2nd Trimester
Options

Breast pump covered by insurance

Hey ladies,

It's been a while since I posted so I'm not sure if this was a topic already discussed or not. Check with your insurance to see if you are eligible to receive a Medela or Ameda breast pump. All I needed was a prescription from my OB. I just got mine in the mail today. Saved me 300 bucks.. just thought I'd passed the info along to those who may not have known.

Have a great night.

Re: Breast pump covered by insurance

• Options
    If your on WIC depending on where you live you can get a free breast pump. Medicaid (again depends on your location) can also supply a breast pump depending on your insurance.  :)>-
    BabyGagaPitaPata Cat tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I was able to get the Medela Pump in Style Advanced.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My insurance pays 100% for Medela Pump in Style advanced, Ameda purely yours, Freemie Freedom deluxe , or Hygeia Q pump. 

I am leaning towards getting the Medela pump, and then buying some freemie cups to use with it. I'll try it before I decide if I need hospital grade instead. I'm still trying to decide on bottles and milk storage though. Our babe should only ever be away from me for 5 hours tops and by that time will be several months old - so trying to figure out the easiest way to make and store bottles and how many we will need. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I just ordered mine. If you call up your insurance, they will give you suppliers to contact. The suppliers will tell you which pumps they offer (mine covered 100% but check your benefits when you call the insurance), then they will order the pump, process through your insurance, and get a script from your doctor!

All from the comfort of you sofa!! 

• Options
    That's strange. I called my insurance company a few weeks ago and asked about this, but they told me breast pumps aren't covered under our policy. Hmm.
  • Options

That's strange. I called my insurance company a few weeks ago and asked about this, but they told me breast pumps aren't covered under our policy. Hmm.

Yes definitely look into this further. What kind of plan do you have if you don't mind me asking.
  • Options
    How long before your due date did you receive your pump?

• Options
    I am not covered to get one either. I have HP and I am not grandfathered in.. Only have had this plan for about 6 months.
  • Options
    @LittleBunnyFuFu‌ I'll do that. I was thinking maybe I got someone who didn't know what they were talking about. I'm covered through my husband's insurance. @imsohappy077‌ It's a BCBS PPO and we've only had it for about 8 months or so.
  • Options
    @fostersstudio‌ that's strange. I too am covered under DH's BCBS insurance. So they should cover it. I live in NJ but I don't think that should make much of a difference.

@lyndzandtom‌ I'm due the end of January and I received my pump about two weeks ago. Some pharmacies make you wait a month before the baby is due.
  • Options
    @LittleBunnyFuFu‌ I'll do that. I was thinking maybe I got someone who didn't know what they were talking about. I'm covered through my husband's insurance. @imsohappy077‌ It's a BCBS PPO and we've only had it for about 8 months or so.
    I have BCBS PPO as well (in MD), and they cover pumps as well- although I have been with the plan for a few years.  I would definitely give them another call.
  • Options
    I called my insurance company, and they only cover the rental of a hospital grade pump for 3 month. I figured that was kind of useless because I plan on being off for 3 months, and then going back to work and I plan on pumping longer than 3 months. I do get a 20 percent discount on the Medela, but that's only if I were to get it from the hospital I work ats medical supply not because of my insurance.  Luckily my mother-in-law purchased one yesterday which was an awesome cost saver since that was the last "big" item I felt was a necessity that we didn't have yet. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I am not covered to get one either. I have HP and I am not grandfathered in.. Only have had this plan for about 6 months.
    The plan itself would be considered grandfathered in not you. For example I have Tricare (military issuance) And while I've only had it for about 9 months or so the plan itself is considered grandfathered and the changes from the affordable care act do not apply to me or my family. So no free pump for me. Though I don't know what kind of insurances HP stands for but essentially most government insurance as well as group plans that existed before 2010 that a company opted to keep that met minimum requirements are all considered grandfathered plans. There is a little more to it but that is the jist. 
  • Options

*popping in from 1st tri! Our insurance doesn't cover anything on breast pumps either :( I thinj we're grandfathered in on our plan, but even so, our premiums doubled after Obama care took effect. Boo!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    Does anyone know if Medicaid in Texas covers a pump?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"