1st Trimester
Options

Sorrow for a friend who lost a baby

My friend just lost her baby a few days after birth. After hearing this news, my heart has grown completely heavy and morose. To see how easy it is to lose a child completely tears me a part. It scares me for my own child's health. Has anyone had a friend who lost a baby as well. How do I show my sympathy? flowers? Cards? What do I say when I see her?

Re: Sorrow for a friend who lost a baby

• Options
    We lost our second son during labor. He was stillborn. When you see her you don't have to say anything special, just that you love her and give her a hug. She will need that. Taking a meal is helpful so she doesn't have to worry about that. Also, please anytime you speak to her say the baby's name. Don't think you saying the baby's name will hurt her or remind her that the baby died. She knows, and it's a beautiful thing when the people close to you acknowledge that your baby lived. Saying his/her name does just that. Understand that her grieving will be a process, and this has changed her forever. Love her well. She needs her friends and family. Praying for her.

As a side note: a great book regarding how to love a friend/family member who has lost a baby is I Will Carry You by Angie Smith.
  • Options
    My best friend just lost her baby girl 2 weeks ago. She was 39 weeks pregnant & she was still born. Hardest thing I've had to go thru knowing how much pain my best friend was in.. Scares me for my pregnancy so much. Their little lives are so fragile. But since we live 4 hours apart from each other I sent her flowers. & her family also did something called takethemameal.com & everyone signed up for nights to take them dinner. Last night was my night & i pay paled money to one of her friends there & she took them dinner for me. She told me the flowers brightened up their home so much & was super thankful for dinner. Also I just text her every morning telling her I love her & that I'm praying so hard for healing & comfort for them.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MamaBishMamaBish member
    edited July 2015
    Hi, I lost my baby girl at 28 weeks pg, she was born stillborn.

The best thing you can do is just tell her you are so sorry for her loss and that you are here for her. I liked the flowers and cards even though they were a bit triggering, it was nice to know people cared. Meals are good too, but just drop it off if it doesn't seem like she invites you in, don't take it personal if she does. Do not say things like, "it's god's plan", "everything happens for a reason," etc. Just don't.

Just hug her and listen. If she doesn't feel like talking, just sit with her. It's good to have someone know it's ok to just sit together.

And don't disappear after a month or two. Continue to check in periodically for months.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015