Working Moms
Options

Need to Vent; losing pump room at work

We have two designated pump rooms at my office.  One is tiny and hot and really only accommodates one person, and is only accessible with a key.  The other is a bit larger, but anyone with a passcard can let themselves in.  There is a "Do Not Disturb" sign pumping moms are supposed to put up so people don't just barge in, but this results in lots of knocking.  Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I don't want to deal with people pounding on the door while I am pumping.  Fortunately, there is a file room on the floor where I work that is only accessible by key, and the manager who holds that key is herself a working mom and has given it over to myself and a co-worker.  It's been great with just the two of us using it! We got on a nice schedule of who goes when, and just this morning we were both thinking how great things were going and feeling pretty happy.

Then came the email.

Apparently the file room needs to be cleared out asap so it can used for other purposes.  My co-worker and I are so sad.  We don't know how much longer we will get to use it.  Now we'll have to travel to another floor every time, and HOPE that a room will be available (there are several women currently pumping at work in my company.  Try to coordinate multiple ladies pumping 3x a day with only two rooms, one of which no one wants to use for fear of knocking/barging in. UUUGHHH).

I am just so disappointed.  Just when things felt good.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Need to Vent; losing pump room at work

• Options
    That sucks.  I'd try to get some sort of schedule set up for the rooms.  I've heard of women using a shared calendar for this purpose.  And for the room that people knock/barge in, can you put a chair in front of the door?  It's not ideal, but if I had to pump in that room, I'd put a big Do Not Disturb sign on the door, then block the door with a chair, a door stopper, or something when I'm in there.

imageimage
  • Options
    VORVOR member
    For the room w/  badge access, I'd actually put up a sign w/ the date and time so that people KNOW that it's presently occupied.  As in "10/16/2014 Room is occupied from 1:00 - 1:30.  Do not disturb". 

This  might help in the knocking.  I'm sure people knock because the generic sign gets left up by accident.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have a shared calendar at work for our pumping room.  It's set up in Outlook as a conference room for scheduling but labeled Nursing Mothers Room. The schedule has worked out good.  We only have 1 room that accommodates 1 person for a 3 floor building.  Surprisingly it has all worked out good. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The shared calendar is a great idea! As is the sign with times, thanks ladies!  And @socialmediamommy, I probably am overreacting....I've only been back at work for a week and just when I felt I had a good routine going it was all shook up and I went all Sensitive Sally...and uh, postpartum hormones?? Can I still legitimately claim those at 8 weeks?? ;)

I guess I should get used to things being shook up, now that I have a baby and all.  :)  

I appreciate everyone's input! 
  • Options
    Am currently pumping in the prayer room where i work (in an office in a shopping mall so the room gets used by employees and shoppers) Pumping in this country is almost completrly foriegn and women walk in to use the prayer room all day long, no knocking since its a ladies public space. I wear a cover and face away from the door but i'm very worried they'd tell me that someone has complained and that am not allowed to pump in there. The mall manager has already made it clear he is uncomfortable with me pumping at work and unfortunately there is no other space for me to use if i get asked not to use that space... I'd have to reconsider my feeding option all together
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Options
    @NADA-H, I'm so sorry, that sounds really stressful!  I hope you can continue using the prayer room, sending support vibes to you!
  • Options
    I'm jealous of all of you with mother's room to pump in.  I'm already feeling anxious about having to use the women's locker room here and I'm not even BF a baby yet!
    TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
    1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
    10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
    3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Id ask H/R if the larger room can be turned into a dedicated mothers room, with key only access. then more than one lady could pump at a time. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am now the captain of the Boob Brigade here at work.  A co-worker showed me the other rooms, and oy vey!  While I am glad they have designated rooms for us (@justjinny, I'm sorry they don't provide a room for you!  I thought companies had to by law??  Sending you hugs and support!), the furniture they have in there....you should see these chairs.  they are like toddler chairs.  And the "table" is more suited for a barbie doll, it is so low to the ground. I work in advertising, so a lot of public spaces have "hip" furniture, but come on, the pump rooms are not seen by clients, can we get an adult sized, regular ol' furniture in there please?  When I mentioned this to my (male)boss he was strangely defensive and even made a comment about being offended by women who breastfeed in public. It was very difficult for me to not rip his head off.   

I asked the other women about a shared calendar, but they weren't for it, pointing out how their schedules frequently change.  I know we'll get that all sorted, now that I have seen the rooms I am more concerned with everyone's comfort.

And thanks to your responses, now I kind of hope someone barges in and catches a glimpse of some hot boob-suckage action.  Like you ladies said, that'll learn 'em!
  • Options
    Re: the boss who is "offended": I think I would say, "Okay, here's the deal. Give me some grown up furniture or I'll use the guest chair in your office. M'kay?"
  • Options
    thank you @jaimee2003 I shared my story just to show that it can get even worse sometimes.

lots of people support a parent FF their baby in public and think that it's so cute to watch a baby take a bottle but God forbid you breast feed in public or pump at work! that's is meant to be done in a far away closed room where no one can see 
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Options
    @NADA-H, yes, it really saddens me that so many people feel that way.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"