May 2015 Moms
Options

Early Mayers still hanging in there dilation and effacement check in!

Ive read and heard so many different things when it comes to dilation , effacement, and labour. So I would like to see where everyone is and where they are once labour actually starts. I'm 38 weeks and 2 days and go for my 38 week check up Thursday. As of the past two weeks I've only been a finger tip dilated but I have gone from 50% effaced to 75% effaced. Hoping for full effacement this Thursday and some dilation! I've heard it's better to be effaced than it is to actually be dilated but I know you need both to actually get things going! This is my second child but the first I am being given the chance to let my body so it's own thing. I was in a car accident with my first and induced at 38 weeks.

Re: Early Mayers still hanging in there dilation and effacement check in!

• Options
    I don't have a clue! I don't think my midwife does internal exams? And I honestly don't think they are necessary. whatever happens happens!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    laurenbrnwedlaurenbrnwed member
    edited April 2015
    I'm due May 5 with my first which puts me at 39 weeks today. The last 2 weeks I was only about 1cm & 75% effaced. Last week I had my membranes stripped with not much action. I've had contractions the last 4 days so I'm hoping that I've had some progression. I'm going to ask to have my membranes stripped again today. Fingers crossed!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    TBsquared said:

I don't have a clue! I don't think my midwife does internal exams? And I honestly don't think they are necessary. whatever happens happens!

Neither does mine unless absolutely necessary. I kind of like not knowing... but I kind of don't like it. lol

• Options
    I have not been checked yet, by my own choice. I don't want to have them try to encourage me into something like having the membranes swept before my the due date, which I know certain doctors at my practice would try to do. 

I'm considering letting them do either or both if I pass my due date, but at the same time I'm really in no rush. 
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Options
    My doctor starts checking at 38 weeks (which was last week). At last appointment I was 3 cm and 70% effaced. I go back in two days for my 39 week check and then May 5th for my "overdue" check. 
  • Options

TBsquared said:

Neither does mine unless absolutely necessary. I kind of like not knowing... but I kind of don't like it. lol

My doc doesn't seem to do it either. I guess I'll find out at my 38 wk appointment tomorrow but usually they give me a heads up if anything new will be happening at my next appointment and they didn't last week. Doesn't really seem necessary to me either unless you're showing symptoms of pre-labor/labor.
  • Options
    I don't know at this point! But just had some bloody show today so things are progressing!
  • Options
    Ftm and 38+3. My first cervical check will be next Tuesday at my 39wk appointment so I have no idea yet! Hoping for some action since I'm supposed to be induced at the end of next week!
  • Options
    Due the 7th, which makes me 38 + 5 and I just had cervidil placed to hopefully jump start some dilation. No dilation yet, but we failed our BPP this morning so I have to be induced. Really hoping this cervidil works...
  • Options
    At 36 weeks I was 1 cm and 60%. At 37 weeks I was 2 cm and 70%. I go in tomorrow for my 38 week appt so we'll see if any more progress has been mad. My dr will sweep my membranes next week if that doesn't work he'll break my water for induction on the 8th. I have cholestasis so we have been keeping an eye on baby with BPP ultrasounds every week. I have had a csection on the past so they won't induce with pitocin. Hoping the membrane sweep next week works
  • Options
    39 weeks 3 days 3 cm dilated 25% effaced
  • Options
    I'm due may 2nd and my midwife doesn't do checks til about 40 weeks so my first exam will be Thursday when I'm 2 days shy of my due date simply because they want to know if they need to discuss the chance of induction with me. Until then, I'm content not knowing.
  • Options
    I'm 38 weeks +5 days. My appointment was yesterday. No dilation but 70% effaced.
  • Options
    Also due May 7th. 38+5. Only 9 days to go! I have an appointment Thursday. So far I'm at 1 1/2 cm dilated. Idk my effacement didn't ask and dr didn't tell me she just said that my cervix is very thin but still pretty high. She said good progress for ftm. Been dilated since 36 weeks. Having period like cramps right now which is new. Hopefully it's some progress.
  • Options
    odawgodawg member
    Due May 10th and I am almost 2 cm's dilated- no idea on effacement :( 
  • Options
    38 weeks and 3 days. I have had horrible false labor. And last I was checked last week I was only a finger tip dialated no idea on effacement.
  • Options
    Due May 7th. 2nd time mom. Checked at 38 week and was 1.5 cm 50%. Had crazy false/early labor contractions (still not sure I know the difference) all week. Went in yesterday checked at 2cm - said I felt a decrease in fetal movement. Immediately sent me for NST at hospital. All is good and provided a good reassurance that the baby is fine. Anxious to get this going!
  • Options
    I'm due May 4th, 50% effaced but cervix is closed.  I'm somewhat comforted that my cervix is closed because baby is still not head down (but doing acrobatics everyday).  My doctors say I'm weird (that there is still room for her to move). :)
  • Options
    39 weeks 3 cm and 80% effaced. She is stripping my membranes on Thursday to hopefully avoid induction this time.
  • Options
    Due May 4th so I'm 39 weeks 1 day! I had an appt today...Doctor says I'm dilated 2 cm but my cervix is "way far back" ....what on earth does this mean?! Is that effacement? He hasn't said anything about me being effaced. So I'm kind of confused and he seems like he's in such a rush when I'm there, it's overwhelming. Usually I'm a great advocate for myself but he makes me feel so frazzled when I finally do get face time with him... Any thoughts, ladies?!
  • Options
    At 37 I was 2 cm and 60% effaced then this last appointment I went to I'm now 39 weeks and 3 cm dilated with 80%! But I'm being induced May 4th C: if he waits that long!
  • Options
    Due May 12 and I'm a FTM. They started checking me at 36 weeks. I'm 38 today. At my
    appointment last Wed I was 80% effaced but not dilated yet. I go back in on Thursday this week so we'll see what's happening.
  • Options
    I'm 37 wks and 90% effaced no dilation.
  • Options
    QueenVict0riaQueenVict0ria member
    edited April 2015
    ellekru said:

Due May 4th so I'm 39 weeks 1 day! I had an appt today...Doctor says I'm dilated 2 cm but my cervix is "way far back" ....what on earth does this mean?! Is that effacement? He hasn't said anything about me being effaced. So I'm kind of confused and he seems like he's in such a rush when I'm there, it's overwhelming.

@ellekru My dr is the EXACT same way. In and out before i can even ask questions. At 36 when she said i was at a 1 I'm like ok what does that mean. "It means ur cervix is open 1cm"
    Still was kinda confused shes all "cya next week!" Next week she was on vacay so another dr (seen her twice) checked me i was at 1 1/2 she explained it and even drew a pic for me and I didn't even ask. I wish I had her as my dr instead :-/. anwho to answer ur question i googled it cuz i was kinda the same like wtf does that mean & dr is out the door already. This shows a pic

https://www.m.webmd.com/baby/cervical-effacement with effacement i guess ur cervix thins but also comes down. So u can be thin but still up high like i am or just still up high. But if ur dilated I'm assuming u would be somewhat thinned/effaced as well.
  • Options
    Due May 7th (38+5), last week I had no developments other than a soft cervix haha. My doc was like "walk around a lot"... So I've been waddling..
  • Options
    I'm 38 weeks tomorrow. 2 cm and 60% effaced for two weeks !! :( she did say the head was low today so maybe that's good. I'm ready to have this baby
  • Options
    Due 4/30. No progress in the past 3 weeks, although baby is riding low. Will have induction 5/4 if LO doesnt appear before then. Trying to enjoy these last few days with just DH and I going out to eat and movies.
  • Options

ellekru said:

Due May 4th so I'm 39 weeks 1 day! I had an appt today...Doctor says I'm dilated 2 cm but my cervix is "way far back" ....what on earth does this mean?! Is that effacement? He hasn't said anything about me being effaced. So I'm kind of confused and he seems like he's in such a rush when I'm there, it's overwhelming.

@ellekru My dr is the EXACT same way. In and out before i can even ask questions. At 36 when she said i was at a 1 I'm like ok what does that mean. "It means ur cervix is open 1cm"
    Still was kinda confused shes all "cya next week!" Next week she was on vacay so another dr (seen her twice) checked me i was at 1 1/2 she explained it and even drew a pic for me and I didn't even ask. I wish I had her as my dr instead :-/. anwho to answer ur question i googled it cuz i was kinda the same like wtf does that mean & dr is out the door already. This shows a pic

https://www.m.webmd.com/baby/cervical-effacement with effacement i guess ur cervix thins but also comes down. So u can be thin but still up high like i am or just still up high. But if ur dilated I'm assuming u would be somewhat thinned/effaced as well.
    Thanks for the picture! That actually helps a little ;) so frustrating that our doctors are so preoccupied with other things... They make way too much money to be so distant and non present. Haha good luck! Hopefully you deliver soon! xo.
  • Options
    As of Monday i'm 1cm and 50% effaced, sigh.... I'm 38 weeks and 4 days. DR said he wants to schedule induction for next wed or thurs. I think because of my GD. Baby is measuring 7.13 so not too bad.
    For this Child I prayed...<3

• Options
    I am 39+3, as of today 1cm dialated and 0% effaced! Pretty bummed and convincing myself that induction is not so bad after all, since my dr. Wants to induce by end of 40 due to decreased baby movement. It just sucks feeling that your body does not want to do what it's supposed to.
  • Options
    38 weeks 2 days... 3 cm dilated and 75% effaced... lots of pains going on down yonder hoping things are progressing!
  • Options
    As of Thursday (then I was 38+1), I was 2 cm dilated. Doc didn't say anything about effacement, but said that he could feel the baby's head through the tiny space that is open in my cervix. I go in for my 39 week appointment tomorrow, and they will tell me if I have progressed any. Due May 6th, and trying not to think about how far I have progressed. Unless they tell me that I am 4 or 5 tomorrow, I don't think it really makes a difference. It could mean anything and everything. 
  • Options
    Due 5/4...at my appt 5 days ago my doctor said the head was "as low as he's ever seen it", and I read up on this and saw they rank these as "stations". I asked at my appt today and he said I'm a +1 station which is unheard of still walking around and labor would be much faster due to him being already in position and more. 5 days ago he said he'd be stunned if I didn't have the baby in the next week.

Fast forward to today's appt, not much change, 80% effaced and can't tell how dialated due to cervix posterior still and the head so far out. He kept his mouth closed about when the babies coming because I know he was shocked I haven't had him yet.

Some cramping/contractions after appt 5 days ago but very inconsistant since then. He says we don't need to even discuss post due date inducement but now I'm not so sure...
  • Options
    I am 38+5 as well, and have been 90% effaced and 1 1/2 - 2 cm dilated since 37 wks.  I go again on Friday for my 39 wk check up, but talked to my husband about asking the doc not be checked.  It was REALLY painful the last time I got checked.  Not so much the actual checking, but the after effect.  I cramped up so bad, had a hard time walking, sitting, standing, laying... it just sucked, and it's not like it induced labor.      
  • Options

TBsquared said:

I thought I was the only one. Haha I hear all these ladies saying they've been checked. But my doctor said she feels unless I have major labor pains or contractions, she won't check because I could be dilated for weeks and the baby can take her sweet old time. It makes sense Im ok with it, but it's also aggravating because I just want to know when she will come. But that won't answer my frustrations anyway. She just made sure she is head down, and now our visits consist of making sure blood pressure is ok.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    39 weeks today and I guess I can go ahead and supply an update following my checkup today....second baby and just like the first, Nada on dilation. Went overdue last time and I guess it's looking likely that this one could go the same route. 

I don't really feel that being checked is overly useful, until you are actually in labor. But my OB today made the argument that since it wasn't my first baby, and later babies can come more quickly, it's helpful to know if you're already 3-4 and would need to possibly book it to make it to the hospital in time. I've actually seen a few car babies happen around here so that seemed like a reasonable argument to me.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Options
    ldmwldmw member
    39w5d - 1.5cm, 60%effaced. Having a lot of contractions (regular enough to go into hospital to be monitored) but making no dilation progress. Talking induction next week which is a major disappointment.
  • Options
    39+5, due Friday! Last week I had an extremely painful cervical check and was 1cm or less dilated, and 0 effaced. Today I went for another cervical check, this time much more tolerable, and there was no change. I go back Monday to check on LO, and if no changes, we schedule induction.
  • Options
    39+5 2-3 cm dilated. Do not know about effacement. Dr said my cervix was very very soft when he did the sweep.