, thanks so much, never did this before so I panicked fearful of scarring. Dr wants to clear some of my fibroids and any possibility of endo or blocked tubes...says this w drastically increase my chances as well given my age. I trust my Dr but nervous anyway. ..I certainly w have the Gas X on hand and deal w it afterwards. Thks for sharing, quite consoling knowing someone has done this before me...I like to know what is coming.
  • Options
    beckihallbeckihall member
    edited August 2015
    My laparoscopy was done May 5th to clean up some endometriosis, at the same time they checked my tubes and found out they were blocked. I started IVF July 20th and just got home from my embryo transfer. Time flies by so fast.

The laparoscopy isn't so bad, you'll get through it and onto the next part of your journey before you know it!
  • Options
    Thanks so much, was there much of a lag time before the first IVF?
  • Options
    I had the lap May 5th and started my stims July 20th.
  • Options
    Hi if this 5th IUI cycle fails, my RE is performing a laproscopy and I have been wondering the same thing! I'm scared to go under as I have never been under. 

When are you looking at having the surgery?
    Me 30 Hubby 32
    TTC#1
    1.) IUI Cycle 1 April 2015- 50mg clomid days 5-9, U/S cycle day 12 at 9:30am showed two follicles (17mm and 19mm), Ovidrel trigger shot cycle day 13 at 9:30pm, IUI cycle day 15 at 10:30 am. BFN
    2.) IUI Cycle 2 May 2015-50mg clomid days 5-9, U/S cycle day 12 at 3:30pm showed three follicles!!! (17mm, 20mm and 22mm), Ovidrel trigger shot cycle day 13 at 9:30pm, IUI cycle day 15 at 10:30 am. BFN
    3.) IUI Cycle 3 June 2015-50mg clomid days 5-9, U/S cycle day 12 showed one follicle, Ovidrel trigger shot cycle day 13 at 9:30pm, IUI cycle day 15 at 10:30 am. BFN
    Month break and switched RE's.
    4.) IUI Cycle 4 July 2015-5mg letrozole/femara days 3-7, U/S day 12 showed one follicle (18mm), Ovidrel trigger shot cycle day 12 10:00pm, IUI cycle day 14 10:30 am. BFN
    5.) IUI Cycle 5 August 2015-100mg clomid days 3-7, U/S day 12 showed 2 follicles (18mm each), Ovidrel trigger shot cycle day 12 10:00pm, IUI cycle day 14 10:30 am. BFN
    Taking a break and trying acupuncture before continuing another 3 IUI/clomid cycles. I also went back to my original RE; because of my age and normal tests, RE wants to try another 3 IUI and Clomid cycles before considering injectables or IVF. 
    6.) IUI Cycle 6 October 2015-100mg clomid days 3-7, U/S day 12 showed 3 follicles!!!( 18mm, 19mm, and 20mm), Ovidrel trigger shot cycle day 13 at 9:30pm, IUI cycle day 15 at 9:30 am. Did acupuncture with this cycle too. BFN
    Took a break and ttc naturally
    7.) IUI Cycle 7 February 2016-100mg clomid days 3-7, U/S day 12 showed 2 follicles (22mm and 24mm), Ovidrel trigger shot day 12 at 9:00pm, IUI cycle day 14 at 10:00am. BFN
    Meeting scheduled for 2/29/2016 to discuss iui with injectables vs. IVF
    8.) IUI Cycle 8 March 2016-Injectables (Gonal F), U/S showed 2 mature follicles, Ovidrel Trigger BFN
    April-May I lost my mind.
    IVF#1 July 2016-Transferred 2 fair blasts. 9dp5dt BFP 129 BETA, 13dp5dt 944 BETA, 20dp5dpt 8776 BETA, 8/19/2016-1 beautiful heartbeat  of 100 BPM at 6 weeks 1 day! Growing baby grow!! 8/25/2016-another ultrasound at 7 weeks and baby has a heart beat of 129 BPM and is 10mm/1cm! Grow baby grow some more!! Graduated from RE at 10 weeks and had ObGyn appointment at 13 weeks. It's a girl (found out via panorama test)  EDD 4/13/2017

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

I have had 3 lap surgeries in 9 years for endo.  My first one was easier and then it has gotten worse as each one has been performed.  The only reason mine have been bad is b/c I had lots of endo burned off and then the last time my tube had to be opened up and it just hurt afterwards. The actual procedure is not that bad. It just all depends on what you are having done as to how your recovery goes. 

Advice:  Stay on top of your pain meds for the first 24 - 48 hours, take a laxative starting the day after your surgery b/c pain pills stop you up and that can be more painful than the surgery (learned that the hard way, ouch), if you are prone to nausea ask the doctor for a script for finigrin or Zofran for home, drink lots of water and finally just let your body rest...the laundry and the dishes and everything can wait. 

Good luck!  I hope that it is very successful for you and you get your BFP soon!

• Options
    @betwise were you able to conceive shortly after your lap surgeries?
    Me 30 Hubby 32
    TTC#1
    1.) IUI Cycle 1 April 2015- 50mg clomid days 5-9, U/S cycle day 12 at 9:30am showed two follicles (17mm and 19mm), Ovidrel trigger shot cycle day 13 at 9:30pm, IUI cycle day 15 at 10:30 am. BFN
    2.) IUI Cycle 2 May 2015-50mg clomid days 5-9, U/S cycle day 12 at 3:30pm showed three follicles!!! (17mm, 20mm and 22mm), Ovidrel trigger shot cycle day 13 at 9:30pm, IUI cycle day 15 at 10:30 am. BFN
    3.) IUI Cycle 3 June 2015-50mg clomid days 5-9, U/S cycle day 12 showed one follicle, Ovidrel trigger shot cycle day 13 at 9:30pm, IUI cycle day 15 at 10:30 am. BFN
    4.) IUI Cycle 4 July 2015-5mg letrozole/femara days 3-7, U/S day 12 showed one follicle (18mm), Ovidrel trigger shot cycle day 12 10:00pm, IUI cycle day 14 10:30 am. BFN
    5.) IUI Cycle 5 August 2015-100mg clomid days 3-7, U/S day 12 showed 2 follicles (18mm each), Ovidrel trigger shot cycle day 12 10:00pm, IUI cycle day 14 10:30 am. BFN
    Taking a break and trying acupuncture before continuing another 3 IUI/clomid cycles. I also went back to my original RE; because of my age and normal tests, RE wants to try another 3 IUI and Clomid cycles before considering injectables or IVF. 
    6.) IUI Cycle 6 October 2015-100mg clomid days 3-7, U/S day 12 showed 3 follicles!!!( 18mm, 19mm, and 20mm), Ovidrel trigger shot cycle day 13 at 9:30pm, IUI cycle day 15 at 9:30 am. Did acupuncture with this cycle too. BFN
    7.) IUI Cycle 7 February 2016-100mg clomid days 3-7, U/S day 12 showed 2 follicles (22mm and 24mm), Ovidrel trigger shot day 12 at 9:00pm, IUI cycle day 14 at 10:00am. BFN
    8.) IUI Cycle 8 March 2016-Injectables (Gonal F), U/S showed 2 mature follicles, Ovidrel Trigger BFN
    IVF#1 July 2016-Transferred 2 fair blasts. 9dp5dt BFP 129 BETA, 13dp5dt 944 BETA, 20dp5dpt 8776 BETA, 8/19/2016-1 beautiful heartbeat  of 100 BPM at 6 weeks 1 day! Growing baby grow!! 8/25/2016-another ultrasound at 7 weeks and baby has a heart beat of 129 BPM and is 10mm/1cm! Grow baby grow some more!! Graduated from RE at 10 weeks and had ObGyn appointment at 13 weeks. It's a girl (found out via panorama test)  EDD 4/13/2017

• Options
    @Knottie36622473 I conceived almost immediately after my first one (surgery thanksgiving, found out I was pregnant first of January of that year). My other two surgeries have not been as successful. My most recent lap was in March of this year and then started treatment after that. I am currently on injectables with IUI.
  • Options
    Don't worry these guys are pros, I feel absolutely confident in my doctor and staff...plus I used to intern in OR in H.S....lol
  • Options
    I know it is completely natural to be nervous. I am a PACU recovery room RN and I am super nervous for my anesthesia. Everything is always fine. We are young healthy women, if we weren't we wouldn't be TTC. Tips I can give: afterwards rest but try to walk around as much as the energy you have. Ambulating helps the gas move out of your body quickly.
    Wow. I think I just calmed myself down. ;)
  • Options
    I've had two laparoscopies this year. The first one was to remove my gallbladder in January (in retrospect, it seems like endo may have caused the problems with it). The second one was a hysteroscopy and laparoscopy. I was told it would last 40 min or so maximum. However, I had such severe endo that my surgery lasted 2.5hrs. Despite that, I recuperated more quickly from that second one, and the worst part for me was the hysteroscopy (they corrected the shape of my uterus which led to a lot of bleeding). Just take a week off from work, watch Netflix and relax. It'll be fine :)
  • Options
    I've had four of them. Each of them was to remove and control my endometriosis. Honestly, you just have to listen to your body. Just take your time healing. For the fourth one, I was back to normal after 2 days. They aren't bad at all. 
    Baby #2 coming in August!
  • Options
    Thanks all, just completed my procedure yesterday, home relaxing and recovering. Some mild cramps, bloating and spotting. As expected all the staff and doctors were exceptional, feel I am in good hands. Thanks Dr. Kofinas, your the best!
  • Options
    @pmakrillos

What did they find? Anything that can help you with your TTC journey? I'm getting so nervous for mine :(
    Me 30 Hubby 32
    TTC#1

• Options
    I'm scheduled for a wound check on Tuesday then a follow up appointment to discuss the results and our next steps...anguish and suspense til then, perhaps that's why I can't sleep. ...I'll post my results then...
  • Options
    Keep us posted! I saw your post about not sleeping, but how are you feeling otherwise?
  • Options
    Ok, not bad, trying to ween myself back to some food now. ..
  • Options
    I have had 4 laparoscopy surgeries , 2 specifically for infertility by my infertility doctor. Did ivf shortly after and now have a two year old ;) just had another surgery then a transfer shortly after and pregnant with my second ;) make sure to move around once you feel better! It helps speed up the recovery and less chances of constipation from pain meds!
  • Options
    Ok thanks, the prep and pre surgery process did more number on me than surgery. Told not to workout for 2 wks....can't easily get back to normal food again, trying to walk around a bit, stitches tugging at me still..
  • Options
    @KidShrink @Knottie36622473 @drumski Hi guys, had my follow up visit. RE told me he removed a few fibroids and endo present (about stage 2 endo), seems that my tubes could be blocked but no matter, we and my RE decided to begin my first IVF due to my age....So nervous and wired about how many eggs I'll be able to lay..worry about costs and insurance, success rates. If that's not enough, I am starting a new job on Thursday (the very day my RE wants to start my IVF). Way too much stress and activity for me to handle my IVF at this time so I decided to take a few weeks, settle into new work environment and then start in early October.
    My bloodwork and his #s were good but let's see how many eggs I can have at 47.
  • Options
    Well, the good news is that success is much higher with IVF, so hopefully when you're getting into it, you won't have to wait too long to get your BFP! Glad they figured out what was going on, and hopefully that speeds things up for you! Good luck with the new job too!
  • Options
    Just take it one day at a time.=)
    Baby #2 coming in August!